Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

WineGuy

A-List Customer
Packin' Heat said:
Should I use an after-shave lotion?

Aftershave smells good and has a pleasant bracing feel when splashed on, but in the end they are mostly alcohol and will dry out your skin after you just did such a great job of moisturizing it with the shave soap.

I prefer a shave balm which has the same scents but also nutrients for your skin.

fiddletown

New in Town
I've used hard cake shaving soap with a silver tip badger brush for many years. About a year ago, I finally upgraded to the fine English soaps, and have most recently been using Taylor of Old Bond Street, sandalwood scent. I think there is a difference. I can get a very thick, rich, creamy lather; and that makes for a smooth comfortable shave. I use a Merkur double edge razor with Feather blades.

Years ago I used a cut-throat razor, and that gave an excellent shave. But it's a lot of work, and I ultimately decided not to bother any longer.

BTW, I only shave my neck.

flylot74

One of the Regulars
For about $25-$35 you can buy a vintage "shave ready" straight razor and never buy another blade again. I haven't purchased any blades for years! :)

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I will tell you guys that when I first started shaving several years ago, I only shaved once a week because it was soooo unbearable. As time went on, I aqqired better & better products. Using proper products today such as the correct shaving soap in an Old Spice mug from the 50's, the proper razor such as my Gillette Fusion or the old DE razor that I found in the basement, along with the proper technique, I am actually enjoying shaving!!! I enjoy it so much that as of late I have been shaving every evening after I get out of the shower!!!

Feraud

Bartender
There is a slight learning curve in technique and finding what products agree with your skin. Once those basics are mastered the rest is fun. Accumulating razors, aftershaves, shaving creams, etc. For all the talk about how inexpensive safety razor shaving is compared to disposables I know very few safety razor shavers who have a spartan shaving cabinet. :)

After shaving with my dad's Gillette for nearly 25 years I've become a convert to the Gem. I find these a perfect razor.
Maybe in another 25 years I'll try a straight..

HeyMoe

Practically Family
I am a recent wet shaving convert and after a week of it I will never go back to canned shaving cream or modern razors.

I alternate between a 1966 Gillette DE and a 1920's Gillette Milady (prefer the Milady as it gives a better shave). Using Williams soap in a 1950s Old Spice Mug with a cheap brush and Nivea balm. I expect that as I get more experianced I will move on to higher quality brushes and soaps, but for a start-up, I am very impressed!

Preacher

New in Town
I have a full beard, but still have to do the neck and cheek thing. I use a 1955 Gillette "Super-Speed" with some Wilkinson Blades I got from somewhere. (do not remember where) I use an Italian badger brush, have Williams Soap in the mug, a tube of Gillette Brushless, (which unfortunately they no longer make) but recently found a wonderful lather can be brushed up from Lever 2000 soap. Almost the same texture, (not the right word) as the Gillette, and absolutely no burn, (which I normally have trouble with) I also have a Schick Korona from 1971, a Schick Stick Injector from 73? and some assorted antique razors. For years I shaved with a Schrade LB-7 Lockback knife, or my Crane Straight razor, but age has taken my steady, and I do not wish to cut my own throat. lol

Dulouz

Familiar Face
I just recently switched from Williams soap in my 50s Old Spice Mug to some proper shaving soap. I still use a cheap brush, but the difference is night & day when I replaced my soap!!!

Williams is a tough one. It's a lot of work for a so-so lather. Slick as can be, but not very dense. I have a puck that just kinda sits there. I'm thinking of just throwing it out completely.

Big_e

Practically Family
Here goes my usual shave kit. I use a tin shaving mug in the summer and a thick ceramic in the winter to hold in the heat. Polo by Chelea's Soap garden is my favorite soap. I like Old Spice Sport aftershave when I can get it but usually use Clubman Pinuad.
Ernest

Picture084.jpg

Riposte3

One of the Regulars
Williams is a tough one. It's a lot of work for a so-so lather. Slick as can be, but not very dense. I have a puck that just kinda sits there. I'm thinking of just throwing it out completely.

Agreed. It's better than the canned goop, but still not very good. Even with decent technique, the lather doesn't always want to last through a complete shave, especially with a straight razor. I also found that with Williams the difference between too much water and not enough can be as little as one drop, a new cake would have a "break-in period" where I couldn't get a decent lather for at least the first 3 or 4 shaves, and I would occasionally get a cake that I never could get decent lather out of for some reason (quality control issues?).

I've recently switched to Col. Conk's Lime shaving soap and just as Bruce Wayne says, the difference between Williams and a proper shaving soap is like night and day. I get thicker lather, better lubrication, longer lasting lather, it's easier to get the amount of water "just right", and it even rinses out of my brush and lather bowl easier and much more cleanly. I'm only on my third one, but quality has been consistent so far, and with no break-in period.

Combine that with a good antique Gillette DE razor or a sharp straight razor, and a decent quality Omega brush, and I'm getting better shaves than ever. Even with the poor quality Williams soap, I got better results than I ever did with those multi-bladed or disposable abominations and canned goop.

Dulouz

Familiar Face
I agree with everything you said Riposte3. I have used Conk as well. It's the only locally available soap besides Williams and VDH. I think it's a fantastic soap for the money (~ $3 here). I haven't tried any of the high end soaps like Mitchel's or Tabac...yet.

HHISIII

One of the Regulars
I still use Kiehl's Lite Flite for the brush...
I picked up a Thomas Turner Diamond Edge Razor in an auction lot last night for $7.50 (got some other neat stuff as well) It needs a little restoration (scales are fine, blade has minor surface rust) and a quick hone, but in overall nice shape. 7/8. It's hollow ground with a VERY pronounced bevel reaching about half way up the blade. Should make for a nice shave once cleaned up.

stillwell

New in Town
I usually shave with a gillette double edge razor that was acquired from a flea-market
it gives a good shave (although I think that I am the only person in my school that uses one)
A badger brush and mug suits fine, but I recently found some Omega brushless shaving cream.
it comes in a metal tube and it is the snakes pajamas.
A little bit with some hot water lathered in gives a perfect shave, not too mention a fine feeling afterwords
the shave is close, but very smooth
If you ever come across it, I highly recommend it.
it's hard to come across true brushless shave cream (not aerosol canned) now.

Last edited:

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Is anyone else annoyed that Old Spice cologne & aftershave now comes in plastic bottles instead of glass or ceramic? I picked a new bottle of cologne this afternoon & I need to find a really small funnel to put it into the older glass bottle that I have. Any thoughts?

Thanx!!!
Charlie

Lou

One of the Regulars
Is anyone else annoyed that Old Spice cologne & aftershave now comes in plastic bottles instead of glass or ceramic? I picked a new bottle of cologne this afternoon & I need to find a really small funnel to put it into the older glass bottle that I have. Any thoughts?

Thanx!!!
Charlie

I hate to see any cologne or aftershave in a plastic bottle. Seeing it happen to the iconic Old Spice bottle is even worse. I read on a shaving forum that Aqua Velva was switching to plastic. I'm a fan of AV Musk, and thankfully haven't seen it in plastic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21