Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Bought my younger brother a twin to my GEM Micromatic as a housewarming gift for his new apartment. I'm also going to send him my Gillette DE adjustable and a detailed rundown on my wet-shaving technique.

We both have sensitive skin, and the old gel-and-cartridge technique Dad taught us as kids gives us both razor burn pretty badly if used daily. It probably did Dad too, as he often preferred having stubble if not a beard outright. My brother has worn a beard for that reason, but this past week expressed his desire to try safety razors.

derrickyoung

New in Town
Thanks, DeaconKC!

The good news for this perfectionist is my new Weishi, a cheap ($12-14 US) Chinese copy of a '60s Gillette TTO, looks like a million bucks with perfect chrome plating (again over brass) and, now that I've upgraded to a vintage badger brush I use dry to whip the cream in the mug, gives the best shaves I've had outside a barbershop. Don't let the low price or the funny bad English on the cardboard packaging scare you. It's a fine razor.

I have a Weishi that I use for touch ups or if I am running behind and do not have time for a straight razor. Honestly I think they are a decent razor for the money and I get a decent shave every time I use it.

most of my routine is Straight Razors. I am down to about 12-14 of them as I am trying to be a little more practical. I will probably settle in somewhere around 5-7 razors.
the brush handles in the back have all be restored, the Black and Caramel has a TGN Badger knot installed and the others will get similar knots to complete the restore.
dyimages-albums-uploads-picture95691-imageuploadedbytapatalk1335323628-706383.jpg

dyimages-albums-uploads-picture95122-photo.jpg

dyimages-albums-uploads-picture71194-lot.jpg

Young fogey

One of the Regulars
I have a Weishi that I use for touch ups or if I am running behind and do not have time for a straight razor. Honestly I think they are a decent razor for the money and I get a decent shave every time I use it.

Thanks for the reply. Since my earlier post I upgraded. Found a '60 Gillette DE, nickel finish with no brassing, at a flea market for $20. Did a contest shaving each side of my face with a different DE razor. The '60 Gillette won. The Weishi's a spare.

DoubleXX

One of the Regulars
I got into wet shaving about a year ago. I'm using my late father's 1955 Gillette DE razor and after trying dozens of shaving creams from different brands have it down to a top 3 list:

1) Queen Charlotte Soaps-any of the creams
2) T&H 1805
3) Nancy Boy Signature

I've based that ranking on everything....fragrance, slickness, lather, and cushion.

Best blade for me so far is Feather (Japan).

I haven't gone into any high-end brushes...just using a $15 boar brush and a mid-level T&H badger.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
DoubleXX I'm with you on the 1805. My favorite of the half dozen T&H creams I've tried. I like Feather blades but they only seem to stay sharp for three shaves max. Derby is my go to and at 10 bucks for a sleeve of 100 (shipped) you just can't beat them. I get four or more shave from them to boot. I have a fairly high end badger and it does hold a lot of lather but I prefer a little coarser, less expensive badger or even a Boar for the exfoliation it gives.
Tom D.

sketcherzero

New in Town
I have a Gillette fat boy razor that my dad used in Vietnam and passed on to me. Took awhile to get used to the adjustable settings, but it gives a better shave than any of the cartridge razors I've ever used.

Dennis Young

A-List Customer
Hi fellas! I've been away for some months and cant remember if I've already posted in this thread. But I'm a wet shaver too and use a DE safety razor and brush. also I'm partial to the Russian Gillettes in the blue box, but am still trying out several others including Feather, Blue Bird, Sharks, etc. I'm using DR Harris soap with a Tweezerman brush and a Parker 82R DE razor. I like to finish it off with Musgo Real Balsam. Smells great and completely eliminates any razor burn on me.

Currently I'm hoping to find an old 1962 Gillette DE razor (H4) because that's my birth year. I've found a couple on ebay but the price wasnt right for me, so I'll keep looking. I just bought an old vintage Ever-Ready shave brush (black and white handle). Thats the type my daddy used when I was a child in the early 60s. I'm going to (try) to refurbish it with a new silvertip badger knot as soon as I can.

As far as soaps and aftershaves, I like the DR Harris Arlington soap. I also use the Musgo Real, but occasionally I use Clubman, Old Spice and/or English Leather. :)

Last edited:

BR Gordon

One Too Many
I'm new to DE shaving, but I am enjoying the process of learning about razors and blades. I'm currently rotating between the following razors: Mühle R89, Gillette NEW SC, Gillette NEW LC, both approximately 1930s vintage, 1960+- Gillette Slim adjustable, and a Merkur 11C. I use a superlather of Mystic Water Bay Rum and Proraso. My brushes are: Edwin Jagger 23mm BB, three TNG 24mm super silvertips, and one 18mm silvertip travel brush. My favorite blade to date is the Feather. I'm also making another 18mm travel brush.

I've not been interested in aftershaves, but may try some in the future.

Dreamofgilgamesh

A-List Customer
I use a vintage Gillette Superspeed (40's pattern) that was made in 1953 (One year before i was born) I gives a superb shave used with my Palmolive shaving cream and a badger bristle brush.

One of the things i like about the Superspeed is just knowing that someone else had it before me. Who was he? Where did he live? Of course I'll never know but i find it fascinating to ponder.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I should have posted here forever ago. I was using a straight for some time until it dulled. I can't find any decent places to get it sharpened, so I've resorted to a double edge. I picked up a couple old screw tops from an antique store - one in brass, one in chrome. However, my daily DE is a chromed one from Classic Shaving - the Barber Pole design with butterfly top. Love it!

Dennis Young

A-List Customer
Yep, keep at it. It gets easier. :) But it is by far the best shave I have ever had...far better than my old Gillette Fusion. And I have learned (the hard way) that a good soap does make a difference. Not hatin on Williams, but I used to use one of those Old Spice christmas gift soaps and it wasnt good at all. Smelled good though.

Then I bought the D.R. Harris Arlington soap and it made a ton of difference. Creamier, slicker and the blade was a heckuva lot more forgiving.

There are some good ones to be had too. Truefit & Hill, DR Harris, Edwin Jagger, Taylor of Old Bond, to name a few. I'm not big on the glycerin soaps though like Col Conk, but thats just me.

Last edited:

Metatron

One Too Many
I shave with a safety razor and regular olive oil. I'd freely advise anyone to give it a try, you just rub a small amount of olive oil on your face and shave normally. No hot water or soap required, and because of the natural lubrication from the oil you'll never get burns or cuts.

The Soph Gent

New in Town
I went back to wet shaving about 7 months ago. I then started collecting/selling vintage razors. While hunting in antiques stores, I became interested in old typewriters, phones, electric fans and radios. I got the bug so bad, that I not only remodeled my bathroom (razor stuff) but also remodeled a spare bedroom in 1940's style...which eventually brought me to this site.

IMG_3993.jpg

IMG_3988.jpg

IMG_3989.jpg

IMG_3990.jpg

IMG_3991.jpg

IMG_3992.jpg

BR Gordon

One Too Many
The soaps that I like the best are tallow based soaps. Currently, I'm using Mystic Water Soap, and Mike Natural. If you want a really smooth slippery soap, use a superlather. I add a small amount of shaving cream, Proraso or some other, them lather with my soap. The resulting lather is very slick.

One other thing to try is to experiment with different blades. Not all blades are created equal.

Feraud

Bartender
I should have posted here forever ago. I was using a straight for some time until it dulled.
Some of our experienced straight razor shavers can probably recommend how you can resharpen the razor yourself.

I shave with a safety razor and regular olive oil. I'd freely advise anyone to give it a try, you just rub a small amount of olive oil on your face and shave normally. No hot water or soap required, and because of the natural lubrication from the oil you'll never get burns or cuts.
I am going to try this tonight.

I went back to wet shaving about 7 months ago. I then started collecting/selling vintage razors. While hunting in antiques stores, I became interested in old typewriters, phones, electric fans and radios. I got the bug so bad, that I not only remodeled my bathroom (razor stuff) but also remodeled a spare bedroom in 1940's style...which eventually brought me to this site.
Very nice collection of razors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner