Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

wquiles

Familiar Face
Yes, it shaves great, just like the Feather DX or RG that I normally use:
DSCF0653.JPG

Which makes sense since I am using the same blades as with the Feather razor, and the blade is totally exposed in both of them. Basically I only changed the "holder" for the blade, and instead of the blade being parallel to the handle, the blade is now a "T" to the handle (more like a DE/SE razor).

WW2WaltUSMC

New in Town
I use a Gillette Mach 3 Turbo or a Merkur safety razor from the Art of Shaving Store. Depends on how quickly I'm getting ready. On most days it's the Mach 3, as I needn't worry as much about slicing myself with an open blade. I shave immediately post shower so my beard is at it's softest. I start with AoS' pre-shave oil in sandalwood. This allows the blade to slide more easily over the skin and helps soften the beard further. Next step is to select the razor. If using the Merkur I will slice the blade through a cork which serves as a strop to remove any tiny burrs and imperfections on the blade. Next step is lather. I use AoS' shave soap in sandalwood and a badger brush. Wet the brush with HOT water and whisk the soap into a thick lather. Apply to beard against the grain, this lifts the whiskers up from the skin. Set aside brush and take razor in hand. Shave with the grain first, using short strokes and rinsing often. When I've finished shaving my entire beard with the grain I will re-wet and re-lather and shave against the grain for a baby smooth shave. Rinse face thoroughly and apply a pea sized amount of Nivea post-shave balm. Voila! A clean shave.

O/T: it's good to be back on TFL after a lengthy absence!

ebonysw45

One of the Regulars
Torrey did make very good razors and the bump you see is a patented locking system. It gives a nice shave but I think my Torrey Army razor shaves just that much better. I can recommend a straight razor over anything else. I only use my old gillette safety razor when I travel and it seems so much less elegant than a straight razor. I also don't get any nicks or razor burn as long as I keep the straights honed and stropped.

Last edited:

rtrann9ball

New in Town
Hey Gents! This is my very first post and am very excited! I just started shaving with both a Straight and a Double edge! My Straight is an Art of Shaving Thiers-Issard w/ Bocote wood scales and a Tony Miller Strop.
1655842_10152203397548349_554049603_n.jpg

ChrisT

One of the Regulars
Sometime its hard in France to find double edge razor blade. I just find a seller who have Shark razor blades.
Have anyone here tried them?

Gairdner

New in Town
I'm not a great fan of the Shark Super Stainless blades but you may find they work for you just fine. I do like the Shark Super Chrome blades however. Your best bet is ordering double edge blades online, especially from ebay. I'd particularly recommend the USA-made Personna blades that come in small boxes of 100 in fairly plain blue wrappers. BiC make a great DE blade too but sadly they're not made in France but in Greece. Still a very good, sharp blade for me. The issue of double edge razor blades is extremely variable: what works for one may be loathed by another.

If you need a link or two, let me know, sir.

Best regards,
Graeme

ChrisT

One of the Regulars
Bic blades work well for me, but they are hard to find in my city.
Ordering online could be an option but I prefer going to smalls shops.

Mr Oldschool

One of the Regulars
In response to ChrisT, I've used Treet razors and find them to do a decent job, but they rust quickly, so if you want more than one use out of them, make sure you dry them off in between.

My preferred method of shaving is straight razor, but I also have a double edge safety razor, a single edge disposable straight razor, and a handful of old disposable kits (Mach 3, Schick Quattro, Wilkinson Sword). What I use largely depends on how much time I have and how my face is feeling. If I'm in a hurry but have to shave, the double edge is much quicker than straight shaving, which can take up to 35 minutes, but if I have irritation on my face, I have to use the disposables and settle for a low quality shave until my face heals. A good shave requires a little more time, and rushing things will either result in a lousy shave or injuries to my face (or both). I've learned my lesson not to rush a straight shave. If I have to drop out in the middle, that's the only way to make it quick, but the result is a terrible quality shave. With patience, the payoff is a much finer shave than is possible with a disposable razor. I used to try the electric shavers, but they are a lot of discomfort for a lousy shave.

I go by the handle Mr. Oldschool over at The Shave Den.

ChrisT

One of the Regulars
if you click with your mouse on the pics they will be less small

The razor is clean and it will be easy to use it

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider