Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

Duper

Practically Family
Thanks for the tips fellas. I will leave the beard grow a few days and map my lower neck. Maybe I was going against the grain there.

And the process of learning continues!

,,,Mike

Mr Oldschool

One of the Regulars
Sure thing! Also remember to go slower than you would with a cartridge razor and don't press, just use light short strokes. Any pressure and the razor just wants to dig in.

newsman

One of the Regulars
This is the one I've used for...wow...15 years.

il_570xN.355623049_in2c.jpg

That and some soap and a brush.

I have my grand fathers leather strap and straight razor...but I don't use it often.

Duper

Practically Family
Well week 1, shave #4 went very well over all. I am not sure if was the mapping suggestion which does have credence, or I am more patience with a lighter touch, or perhaps the razor blade has hit its sweet spot. I am enjoying this at least.

,,,Mike

ingineer

One Too Many
A little light bulb came on when I saw this thread surface.
Just because I wear a beard does not mean I don’t shave.
I was sick and tired of all these disposables that never seemed to last and were costing too much money, clogging up, etc
I think I have used every single shaving device known to man, starting with a butterfly opening double edge when I had to be clean shaved for my engineering jobs.
Now I discovered the past improved ;
A Merkur 180 with Persona blades.
The KISS keep it simple system prevents the blade from miss-alignment.
The longer handle feels much more natural in my baseball mitt hands.
A big 40 dollar investment to start, but then 13 cents a blade.
A tiny bit of relearning, let the blade do the work.

Feels much better.

As always YMMV

Richard

Duper

Practically Family
Glad to hear it's improving for you!

BTW, what sort of lather are you using?

I am using an inexpensive shaving cream product from Nivea. It comes in a tube. That and a $12 synthetic shaving brush. The two seem to generate a nice lather. I wasn't sure if I should have invested more and bought a more expensive cream?

Maybe next time I will up the ante for some Proraso.

Feraud

Bartender
If you're getting a decent lather and shave then all is good. One day if you have some extra $$ to spend try another cream. I like G.F. Trumper and Taylor of Old Bond Street. Speick is another good shaving cream with a very particular and acquired scent. Personally I enjoy the evergreen/medicinal-ish aroma.

DesertDan

One Too Many
I recently picked up a jar of Taylor of Old Bond Street Lemon Lime shave cream. I have since added 2 more, I love this stuff!
Yes it is pricey ($18 per jar) but so little is required per shave that a jar will last a long time.

I recently picked up a jar of Taylor of Old Bond Street Lemon Lime shave cream. I have since added 2 more, I love this stuff!
Yes it is pricey ($18 per jar) but so little is required per shave that a jar will last a long time.

I love the Taylor stuff. Lemon-lime is not my favorite flavor, but they're all good, and you're right, one jar will last for months.

KLF

New in Town
I am using an inexpensive shaving cream product from Nivea. It comes in a tube. That and a $12 synthetic shaving brush. The two seem to generate a nice lather. I wasn't sure if I should have invested more and bought a more expensive cream?

Maybe next time I will up the ante for some Proraso.
Nivea is a great cream and inexpensive. Besides Nivea, I use the Mem Olive cream, also inexpensive and very good, it has great skin care.

Duper

Practically Family
Nivea is a great cream and inexpensive. Besides Nivea, I use the Mem Olive cream, also inexpensive and very good, it has great skin care.

I will look for Mem. I started down this path to save on the costs of the cartridge razor replacements so I would like to keep the price down.

Having said that, my wife and son now have a whole new avenue to explore for Fathers Day, Christmas, birthday gifts. If they want to spoil me a bit on special occasions who am I to argue. I will just have to drop the appropriate hints on brands and accessories! :D

Also just had my best shave ever. I think I am getting the swing of it.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Back in my teens(1970s) I taught myself to use a straight razor as I thought it looked cool and had bags of bragging points amongst the Teddy Boys of my era. It was ok but took ages so around the mid 80s I gave it a miss and started using multi blade throwaways.
My barber gave me my first straight razor, known commonly as the 'cut throat' in England. He showed me how to hone and sharpen it properly and generally look after it, I still have that razor today. The razor is a 'Gong' brand, made in Germany and ground in Hamburg where all the best razors are ground. This razor has never been reground, only stropped and still retains the shaving edge.
My barber told me he learnt the art of using these as an apprentice shaving balloons!
Another little anecdote, I had a home visit from an old time police officer for some driving misdemeanour, and in my living room I had been practicing my razor honing. The officer noticed the razor and told me this amusing story. Back in the 1950s when Teddy Boys were a menace to our society, youths suspected of trouble were still stop and searched, much like today. When the suspect was found to be carrying a straight razor and claimed it was for shaving, he would give the boy the razor and asked him to show him the blade. If the boy held the razor like a knife, it was a trip to the station, or worse, to see the boys parents, though most thugs taped the blade leaving just the last inch exposed. Imagine that today! I think the police would at least taser the guy and claim public safety concerns.
J
PS, Nearly forgot, now I use Mach IIIs and Gillette gel

Duper

Practically Family
When I was around 20 (over 30 years back) my local barber would on occasion give me s shave with a straight razor. I never asked for it, he just did it. I was never quite comfortable when he held the blade near my throat. I think today I would decline. Now as for doing it myself,,that is another whole kettle of fish. I would have to have to go through many balloons before I started on myself.

Pop, pop, pop, pop, pop

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
When I was around 20 (over 30 years back) my local barber would on occasion give me s shave with a straight razor. I never asked for it, he just did it. I was never quite comfortable when he held the blade near my throat. I think today I would decline. Now as for doing it myself,,that is another whole kettle of fish. I would have to have to go through many balloons before I started on myself.

Pop, pop, pop, pop, pop
personally I would not worry if offered a straight razor shave, if I needed a shave that is, because these guys are experts. I once saw on TV Sammy Davis Junior do some gun twirling tricks. When he finished the amazing routine the audience burst into applause. Sammy turned to the audience and gave them a puzzled look the said "What are you clapping for? I would not do it if I wasnt any good at it"

Hat Dandy

One of the Regulars
I used to regularly use a straight razor to shave. I still do on occasion. However, I switched to DE razor a number of years ago. Combined with a good silver tip badger brush, Merkur razor and Proraso shaving soap, I get wonderful, smooth shaves. I don't miss the skin irritation and ingrown hairs from multi-bladed razors. I don't mind saving a bundle on shaving gear as well.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Electric is the finest shave I've ever had. But you need to use an electric for 3 weeks before the skin gets used to it. I've tired DE's (for months) multi blades, etc. I sometimes cut myself with an electric, so blades are usually out. That said, I like to shave twice a week so I'm often forced to use a blade. I refuse to spend more than three minutes on a shave (life is too short for grooming BS IMO) so a Mach 3 is ideal. Close and quick with just a little blood. With a DE my bathroom looks like a crime scene. And yes, I have learned the right technique. My skin doesn't care.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
A magnifying shave mirror has made all the difference for me. I now get the closest shave I have ever had; safety razor, brush, and shave soap. The mirror makes the difference because I can see if I have missed anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy