Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

aihpcfl

New in Town
I will give my synthetic fibre brush some second chances, before wasting it. Tried it now the second time. I mean, yes, you can basically use it, but it's not fun with it's too much backbone. So lets see, if it will be soften a little the next five times. If not, then garbage can. It's just a 15 bucks-brush from "nom" by Mühle.

It won't change. I have an old Kent synthetic that I carried in a toiletry bag on 2-3 trips a month for years, and it looks like it just came out of the box new. Talk about backbone with this one! It gives a soft scrub on the face.

By the way, when I replied before I was talking about the feel of the bristle tips on the skin. The overall stiffness, or backbone, is something else. I have a couple synthetics that are soft to the feel, but with very much backbone. I also have synthetics with little backbone like a floppy badger.

To me, the Simpson Trafalgar is a synthetic that is very soft on the skin with just the right amount of backbone, and the price is great. But there are many choices for inexpensive quality synthetic shaving brushes nowadays.

-Merkur 15c
-King C. Gillette DE blade
-Kiehl greybadger brush (similar to Täter 4411)
-Speick shaving cream
-Tabac MAN Gravity after shave

The Speick shaving cream is still excellent! :)

Last edited:
-Merkur 15c
-Gillette Blue II plus
-Kiehl Solingen greybadger brush
-Speick shaving soap stick
-Tüff Herb after shave

-Merkur 15c
-greybadger brush
-Speick shaving cream
-Tüff Herb (Red) after shave

This combination with the classic Speick shaving cream and the classic Gillette blade is always excellent! :)

PrivateEye

One of the Regulars
I got a can of Jack Black Supreme Cream for xmas that I recently started using.

I have a very thick, coarse beard, and this stuff gives a nicer shave than any I've tried - the only downside is it's really thick, and you have to rinse the blade a lot to keep the edges clean.

1930artdeco

Practically Family
I use a safety razor when I shave at the beginning of the week and electric for touch up. Today I got a Kriss Kross blade sharpener. Question is this…there appears to groves in the leather disk. I am not sure if it was manufactured that way or over the years they were worn into it? It still works just fine but I just want to make sure I am getting a 100% sharpening action with it.

Mike

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Still using my old Gillette Knack, Derby blades and sadly am down to my last puck of Crabtree & Evelyn shaving soap. A Colonel Konk Pure Badger brush takes care of the rest.

aihpcfl

New in Town
I think those Col. Conk pure badgers are like that bunny in the battery commercial. Mine saw its 10th birthday years ago.

Derby blades are fantastic for those who like them. I'm one.

Not really familiar with the Knack, but vintage Gillette razors hold up. It's a treat seeing them still being used.

dnjan

One Too Many
Suggest a replacement for Williams Mug Shaving Soap?

I have used Williams shaving soap for years (well, actually decades). It worked fine, was reasonably priced, and didn't have a perfume smell. A few years ago the local drugstore chain quit carrying it, so I started ordering it online (half a dozen or so at a time).
Recently I noticed that I only had one left, so I went to order some more. It seems that Williams Mug Shaving Soap has been discontinued, and the ones that are available are way over-priced.
Could someone suggest a replacement shaving soap for mug use? No smell and reasonably priced would be preferred.

thanks,
Don

DeaconKC

One Too Many

I have used Williams shaving soap for years (well, actually decades). It worked fine, was reasonably priced, and didn't have a perfume smell. A few years ago the local drugstore chain quit carrying it, so I started ordering it online (half a dozen or so at a time).
Recently I noticed that I only had one left, so I went to order some more. It seems that Williams Mug Shaving Soap has been discontinued, and the ones that are available are way over-priced.
Could someone suggest a replacement shaving soap for mug use? No smell and reasonably priced would be preferred.

thanks,
Don
I am now ordering the basic Van der Hagen pucks, they lather quicker than the Williams did, and have a very mild aroma and deliver a rich lather.

aihpcfl

New in Town

thanks,
Don
Try Mitchell's Wool Fat. Some people have trouble lathering it, but you won't have any trouble if Williams worked for you. And I think you will find it much more slick than Williams. It has a light fragrance that doesn't last. Price may seem high, but it takes a long time to go through a puck.

You will have to buy it online. You can find it on Amazon. I've also have ordered from West Coast Shaving.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Try Mitchell's Wool Fat. Some people have trouble lathering it, but you won't have any trouble if Williams worked for you. And I think you will find it much more slick than Williams. It has a light fragrance that doesn't last. Price may seem high, but it takes a long time to go through a puck.

You will have to buy it online. You can find it on Amazon. I've also have ordered from West Coast Shaving.
Seconded. I see you've already placed an order so I won't try to convince you further, but I use Mitchell's Wool Fat soap daily and really like it. As already mentioned, it doesn't lather into a high froth like some soaps do, but it works very well all the same.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Im seeing several "influencers" breathlessly describing this all new way to shave, and they're hawking one of the new (but ordinary) double edged safety razors.

Also, if you haven't followed the Instagram account maulludaniele, it's oddly fun to watch a pro carrying off perfect straight razor shaves, with all the ceremony you could want. Also a lot of product recommendations.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member

thanks,
Don

I used to use Williams pucks also. I'm working my way through two very reasonably priced soaps from Classic Shaving. Bay Rum and Coconut Lime. The scents are quite light and vanish pretty quickly. Lots of great lather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk