Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

Jovan

Suspended
Indeed. I'm going to exchange it for the Mach3 Power if possible. I have cartridges already that will fit it. (I don't know for the life of me why they sell different cartridges for Mach3, Mach3 Power, etc. when they're all the same...) I certainly think the "micro-pulses" make a bit of difference, but that it's a bit of a euphemism for "force feedback shaving." :p

panamag8or

Practically Family
For you mach III guys, most shaving sets you can buy today come with matching brush and mach III razor, in a stand. I also know a place where you can just buy the mach III head, and turn your own handle.

Me personally, I prefer the DE. The multi-blades are meaner to my face. I used the fusion power before I discovered DE.

Ecuador Jim

A-List Customer
Wet shaving is an investment in the tools and techniques as well as time to create a satisfying outcome.

Recall Humphrey Bogart in "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" as he climbs out of the barber chair after a haircut and shave.

I think the use of a shaving scuttle goes a long way to creating a thick lather if you are going to use shaving soap instead of a cream. I just received a Moss scuttle, and it is so much better than the simple mug I had been using.

A scuttle allows you to warm the soap, and whip up an excellent lather in the upper portion of the scuttle.

You gotta invest the time though...a couple of minutes lathering and loading the brush, and a couple of minutes working the lather into your beard.

I use a straight razor at home, but it can be a hassle to keep the edge. Carbon steel supposedly holds a sharper edge, but I use a stainless blade because it's easy to maintain.

I'm considering a safety razor for travel. I travel a lot, try to use carry-on only and TSA takes a dim view of straight razors in your kit! I'm still stuck with a Fusion when I'm on the road. Fast, but not satisfying.

If you are frustrated with your efforts with traditional methods, try getting a real shave at a barber. He or she may be able to help you with your technique. It will also give you something to compare your efforts to. It's a bit like the difference between rubbing your own shoulders and getting a real massage.

Travis

Suspended
Ecuador Jim said:
If you are frustrated with your efforts with traditional methods, try getting a real shave at a barber. He or she may be able to help you with your technique. It will also give you something to compare your efforts to. It's a bit like the difference between rubbing your own shoulders and getting a real massage.

Unfortunately, finding a good old fashioned barber who will give you a massage and a shave isn't as easy for most people as it used to be. If you live in the right place, you might be lucky, but I know from experience that finding a good barber can be pretty hard to do.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Recently replaced the old Norelco with a Braun. Wow and ouch! The Braun shaves so much closer that I can get carried away and get a raw area like the old blade.

Warning to anyone thinking about going from electric to blade- be cautioned that it will take about a month for your face to toughen up so you aren't bleeding every day.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Do you attribute the effect to the other type (Norelco vs. Braun) or to the new blades?

When I changed from a five-year old Norelco to a new one, that was quite a difference. (I had never replaced the blades.)

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Travis said:
Unfortunately, finding a good old fashioned barber who will give you a massage and a shave isn't as easy for most people as it used to be. If you live in the right place, you might be lucky, but I know from experience that finding a good barber can be pretty hard to do.

I was fortunate to find such a barber, but then he passed away. :(

Riposte3

One of the Regulars
Jovan said:
There are some rather good reasons people don't want Wal-Mart coming to their towns. See Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price for those reasons.

Well, the Board of Zoning Appeals ruled that the developer was not bound by the new zoning ordinance because of when and why the area was rezoned. The town council has appealed that decision to the Circuit Court, and will probably lose.

Back on topic, my new, professionally honed straight razor arrived Monday. Because of time constraints with getting ready for work in the mornings, I haven't used it yet. The test is tomorrow.

-Jake

Travis

Suspended
Riposte3 said:
Back on topic, my new, professionally honed straight razor arrived Monday. Because of time constraints with getting ready for work in the mornings, I haven't used it yet. The test is tomorrow.

-Jake

I look forward to a full report.:p

Riposte3

One of the Regulars
Travis said:
I look forward to a full report.:p

The first straight shave:

- A very smooth "end product." Slightly, but noticeably, smoother than with my DE razor.
- A very mild razor burn, reminiscent of when I first shaved off my goatee. I believe this will stop after my face gets used to a straight razor. It may also be related to my technique, as it's mostly on the "curves" (jawline, chin, etc.) and the spot on my neck where the whiskers grow in multiple directions (that spot's tricky with my DE too). Should be fixed with experience.
-One or two "weepers" on my chin. Probably also technique related. Stopped with a styptic pencil, should also be fixed with experience.

All in all, I am very satisfied, and will continue with the straight razor.

-jake

dzacca

New in Town
Riposte3 said:

- A very smooth "end product." Slightly, but noticeably, smoother than with my DE razor.
- A very mild razor burn, reminiscent of when I first shaved off my goatee. I believe this will stop after my face gets used to a straight razor. It may also be related to my technique, as it's mostly on the "curves" (jawline, chin, etc.) and the spot on my neck where the whiskers grow in multiple directions (that spot's tricky with my DE too). Should be fixed with experience.
-One or two "weepers" on my chin. Probably also technique related. Stopped with a styptic pencil, should also be fixed with experience.

-jake

Great to read your report :)

I've just ordered my first straight razor, I hope international delivery won't take too much...

Riposte3

One of the Regulars
dzacca said:
Great to read your report :)

I've just ordered my first straight razor, I hope international delivery won't take too much...

Just a suggestion, if you haven't already, go to StraightRazorPlace and check out the 'Newbies Corner' forum. Especially look at the first two 'sticky' posts. They have a lot of information that kept me from making some expensive (and painful) mistakes.

-Jake

Travis

Suspended
Riposte3 said:

-jake
Excellent report Jake. I'm somewhat inspired, but since I still haven't gotten through a shave with my DE yet without at least one knick (thank God for styptic pencils!), I am convinced I'm not quite ready for the straight razor.

Jovan

Suspended
Okay, I go back on what I said. The single trimming blade on the Fusion Power Phantom works GREAT for the neck, where the skin is more sensitive. I tried it this morning, with great, close results. Just make sure to use plenty of shaving soap and hot water, like any other razor. My neck is much less irritated than by the five bladed side, which works fine for my face.

Ecuador Jim

A-List Customer
Travis said:

Yep, I too lament the passing of the traditional barber and the services that go with it. Having just checked out the Summer edition of Classic Style magazine, it seems you live in a fortunate part of the country. They offered two referrals; one for haircuts, and one for shaves.

For those who cannot find a barber to coach them in the use of a straight razor, ClassicShaving.com offers a DVD on the topic.

Cheers, :)

Valhson

One of the Regulars
I just got and used my first DE. I am not too sure I like it. I know the modern razors are seen as monstrosities but I hate to say that I think it may work better for me. Then again I am sure it is the operator and not the equipment.

I purchased an English made Gillette. It is not the adjustable type either. I just find that the head of the razor is always in the way and not very conveniently angled for shaving the neck area.

I just ordered a new straight razor. My granddad taught me how to shave with that when I was younger but I stopped when I was in the service due to time constraints. Now this thread got me interested in it again so I am looking forward to my new morning partner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner