Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
I was just looking into this the other day. If you type safety razor into the Google lots of options pop up. They seem to vary in price from $50 on up. Shaving mugs, brushes and soap are also readily available. Try www.theartofshaving.com they seem to be on the higher end (and maybe a little over priced on some items) but they have a good selection.

scomce

New in Town
To echo the sentiments of an earlier poster, wet shaving with a double edge razor is the way to go. I have used my Merkur for approximately the past two years and have nothing but good compliments from female friends on my smooth grill!

Actually, a truly good shave starts with a good facial scrub. Try and shave in the shower if you can. The hot water opens the pores and makes your face easier to cut. After scrubbing, use boor brush to scoop a small portion of shaving soap from its container. Don't use the crap in the can--it is worthless. Try some Bond's of London. I can personally vouch for their product as first class.

Next, take the brush to the face, applying it in counter clockwise motion. Up next, the blade. Shave with the grain, rinsing the blade off often to get rid of the crud. Press very lightly against your skin when using a double edge blade, lest ye lacerate thine skin.

Post shave, rinse off with cold water to close the pores and apply alcohol free skin lotion.

Wah-la

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
I use a vintage Gillette with Feather blades. For lather, I use Trumper's Rose soap in a wooden bowl and a badger brush. I tried a lot of different blades before settling on Feather. They gave a noticebly better and more comfortable shave than anything else. The razor is one of the old ones that comes apart to change the blade. The combination results in a closer shave than with any of the multi-blade robo-razors that I've tried. Also, I actually enjoy the experience. I occasionally revert to a Gillette Sensor if I'm in a hurry and have to shave in the shower, since I can do it without a mirror.

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
I use a Gillette Fusion 5-blader along with Hydra Gel during the week. Since I have more time on the weekends, I shave with one of my vintage silver plated Gillette safety razors and Crabtree & Evelyn’s Sandalwood Shave Soap.

This is a Gillette advertisement is from the 1930’s. The prices appear to be quite steep for that period. Of course if you were an actual "Yalie", you probably could have been able to fork up the dough for a solid gold version.
gillette_ad.jpg

Riposte3

One of the Regulars
I've been using a DE razor, brush, and shaving soap in a mug for years, and love it. Anything more than a single blade and I end up with multiple cuts and very irritated skin.

I got the handle brand new at Wally World about 12 years ago. They don't seem to carry them anymore. :( The mug is a Burma-Shave mug my girlfriend at the time gave me. It came with a matching brush, but it came apart a few years ago and I had to replace it.

I have only three problems with my DE razor.
1) I tend to run out of blades about the same time I run out of money for the month, and have to "stretch" the last one an extra 2-4 days. Unfortunately, I have a very tough beard, and I normally only get two days use out of each blade (one for each side), two if I have to stretch it. The second day is never as close a shave as the first, and if I go for a third day I invariably end up with at least one cut.
2) It's getting harder to find blades. My grocery store stopped carrying them, so I have to make an extra stop at the drugstore. And, of course, neither is within walking distance.
3) I recently realized I'm spending about $130 a year on blades. Plus gas and wear and tear on my car whenever I have to make an extra trip to pick them up.

I finally got fed up with those problems. So yesterday I ordered a new straight razor from ClassicShaving.com. If all goes well, it will pay for itself in about 10 months. (Roughly $60 for the razor, $20 to have it professionally honed, and $30 for a strop)

-Jake

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Blade cost?

I paid $9, including shipping, for 100 blades. Even at Wallyworld the blades are only $1.50 for 10.

I have a super heavy beard and I get three to four shaves each. Long run a "cut throat" razor may be cheaper, but it's more trouble and time.

Riposte3

One of the Regulars
Mid-fogey said:
I paid $9, including shipping, for 100 blades. Even at Wallyworld the blades are only $1.50 for 10.

I have a super heavy beard and I get three to four shaves each. Long run a "cut throat" razor may be cheaper, but it's more trouble and time.

It's $5.41 before tax for a 10 pack at CVS. Getting anything at Wallyworld is an hour out of my day once you count travel time and waiting in line (31 registers and no more than 5-6 are ever open at one time). I don't like to mail-order on a regular basis.

Besides, I don't mind the extra trouble or time if I'm not throwing money away.

-Jake

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
What!

No Wallyworld in Hokietown? Wow. You might consider doing the on-line thing. You can get new and used straights, strops, etc. I get my double edge blades at eBay. With shipping they are still under $.10 each. Best of luck whatever you do. I'll say that, since I went to a badger brush and a double edge, I enjoy my shaves and get better results.

Riposte3

One of the Regulars
Mid-fogey said:
No Wallyworld in Hokietown? Wow. You might consider doing the on-line thing. You can get new and used straights, strops, etc. I get my double edge blades at eBay. With shipping they are still under $.10 each. Best of luck whatever you do. I'll say that, since I went to a badger brush and a double edge, I enjoy my shaves and get better results.

The Wallyworld here is in Christiansburg (practically connected to B'burg) which means 15-20 min travel time each way because of traffic, and 15-20 min to park, grab what I want, check out, and leave.

There may be one coming to B'burg in the next year or so, but it's a big political stink, partly because because of the whole NIMBY attitude growing with the "big box" stores, and partly because they'll be putting it right next to an elementary school. :eusa_doh: It actually went to court because the town council changed the zoning laws to require a special use permit for stores over a certain size once they heard it might be a Wal-Mart, but after the developer got the property rezoned to allow a big store.

-Jake

P.S. I was in C'burg the other day to browse the Goodwill, so I stopped at Wallyworld. The one here no longer carries DE blades at all. :mad:

carter

I'll Lock Up
Originally Posted by funneman
I find that conditioner works as a great shaving cream.

The shampoo always runs out first, so there's always plenty of conditioner laying around. It works great, and leaves my skin feeling "baby soft."

Since I leave the house at 5am, I shave in the shower sans mirror.

I figure if Ray Charles could shave himself all those years, I should be able to tough it out in the shower.

It's reassuring to know that at least two other men shave like this.

Just skimmed the entire thread. Got lateral arabesqued by Scott's link :rage: but now I'm back. My Dad worked for the American Safety Razor Company in Verona, VA for years so my brother and I started out with double-edged razors. In the Army, I discovered dry shaving with cold water and a double- edged razor. A real adventure in self laceration.
These days I start in the shower (the heat loosens up your beard) and use a Gilette Fusion and a little conditioner. After showering, I touch up with another Gilette Fusion if needed. Then a dab of Aveda After Shave lotion and I'm good to go.
I used to detest shaving so I just kept a full beard. Only problem was, as I got older, I looked a lot like Santa Claus. Now I shave daily and get an extremely close shave. It's all in that softening up process. :)

Fast

Familiar Face
Best cream ever

There's shaving and SHAVING. There's beards and BEARDS. My brother looks like a skinny U.S. Grant in a coupla' three days. If I go ooooeeee close I get to skip a day. Then there's the skin thing. There are books on shaving and forums on shaving and all kinds of stuff out there. Here's what I learned the hard way.

If you don't like suffering, a CLEAN face, moist heat beforehand, and ARAMIS LAB SERIES MAXIMUM SHAVE CREAM. The down side is you may skin yourself alive and never notice it. Regardless of razor. Their razor defense after shave cream is pretty good too.

If you intend to use a straight razor, you will get cut sooner or later, and probably fairly deeply. I use one every sunday night to knock down the friday to sunday night growth.

Never use a blade if you even think you may possibly be in a hurry or disturbed in any way.

Carpe diem
Fast

Jovan

Suspended
Riposte3 said:
The Wallyworld here is in Christiansburg (practically connected to B'burg) which means 15-20 min travel time each way because of traffic, and 15-20 min to park, grab what I want, check out, and leave.

There may be one coming to B'burg in the next year or so, but it's a big political stink, partly because because of the whole NIMBY attitude growing with the "big box" stores, and partly because they'll be putting it right next to an elementary school. :eusa_doh: It actually went to court because the town council changed the zoning laws to require a special use permit for stores over a certain size once they heard it might be a Wal-Mart, but after the developer got the property rezoned to allow a big store.

-Jake

P.S. I was in C'burg the other day to browse the Goodwill, so I stopped at Wallyworld. The one here no longer carries DE blades at all. :mad:
There are some rather good reasons people don't want Wal-Mart coming to their towns. See Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price for those reasons.

dostacos

Practically Family
I am so tough I pound the hair through my cheeks then chew them up:rolleyes:

that of course might explain why can win a look alike contest for either Santa or Ernest Hemingway:eek:

panamag8or

Practically Family
Riposte3 said:
It's $5.41 before tax for a 10 pack at CVS. Getting anything at Wallyworld is an hour out of my day once you count travel time and waiting in line (31 registers and no more than 5-6 are ever open at one time). I don't like to mail-order on a regular basis.

Besides, I don't mind the extra trouble or time if I'm not throwing money away.

-Jake

DO NOT buy the blades at CVS, wallyworld, or any other drug store. Those are the dregs of the blade world. If you go to Badger&Blade, there is a fellow offering a blade sampler pack for a reasonable price. The difference is amazing, and it gives you a chance to find the blade that is right for you. I did just that, and discovered that Gilette blades from Sweden work best in my vintage razors.

Also, to the poster on the last page who was wondering about vintage vs. modern DE razors They are exactly what you said, blade holders... the design of which hasn't changed in decades. I use vintage razors exclusively, and they do a superb job, and you can get one for less than $10 at an antique store.

Jovan

Suspended
I think that one thread about the Fusion made by Matt should be merged to this one.

I found a Fusion Power Phantom on sale for $10... figured why not. I kind of like it so far. The only thing is, the five blades are a little much (you get razor burn quickly if you make more passes, so I guess just be careful) and the "single trimming blade" is rather useless at shaping sideburns. It's certainly a more effortless shave than a non-powered Mach3, but I almost wish I had just gotten the Mach3 Power, which was sitting next to the Fusion for the same price -- because of the afformentioned reasons. I will say one thing for the powered ones; something about the way they work makes shaving up on my neck much more painless. I've used both with some Proraso and a shaving brush (courtesy of Panama here) for comparison. Whichever way I eventually go, I don't think I'll give up shaving soap. Aerosol cans DO NOT compare.

Travis

Suspended
I have always shaved with a mug and brush, but with a Mach 3 razor. I've always wanted to use a straight razor or an old fashioned double-edged safety razor, but was afraid of scarring myself or bleeding to death or something. Then I found out how cheap I could get blades for the old double-edged safety razors, made the investment, and I'm loving it.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
The five blade Fusion came in the mail as a free sample last week - I'm finding the same as you, Jovan. Any more than one pass and I get a nasty raw patch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24