Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you wear to do aerials?

Tin Pan Sally

I see everything from sailor slacks, culottes, tap pants, vintage dress with garters, jeans, spandex dancewear, wedgies, converse, keds, or expensive Bleyers. What do YOU like to wear to fly through the air?

OcNikki

New in Town
You need to be practical and comfortable if you are doing aerials. I don't suggest wearing heels definitely not blyers (I didn't know they were still around). For shoes wear something that is going to give you a nice solid landing like keds. As for clothing I would suggest wearing something you can move in. I rarely dress vintage so most of the time you can find me in jeans though...

maisie

Practically Family
If you're going for skirts, I used to wear bloomers or ruffly undies

And if you want to be really vintage, don't forget the seamed stocking and garter belt!!

swankysister

New in Town
A cheap (although non-vintage) option would be to sew strips of lace around cotton-lycra bike shorts (those gym tights that go mid thigh to knee-length).

I've heard of (though not seen) a lady who wore a modern g-string during an aerials performance. :eek: Not recommended!

Tin Pan Sally

swankysister said:
A cheap (although non-vintage) option would be to sew strips of lace around cotton-lycra bike shorts (those gym tights that go mid thigh to knee-length).I've heard of (though not seen) a lady who wore a modern g-string during an aerials performance. :eek: Not recommended!

!!!!!!!!!!! Was she swing dancing or pole dancing?
I've resorted to bike shorts under cotton dresses. Friday I just wore the canvas high tops I've had since high school, with high-waisted wide-leg slacks ... I looked like one of the East Side Kids, but hey, whatever works.

Etienne

A-List Customer
I know I'm showing my age here, but has anyone out there seen pettipants lately (maybe on eBay?) There were tons of them in the 60's--very pretty, lovely colors, very practical for modesty, etc. They were sort of like a nylon half-slip but with legs. They came plain or very lacy...Cute!

Irena

One of the Regulars
I was just thinking about pettipants today - I think my mother would really like them. Does anyone know where to find them? None of the stores here carry them.

Wobbely

New in Town
Etienne said:
I know I'm showing my age here, but has anyone out there seen pettipants lately (maybe on eBay?) There were tons of them in the 60's--very pretty, lovely colors, very practical for modesty, etc. They were sort of like a nylon half-slip but with legs. They came plain or very lacy...Cute!

They still make those! LOL I don't know where my niece was shopping (Tn) but she got a kick out of asking me if I had ever seen a slip that looked like shorts. LOL I know she does a lot of shopping at Sears and JC Penney.

Did a quick search and found some listed here for $13.xx.

http://www.etreavis.com/acatalog/Online_Catalog_Womens_Undergarments_and_Ladies_Slips_8.html

CA Rosie

New in Town
Occasionally I see pettipants at Mervyns or Kohls. When I'm not in a team swing dance performance, I wear boxer shorts that my mom made me that have a bright green background and various styles of eyes that glow in the dark.
If its to hot for the whole stockings bit, draw the lines on your legs. Girls use to do this due to the rationing of silk. You just have to remember not to go the whole way up your leg. Stop mid thigh.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I wear vintage tap pants or pettipants underneath my skirts and dresses (I hardly ever wear slacks for dancing)--you can find pettipants at JCPenney or Robinson's. Of course, stockings are a must. A friend taught me how to apply faux stockings with too dark foundation--you smooth it on, stopping mid-thigh (making it darker at the top for the stocking 'top'), draw the seam, apply baby powder and set with hair spray. Looks almost like the real deal, and at WWII events, people get a huge kick out of it!

Vanessa

One Too Many
jitterbugdoll said:
I wear vintage tap pants or pettipants underneath my skirts and dresses (I hardly ever wear slacks for dancing)--you can find pettipants at JCPenney or Robinson's. Of course, stockings are a must. A friend taught me how to apply faux stockings with too dark foundation--you smooth it on, stopping mid-thigh (making it darker at the top for the stocking 'top'), draw the seam, apply baby powder and set with hair spray. Looks almost like the real deal, and at WWII events, people get a huge kick out of it!

Have you seen the spray-on stocking color? I've seen them in a couple of stores - it's meant to specifically look like stockings, not an all-over tan. But they come in several different shades. I myself haven't tried them - but was wondering if anyone else had seen/heard of it? Looks to be easier then foundation and with a quick drawing of the seam, away you go.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I've tried it out--it works all right, though it's not transfer-resistant like it claims!

You still have to smooth it on and out with your hands, so it’s not as it is not spray and go either. But I do use from time to time in the dead of summer, or when I run out of stockings.

I still prefer to use a bottle of cheap Cover Girl foundation in Suntan, for the most authentic shade :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo