Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Does The FL Think of So-called Black Friday?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
To be fair, retailers sometimes honestly miscalculate the pricepont for a given item and make adjustments in price, up or down, as demand dictates.

That's true, of course. The cases that are being highlighted are where a product was priced, say, at £5.99 for 6 months or more, raised to £11.99 for a week, and then marketed at 1/2 Price!!!!! Great Deal!!!!! Was £11.99!!!!!!!!!! New Price £5.99 a week later. Clearly manipulative and false marketing from Lizzie's Boys, and clamped down upon.

Fortunately (or unfortunately) my perusal of the booze aisles is frequent enough that I notice such things!

To be fair, retailers sometimes honestly miscalculate the pricepont for a given item and make adjustments in price, up or down, as demand dictates.

You have to know the real name of Walmart should now be "Chinese Flea Mart". I have had some deep and serious conversations with my Husband about how Walmarts is a large part of the political base of relations between China and the U.S. Being in business for himself, the "China" factor as a supplier surfaced more than one time. If all the goods sold in Walmart and to some of the auto and industrial faction of our economy were replaced tomorrow with any other source, China would more than not, desire a War with the U.S., and then there is the "loan" issue. We owe them for loans so deeply they almost already own the US Banks including the "Fed".

Red Dawn: China Forecloses :p

Chinese+Soldiers+Red+Dawn.jpg

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
All in all, I think that's preferable to shopping yourself into a financial stupor.

I don't tend to agree: other people's drunken antics are far more likely to imspct on my than their wanton spending habits.

^ Absolutely.
The older I get the more I see most people don't care where their products come from, how they are made, or if the products are sub-standard. Most simply want the perception of a bargain and Luxury without wanting to look too close.

The designer handbag market is flooded with knock-offs and lower quality outlet oriented models but people flock to buy this stuff.

I'm content to avoid the holiday shopping madhouse.

Been that way ever since the gods of the free market decided they could make more money selling us lower quality, nd more of the same. A sizeable chunk of the mkret will buy anything with a logo they like - witness the price of a very ordinary, shapeless t shirt shoot through the roof with the application of a Tony Hellfinger logo, or the queues that form at midnight on day of release to buy any old rubbish Apple deign to slap their logo on. People queuec up like to to buy the first iPad without even really knowing what it was. Insanity.

Hopefully the Drunk Bus won't be required following the FLounge event this evening!

Ha! No, we're models of virtuous behaviour, us.

You have to know the real name of Walmart should now be "Chinese Flea Mart". I have had some deep and serious conversations with my Husband about how Walmarts is a large part of the political base of relations between China and the U.S. Being in business for himself, the "China" factor as a supplier surfaced more than one time. If all the goods sold in Walmart and to some of the auto and industrial faction of our economy were replaced tomorrow with any other source, China would more than not, desire a War with the U.S., and then there is the "loan" issue. We owe them for loans so deeply they almost already own the US Banks including the "Fed".

The Chinese own far too much of the US to want to be bothered gonig to war with it - they'd just call in the loan if they wanted to devastate it.

The latest scandal to hit the supermarket industry here is just this kind of practice, mostly but not limited to booze. Fortunately we in the UK have quite strong consumer protection legislation which will lead to a change in practice.

W"e do indeed - much of it stemming from the EU, of course. Jolly good it is too. They've faced down a lot of rip off artists, including RYanair.

Edward

Bartender
I'm ways up for Chinese... or even what passes for the same in the West. :) I think there are quite a few US chains we don't have that could do well here. The more "world food" branded stuff... We're probably at saturation point now with the "All American" brger places.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I don't think we get General Tso's chicken in the UK! Amazing, no, for something so ubiquitous over the pond? There's a niche to fill … hmmmmmm, must have a chat with The Boys.

Oh you'll know if you get ahold of it.
While some people consider it very hot, I think it's okay not lava hot.
Still good though.

What you need are some bhut jolokia. That'll get you moving.:essen:

If you can find a curry house hailing from Bangladesh, especially if the chef comes from Sylhet, go find it and seek a Mirchi Wala dish. Hopefully he won't have watered it down for the American market. You may have to head up Haight, though!:smokin:

Can I get some rooster sauce to put on top of it? Curry isn't hot enough for me.

I can picture the two of you sitting down to a dinner of Chicken a la King...
You know, I can honestly say I don't think I've ever had Chicken a la King. But if we sit down to dinner and one of the side dishes is something like Spanish rice or macaroni and cheese, you can bet there will be a fair amount of Louisiana Hot Sauce poured onto my portion. :essen:

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
LHS is always a good choice.

So the black Friday deals are over, yet the shopping still goes on.
While I did some last minute shopping today, it was because I wanted something from the same store. :D
There wasn't a crowd that I could see, but despite being in a somewhat high end store, and the lack of customers they usually have, the staff still managed to maintain a level of snobbery I've come to expect. Which is why I made the statement (during my purchase) "by the way I'm one of your internet shoppers, I have the items shipped to me and rarely set foot in here." Certainly a crowd pleaser among the snobs. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo