Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What else do you collect?

Panda Moanium

New in Town
It's clear that for many here, hat ownership extends beyond just having enough hats for a particular situation, rather the enjoyment is in the actual collection and accumulation of said headwear.

So, just wondering, are hats the only things that folk around here have more of than they need? Or are you equally obsessive (meant in a nice way) about collecting other items?

For me, shoes are my other main obsession and have been for about fifteen years. Not that I have that many (about a dozen pairs) but have a thing for classic English footwear from the likes of Church, Barker and Grenson. In particular I have a weakness for longwing brogues. I kinda know its an obsession because I get a peculiar enjoyment out of spending hours polishing them all on a far to regular basis. And keeping them all carefully stacked up in their original boxes.

I also collect unusual cuff-links and more recently have started to pick up old style tobacco pipes when and where I come across them. And about ten years ago when I was fairly flush with cash I went through a mad phase of collecting scale model cars - got about four hundred in a fifteen month period before a lack of space forced a cessation.

Maybe it's as well I can't afford right now to just go out and buy all these wonderful hats I come across on the Fedora Lounge....lol

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Other collections

Well, for me, it's civil war artifacts, political campaign buttons, antique photographs, and books.

I have three free standing glass cases and four walls worth of civil war artifacts, several hundred political buttons and photos from 1830 to WWII. As to books I guess I have a thousand or so.

jwalls

Vendor
Pocket watches, firearms, cigar humidors, antique hat making tools. That better be about all I can't afford any more obsessions:eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: .

Panda Moanium

New in Town
Also forgot to mention fountain pens and other fine writing instruments. Although there are precious few opportunities these days to practice the fine art of handwriting - damn these keyboards!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
dust.

As I've said before, I'm no hat collector. If I don't wear it fairly regularly, I sell it.

anon`

One Too Many
Guns, historic European arms and armour (swords in particular), pinup art, video games (the computer sort), books and music. I've also acquired small or fledgling collections of pipes, headphones and amps, computers, militaria (c.1875-1945), and concert memorabilia.

I guess the only clothing-type items I really collect are cuff links and ties, but that's really mostly for variety's sake.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
I'm not a very good collector, because I can't seem to put anything away and just admire it. I have to use it. For me, it's fountain pens and hats, but that's about it. I used to collect games, but I'm about to sell off that hobby, and I don't really have the budget for all of the other stuff I'd like to collect/use.

Edited to add watches and clocks to my list.

M6Classic

One of the Regulars
DICTIONARIES AND OTHER ENGLISH LANGUAGE REFERENCE WORKS

I own twenty-six copies alone of the Merriam Webster New International Dictionary; Second Edition (1934-1961), it is the greatest English language dictionary ever compiled and I am gathering all variants, including the exquisitely rare five volume edition. I presently have perhaps two hundred other volumes both rare...a first American edition of Johnson's Dictionary...and common...every edition of Fowlers'.

Buzz

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I don't really collect hats. I have three. One furfelt trilby and two cheap summer ones.

I have three antique pocket watches.
I have three dozen vintage and modern fountain pens.
I collect almost any music recorded from 1900-1959.
I collect random antiques and vintages.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
riciclaggio-di-denaro.jpg

Mr. Gardner

New in Town
I have recently started seeking out old and/or ivory cigarette holders. There's something about using one that makes tobacco use a bit more elegant (though still unhealthy). If you're going to smoke why not look good doing it. As minor as this may seem it also minimizes "tobacco fingers". I've also been investing in Japanese men's kimono. I only wear them at home but find it a bit like "dressing up" without going out. For under or around 100 bucks you can find some really nice stuff. Stay away from Amazon as you'll only find knock off bathrobe style garbage. For vintage kimono I've had great experiences with a family based company called Ichiroya out of Osaka Japan. For everyday at home wear you'll want a machine washable "Yukata" and Obi sash. Sakura Kimono Market has a good selection and good prices.

Panda Moanium

New in Town
M6Classic said:
I own twenty-six copies alone of the Merriam Webster New International Dictionary; Second Edition (1934-1961), it is the greatest English language dictionary ever compiled and I am gathering all variants, including the exquisitely rare five volume edition. I presently have perhaps two hundred other volumes both rare...a first American edition of Johnson's Dictionary...and common...every edition of Fowlers'.

Buzz

Now that's what I call an interesting subject to collect. Good luck with getting the entire collection.

From your avatar, you must also be a connoisseur of the king of cameras? I once had the pleasure of playing with a Leica M3 of 1958 vintage - what a wonderful piece of engineering! The M9 is firmly on my lust-list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21