What garment I make out of a destroyed WII US NAVY blanket?

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Seth Byrnes, Apr 3, 2021.

1. Seth Byrnes

Seth Byrnes One of the Regulars

Hey all,

I picked up a WWII era US navy blanket in two halves. Apparently the previous owner cut it because the center was badly damaged and their intent was to put a seam right up the middle but they never got to it.

My question is - what sort of garment (or bag) would be a good use of the fabric?

I could stitch the two halves back together but I could also make a blanket shirt... duffle bag....

What do you think? Any photos of recycled blanket garments?

2. regius

regius Call Me a Cab

Use as lining for jacket :)

Edward likes this.
  3. Seth Byrnes

I thought about that! The thing is that blanket lining is not often as heavy as this, and I think it would be incredibly restricting as a lining. As a standalone garment I think it would be fine though.

4. Seth Byrnes

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Le Laboreur makes these great blanket weight chore jackets and it has occurred to me that this might be a worthy pattern to pursue, the jacket would be white with a great blue stripe at the bottom.

robrinay likes this.
  5. robrinay

robrinay One Too Many

That looks like a good project.

6. robrinay

robrinay One Too Many

But maybe do a mock up in a lighter fabric first and if it proves too difficult then a duffel or Mail bag (messenger style vintage US Mail type) would be easier.

7. Ernest P Shackleton

Ernest P Shackleton One Too Many

I have a dream of making a certain anorak out of 2-3 of these blankets. The design is rather complicated, so I think I'd need a pattern maker and seamstress to do it. Nothing I could tackle on my own, and the model anorak isn't cheap. From what Pendleton Mills told me a few years ago, they don't make fabric like this anymore. It would be a shame to throw any of it away. Even gloves, mittens, or mitten liners. A crude scarf. An old tyme bicycling cap. I can think of several basic things to make out of it (I still hope to do that anorak though).

8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim One Too Many

Poncho, perhaps?

9. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean My Mail is Forwarded Here

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Edward

Edward Bartender

My first thought was to send it to a jacket maker to have it used as a lining for either a longer, Winter leather, or a denim jacket.

The chore coat style would be a good option if you want to make something yourself.