Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What garment I make out of a destroyed WII US NAVY blanket?

Seth Byrnes

One of the Regulars
Hey all,

I picked up a WWII era US navy blanket in two halves. Apparently the previous owner cut it because the center was badly damaged and their intent was to put a seam right up the middle but they never got to it.

My question is - what sort of garment (or bag) would be a good use of the fabric?

I could stitch the two halves back together but I could also make a blanket shirt... duffle bag....

What do you think? Any photos of recycled blanket garments?

Seth Byrnes

One of the Regulars
I thought about that! The thing is that blanket lining is not often as heavy as this, and I think it would be incredibly restricting as a lining. As a standalone garment I think it would be fine though.

Seth Byrnes

One of the Regulars
LELAB-WOOL-GRN_1_800x.jpg

1950s-brown-wool-french-work-jacket-front_1024x1024.jpg

Le Laboreur makes these great blanket weight chore jackets and it has occurred to me that this might be a worthy pattern to pursue, the jacket would be white with a great blue stripe at the bottom.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
I have a dream of making a certain anorak out of 2-3 of these blankets. The design is rather complicated, so I think I'd need a pattern maker and seamstress to do it. Nothing I could tackle on my own, and the model anorak isn't cheap. From what Pendleton Mills told me a few years ago, they don't make fabric like this anymore. It would be a shame to throw any of it away. Even gloves, mittens, or mitten liners. A crude scarf. An old tyme bicycling cap. I can think of several basic things to make out of it (I still hope to do that anorak though).

Edward

Bartender
My first thought was to send it to a jacket maker to have it used as a lining for either a longer, Winter leather, or a denim jacket.

The chore coat style would be a good option if you want to make something yourself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider