Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Goes Into Selling a Jacket

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Very nice presentation. Not much profit but seems to be a labor of love though. I wasn't aware what you were doing until now.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Very interesting! I have done this with several older jackets but not to your level of dedication. I really like the idea of steam-cleaning a jacket (fabric) as really, who knows what it's seen. Great that there are folks pout there actively re-purposing vintage clothing.

Peacoat

Bartender
Good job D-man. I hope Scotrace doesn't see you are using a HP. He is totally a Mac man, which, BTW, is what I am typing this on (if you are reading this Scott:)).

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I think the other thing people don't realize with this is that it's a full time job, and my only means of putting food on the table, and paying rent and tuition.
It is a lot of fun (see here: Vintage Picking and Road Tripping with Dinerman), but people don't see the hours behind the scenes that go into each and every thing I sell. With as much work as it is, as unpredictable as the market is and how slim the margins are, I wouldn't be doing it if I didn't love it (or most of it) but it's been much much more than a hobby for the past nine years.

@Peacoat, If I could switch to something else, I would, this HP's been nothing but trouble and is starting to thoroughly wear out (slow, hinges falling off, paint flaking off, etc.)

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Great video, @Dinerman. Thanks for sharing.

Picking ain't what it used to be that's for sure. The old timers used to tell me never buy unless you can safely flip for triple at a minimum. I've never been able to rely on that. With much of the Greatest Generation now gone, so are the Greatest Wardrobes. Plus, immediate access to market value info coupled with a global marketplace (thanks, eBay) has drastically reduced the discount supply line. clearly, there are many more fish in the sea. But my palate for the hunt you still partake in is largely behind me.

Kudos to you, sir. Keep on Huntin!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I have made a purchase from D man...he is so accurate in every thing he does! Hope he can do what he is doing for a long time! Not many people selling have his knowledge from what I see on listings and he details everything so well. Just looking at his eBay listings makes you feel like you are going on a journey back in time.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Thanks so much for the Video and the wonderful Travelog. This thread took me back there to re-read and enjoy. One of the most interesting stories I have read, the photography, the story line,. Yes I got it. I've been to many of those towns you spoke about/pictured but there was much less rust and dust gathering and the paint was fresher. I was searching then, but guitars became my passion. I see those in your pictures. I got what I could with leather jackets, but they never were easy to find. Your presentations are the Best. You find the most interesting items, simple amazing to me you find what you do. I have purchased a couple of jackets and bid on many others. Kicked myself for not getting one that actually brought a good price. Your interest in the History, the times, is a nice weave. Thanks

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Through a lot of digging in resale shops in Illinois, Wisconsin and Iowa that most "hold" leather and wool jackets during Spring & Summer and don't put them out on the racks until Fall, likely early October time frame. Seems that garage sales are still some of the best places to find these deals.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Picking ain't what it used to be that's for sure. The old timers used to tell me never buy unless you can safely flip for triple at a minimum. I've never been able to rely on that. With much of the Greatest Generation now gone, so are the Greatest Wardrobes. Plus, immediate access to market value info coupled with a global marketplace (thanks, eBay) has drastically reduced the discount supply line.
The interweb did the same thing to the used bookstore biz, basically killed it. It's good in the sense that the interweb allows us to access and potentially buy stuff that goes way beyond what might be available in our local area, but on the other hand gone is the fun of digging through old bookstores knowing that someday you'll run across that book you've always wanted...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland