Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do I need to worry about fakes when buying used leather jackets?

mippo

New in Town
If I'm looking to buy a used leather jacket for brands like Freewheelers, Real McCoy's, Himel Bros, Field Leathers, etc. do I need to be wary of people selling low quality knockoffs? Are fakes of these brands common? What are things I should be looking for if I want to avoid fakes?

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Fakes do excist but they're rare. I think it's too expensive to make a convincingly looking fake freewheelers or RMC. They can't use cheap leather because it'll show.

On the other hand, there are tons of fake Belstaff trailmaster jackets so why wouldn't they make fake Freewheelers jackets. Maybe because it's too much of a niche market.

IMG_6216.jpeg
IMG_6217.jpeg
IMG_6218.jpeg

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fakes do excist but they're rare. I think it's too expensive to make a convincingly looking fake freewheelers or RMC. They can't use cheap leather because it'll show.

On the other hand, there are tons of fake Belstaff trailmaster jackets so why wouldn't they make fake Freewheelers jackets. Maybe because it's too much of a niche market.

View attachment 593846 View attachment 593847 View attachment 593848
Sugar Cane did reproduce some jackets with the Californian labels.

As long as it isn’t a Chinese knock-off brand or some other cheap repro you should be fine. Most issues are with re-sellers mis-representing what they have

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It is not too niche of a market AFAIK. I know for a fact that they have fake Real McCoy's deck vest on Taobao and some fake RM Buco tees. I am not talking about copies/knock-offs by Bronson and Bob Dong etc but fake as in with RM labels and tags down to the Ts. I am not sure I have seen any massed produced fake RM leather jackets. There are the fake Belstaff and fake Schott. There seems to be some European made Bucos leather jackets some years ago using some look-a-like labels. I probably won't call those using defunct companies' trademark as fake. But then some resellers do try to pass them off as genuine original Bucos.

Last edited:

Hide'n'seek

One of the Regulars

View attachment 593846 View attachment 593847 View attachment 593848
I can confirm that the Aero isn't legit. We stopped using that label long before we launched Aeromarine. Single layer raw edge side adjusters wrong as is the stepped top stitch on bottom hem.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
If I'm looking to buy a used leather jacket for brands like Freewheelers, Real McCoy's, Himel Bros, Field Leathers, etc. do I need to be wary of people selling low quality knockoffs? Are fakes of these brands common? What are things I should be looking for if I want to avoid fakes?

So as has been shown here, fakes are a real thing, and not always a good deal by any stretch.

What draws you to these brands anyway?

What jackets do you currently own? Or what is your leather jacket experience?

mippo

New in Town
So as has been shown here, fakes are a real thing, and not always a good deal by any stretch.

What draws you to these brands anyway?

What jackets do you currently own? Or what is your leather jacket experience?
I think their jacket designs look really cool. I own a Schott and a Himel. I have very little leather jacket experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner