Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What goodies are on sale!?

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
:eek:fftopic: Sorry to dig out that old thread!!! And while I do this I´ll be a bit off topic, but I don´t think it would pay off to open a whle new tread for my little question... Eventhough the Stop Staring dresses are labelled "Dry clean only"... did any of you ever hand-washed them? It is not very cheap to have them dry-cleaned here, so I´d love to know if any of you ever whshed a dress and if it "survived" Thanks!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I haven't ever hand washed any of their dresses. I'm not sure it would be a good idea though. It really depends on the material. I definitely wouldn't hand wash if it is made out of rayon. That can really mess up the fabric, from what I have experienced. One of the dresses I have from the is made of cotton and spandex. I don't think it would be a good idea to get that wet either, but I've never done it before.
Have you seen those home dry clean kits? I found one in the local pharmacy, and have used it a few times. They work quite well, and can save you a lot of money on dry clean bills. The kit I used is called Dryell...

I just recently got a black and creme colored peplum dress from stop staring, and am overall very happy with it. The style is great, and I was surprised that the fit was perfect. The only thing that I'm not crazy about is the material. It's a cotton lycra blend, which really makes it feel a bit too modern. But, the dress fit's so well, and is really cute. I tried it on for Hem, and he's not one to give too many compliments, and he said it was great, so I guess i'll keep it. It is the perfect thirties style. And although I'm not crazy about the lycra blend, it does make it fit a little better.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Sorry to dig out that old thread!!! And while I do this I´ll be a bit off topic, but I don´t think it would pay off to open a whle new tread for my little question... Eventhough the Stop Staring dresses are labelled "Dry clean only"... did any of you ever hand-washed them? It is not very cheap to have them dry-cleaned here, so I´d love to know if any of you ever whshed a dress and if it "survived" Thanks!

I hand wash mine with no troubles (I've even thrown a couple in the wash--cold water, gentle cycle, hang dry.) The dye tends to bleed a bit, but not terribly so.

And I find rayon hand washes like a dream. Crepe weaves will shrink on you, but can be ironed or steamed back to their original size/shape quite easily.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Sorry, just wanted to bump this thread.
I went to the sample sale at Stop Staring today and got to touch and try on some clothing, finally.
First of all I'd like to say that the staff was so very nice- they were very helpful and even with lots of people in the store they kept the place tidy and organized. It was in a lovely art deco building with lots of changing rooms (something you don't often get at sample sales) and decorated very cute.
The clothing sizes tended to be varying from style to style- some of the dresses I tried on fit and were size meduim- some were small and were too big. They are definately synthetic and stretchy- which accounts for the very form hugging fit- which looks lovely on gals with more definition, should we say, but made me look like a stick figure lol definately better for those well endowed... hehe. There were many dresses I liked but even with discounted prices they were out of my price range. They seem to be decently well made- and if I had the funds I would have purchased them for the prices simply because they're an LA based buisness and I believe their clothing is made here... I could be mistaken, though. There were some adorable styles- definately cuter on than on the hanger. Overall, if you're looking for a more pin-up or rockabilly look, or something to wear day to day instead of precious vintage I would reccomend them- but in a size larger than you usually wear and with proper foundation garments ;)

Jenautica

Familiar Face
Lauren said:
I would reccomend them- but in a size larger than you usually wear and with proper foundation garments ;)

This is the honest to god truth! I lusted after the Annette dress for months. I finally broke down and ordered it in a small. Now, I'm 5'4" and about 110, with no hips but a 34C, so my only concern was the bust on the dress. When it arrived I wrestled into the thing and it pretty much left nothing to the imagination. Daddy-o's was really great about exchanging the dress for a medium, but basically received the same dress with a bigger top on it. From the bust down, it was still uber skin tight. Maybe it's just the fabric that doesn't agree with my shape :(

Do they generally use the same stretchy polyester fabric for all of their dresses?

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
I find the SS dress in a large fit me perfectly, sometimes I think they were made for me! I need a bit of stretch around the tummy as I am a 31 inch but the bust and hip area fit fine! In fact, I have found that SS dresses are the only dresses I can get to fit well! So far anyway.. I will await my lipstick vogue dress and let you all know how that fits!!

Lola Valentine

One of the Regulars
I feel the same as Landgirl about my SS dresses (I now own 12 of them!), they always fit me like a glove, and so far every time that I have ever worn one I have received many compliments from both men and women. But in saying that, when I first tried on a SS dress, I was very skinny, with no chest or hips, and it looked awful on me. But now that I've put some weight on & got my chest and hips back, they look great. So as Lauren said, maybe they are more catered to a specific shape? I'm not sure.

VargasGirl

One of the Regulars
~landgirl~ said:
I find the SS dress in a large fit me perfectly, sometimes I think they were made for me! I need a bit of stretch around the tummy as I am a 31 inch but the bust and hip area fit fine! In fact, I have found that SS dresses are the only dresses I can get to fit well! So far anyway.. I will await my lipstick vogue dress and let you all know how that fits!!
You and I seem to be about the same size- I belive in another post you said you were 5'8", we have a very close waist measurement, the only difference is you have the top half to balance out the middle! I am only a 34 B. :( That makes it hard for me to buy clothes. If I were to get a large SS dress, I feel the mid section would fit well, but the top would be, well, less than filled out.:(

Miss_Bella_Hell

Jenautica said:
This is the honest to god truth! I lusted after the Annette dress for months. I finally broke down and ordered it in a small. Now, I'm 5'4" and about 110, with no hips but a 34C, so my only concern was the bust on the dress. When it arrived I wrestled into the thing and it pretty much left nothing to the imagination. Daddy-o's was really great about exchanging the dress for a medium, but basically received the same dress with a bigger top on it. From the bust down, it was still uber skin tight. Maybe it's just the fabric that doesn't agree with my shape :(

Do they generally use the same stretchy polyester fabric for all of their dresses?

NO!! Only on the ones that say they have stretch. I would steer clear of those. I have a limited edition tomato dress they made a few years back, no stretch, and it fits perfectly and not like spandex!

Daisy Buchanan

I had the pleasure of meeting the creator/owner of Stop Staring at the Queen Mary last month. She saw that I was wearing one of her dresses, so she approached me after the fashion show. Anyway, she informed me that she designs her dresses with the "curvy" in mind. Apparently, one of the reasons she started Stop Staring was she was tired of rarely finding vintage in her size. She new the styles of the era were great for us gals with a "little more here and there", and she wanted to create dresses that flattered those figures. It's funny, I recently had a rapid weight gain and needed to find some dresses for The Queen Mary Event. The only dresses I found that I was comfortable in were the Stop Staring dresses. I do agree, the sizing is a bit wacky. I'd recommend anyone who is buying one to at least go up a size. But, I now own 7 of them, and I get compliments when I wear them. They are also very comfortable. What's also nice is I can wear them on a regular basis and not worry about them, for they aren't vintage. Mine are all holding up very well. I wish I had the opportunity to go to the sample sale, it would have been nice to have the option to buy some of them at a discount. As for price, there are some things I'll spend money on because they fit so well, and have a great vintage flare. Stop Staring is one of those things. Anybody see there Notebook dress!
Anyway, just wanted to let you know that the designer keeps the curvier in mind when she creates her dresses. It's nice to know that someone's thinking of us!:D

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Lola Valentine said:
I feel the same as Landgirl about my SS dresses (I now own 12 of them!), they always fit me like a glove, and so far every time that I have ever worn one I have received many compliments from both men and women. But in saying that, when I first tried on a SS dress, I was very skinny, with no chest or hips, and it looked awful on me. But now that I've put some weight on & got my chest and hips back, they look great. So as Lauren said, maybe they are more catered to a specific shape? I'm not sure.

From whom do you buy your SS dresses Lola? I bought something from Daddyo's before and got so shafted on shipping I won't risk it again. :mad:

I recently ordered a SS skirt from Baby Girl Boutique though, they were fast and cheaper - just sent with USPS instead of UPS.

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
VargasGirl said:
You and I seem to be about the same size- I belive in another post you said you were 5'8", we have a very close waist measurement, the only difference is you have the top half to balance out the middle! I am only a 34 B. :( That makes it hard for me to buy clothes. If I were to get a large SS dress, I feel the mid section would fit well, but the top would be, well, less than filled out.:(

A bullet bra might help that area out!

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
Fleur De Guerre said:
From whom do you buy your SS dresses Lola? I bought something from Daddyo's before and got so shafted on shipping I won't risk it again. :mad:

I recently ordered a SS skirt from Baby Girl Boutique though, they were fast and cheaper - just sent with USPS instead of UPS.

Sorry to butt in :D
I got mine from e-bay, red dresse shop, my babyjo and stop staring.
I was also seriously shafted by daddyos - my bf's mum (who lives in US) bought me one for my birthday and paid for it, asked them to send to me direct.. she told them it was a gift and they charged me on receipt for the whole of the postage and I got charged for import tax. NEVER again!

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Daisy Buchanan said:
I had the pleasure of meeting the creator/owner of Stop Staring at the Queen Mary last month. She saw that I was wearing one of her dresses, so she approached me after the fashion show. Anyway, she informed me that she designs her dresses with the "curvy" in mind. Apparently, one of the reasons she started Stop Staring was she was tired of rarely finding vintage in her size. She new the styles of the era were great for us gals with a "little more here and there", and she wanted to create dresses that flattered those figures.

That's why I love Stop Staring dresses, they fit me like a dream. When I'm wearing jeans and a blouse, most people don't think I'm curvy just because I'm small, but I definitely am! It is so nice to be able to wear a dress that hugs all the right places. Too often I find myself trying on modern dresses that are way too loose in the waist and way too tight in the hips, to the point where I'm almost ripping the seams!

I wen to the sample sale yesterday and ended up buying 3 dresses. If it were cheaper, I would've bought more. I still ended up spending $150!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
~landgirl~ said:
Sorry to butt in :D
I got mine from e-bay, red dresse shop, my babyjo and stop staring.
I was also seriously shafted by daddyos - my bf's mum (who lives in US) bought me one for my birthday and paid for it, asked them to send to me direct.. she told them it was a gift and they charged me on receipt for the whole of the postage and I got charged for import tax. NEVER again!

Sorry LG, I just noticed you said you had several, I think I just saw Lola's "I own 12 of them" in flashing letters of jealousy!

Do mybabyjo ship with usps? I think when I ordered from Daddyos I paid approx £25 for the item and a further £30 for the blasted shipping/freight/brokerage/some other nonsense. What a waste of time and money.

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
Actually I think yes, UPS - I can't remember the cost now.

I just ordered a skirt from red dresse shop and paid $17 shipping , so it might be worth looking at their selection of SS dresses!

We could always order a dress each and share the shipping costs, you are only up the road! :)

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I just went on Red Dress Shoppe, eugh how annoying that the dress I have is now on sale! Isn't that just TYPICAL! :rolleyes:

But they do have some nice new ones on there! Might be a good idea to share shipping on something, except it will have to go to you given my appalling track record on posting stuff out. Good thing I don't sell much on ebay, I completely suck! :p

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Daisy Buchanan said:
I had the pleasure of meeting the creator/owner of Stop Staring at the Queen Mary last month. She saw that I was wearing one of her dresses, so she approached me after the fashion show. Anyway, she informed me that she designs her dresses with the "curvy" in mind. Apparently, one of the reasons she started Stop Staring was she was tired of rarely finding vintage in her size. She new the styles of the era were great for us gals with a "little more here and there", and she wanted to create dresses that flattered those figures.

That makes perfect sense! The dresses look lovely on lots of women, and I really wish they looked better on me, because as Daisy said, it would be nice to have dresses and not have to worry about them because they're new- and ones I didn't have to make myself- sometimes it's just so much nicer to buy off the peg!

Lola Valentine

One of the Regulars
Fleur De Guerre said:
I think I just saw Lola's "I own 12 of them" in flashing letters of jealousy!

Hehehe, I'm sorry!
I bought a few when I was in New York during the summer, but I also tend to buy mine off e-bay, usually from a shop called babygirlboutique. I was really impressed the last time I bought a dress from them, I ordered it on the Saturday night & it arrived on Wednesday morning, which is pretty good coming all the way to Scotland!
I've also found a UK stockist, their website is http://www.rockersengland.co.uk/
They say their shipping is charged at 10% of the value of what you buy, so if you buy a dress costing £85, the shipping is £8.50.
I've always been so tempted to shop with daddyo's, but after reading what happened to you ladies, I don't think I'll bother!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot