Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What hat are you waiting for today?

Stetson 3X Open Road in dove grey
664a5be3bb5191283ea1361d11de9aea.jpg

d60c11afc6937512a005dd3a7aebcf33.jpg
Beautiful, hard to find color!

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
Just arrived today, a Brodt's...not quite a homburg? The brim felt isn't stiff like a homburg. More of a pencil curl edge perhaps? (Sorry, I'm still new and have a lot to learn regarding styles, features, and terminology.) Snapped a few quick pictures before throwing it in the chest freezer.

IMG_20181228_145714534.jpg IMG_20181228_145735255.jpg IMG_20181228_145838471.jpg

I'm suspecting 60s given the plastic liner tip cover and the liner being glued. Peeked under the sweat and saw part of a union label. Will examine more after decontamination protocol.

Nothing special, but the color is a beautiful brown. Incidentally, this fills a huge hole in my small collection. Brodt's also seems to have an interesting history. I'll be posting some bits I dug up in the vintage hat store thread shortly.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Gotta increase my straw holdings. The cost of shipping to this rock is going to hurt a bit.

The Lucca is from Biltmore's President series of hats. Made in the USA of 100% natural hemp straw it has a 2 1/2" brim and a pinch front crown that is 4 1/2" at the front, rising t 5" on the sides and falling to 4" at the back (measurements are approximate). Features include a matching 1 1/2 grosgrain ribbon band with Biltmore pin and a comfortable DriLux sweatband.

Ships with a Biltmore factory box.

LuccaNat__95846.1521914004.1280.1280.JPG

Just arrived today, a Brodt's...not quite a homburg? The brim felt isn't stiff like a homburg. More of a pencil curl edge perhaps? (Sorry, I'm still new and have a lot to learn regarding styles, features, and terminology.) Snapped a few quick pictures before throwing it in the chest freezer.

I'm suspecting 60s given the plastic liner tip cover and the liner being glued. Peeked under the sweat and saw part of a union label. Will examine more after decontamination protocol.

Nothing special, but the color is a beautiful brown. Incidentally, this fills a huge hole in my small collection. Brodt's also seems to have an interesting history. I'll be posting some bits I dug up in the vintage hat store thread shortly.

Very nice and perhaps a little earlier. This thin binding ribbon variation on the tradition homburg seemed to have a brief moment of popularity between 1955 and 1960. I've owned a couple - also a very nice panama from Brodt's in DC.

Cavanagh:

cavburg1.jpg

Stetson Fifteen with dated sales slip from 1956:

stetsonfifteen1.jpg

fifteen8.jpg

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
Very nice and perhaps a little earlier. This thin binding ribbon variation on the tradition homburg seemed to have a brief moment of popularity between 1955 and 1960. I've owned a couple - also a very nice panama from Brodt's in DC

I definitely remember seeing your panama post when I was searching for background information regarding Brodt's. I've found it rather enjoyable reading and learning about these independent hat shops.

Thanks for posting those other homburgs for reference. That Cavanagh is stunning with that ribbon and binding treatment. I see you just listed it for sale, but alas, too small for me. Someone will be getting a great hat. GLWS!

nvilletele

One of the Regulars
Gotta increase my straw holdings. The cost of shipping to this rock is going to hurt a bit.

The Lucca is from Biltmore's President series of hats. Made in the USA of 100% natural hemp straw it has a 2 1/2" brim and a pinch front crown that is 4 1/2" at the front, rising t 5" on the sides and falling to 4" at the back (measurements are approximate). Features include a matching 1 1/2 grosgrain ribbon band with Biltmore pin and a comfortable DriLux sweatband.

Ships with a Biltmore factory box.

View attachment 151166

Your post inspired me to take another look at the Lucca. I haven't been much into braided straws, but another look at it convinced me to grab one as well. I went for the Cocoa color. From the photo, it looks like you also bought from One2MiniRanch or their ebay store. The prices at their web site appear marginally cheaper than their ebay store. Their price on this one was reasonable, but as you discussed the shipping charge are not inconsequential. In my case, since I bought another hat as well (Biltmore Siena, a not top grade but fine-enough Panama) the shipping totaled
$40.

LuccaCoco1__28392.1521914003.1280.1280.JPG
SienaWal__88735.1521830974.1280.1280.JPG

Hand woven in Ecuador and finished in Texas, USA the Siena is a genuine grade 8 Panama straw fedora. This sporty, lightweight hat has a 3 1/4" flat brim and a 4" (approx.) pinch front crown which rises to 4 1/2" on the sides. Features include 50+ UPF sun protection, matching grosgrain ribbon band with side pin, removable feather and a comfortable DriLux sweatband.
Ships in a Biltmore hatbox.

I'd prefer if it had a leather sweatband, but that can be swapped out I suppose.

Last edited:

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21