Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What hat are you waiting for today?

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
If a bowler and a topper had a baby.............................

20210523_193929.jpg

FedoraRedHat

One of the Regulars
It's been four weeks since I ordered a Classic Fedora 20-21 WPI Montecristi Fino from Brent Black. Hope to be receiving it soon. My original Montecristi Fino has experienced some discoloration from being stiffened one to many times.

classfed-07.jpg

It got me thinking: for all the work Brent has to do to custom block hats by hand, receiving one of his hats provides you with a unique, physical work of art and the bragging rights of owning something special. Unlike the NFTs that have been selling recently for >$100,000, they do not give you a unique, physical work of art. They only give you bragging rights. Even though, the prices of NFTs make the prices Brent is charging seem insignificant. :cool:

WonkyBloke

One of the Regulars
I ordered a half price Christy Foldaway a while ago, but that fell through, as they didn't actually have it in the size I ordered. Since then, I've been having a punt on ebay. I've been sniped multiple times in the past few days, which is quite annoying. I really don't mind if someone else thinks a hat is worth more to them than it is to me, but don't string me along till the last three seconds. That's hours or days wasted, when I could be looking at other things!

Anyway, I had a buy it now hat in my watch list, and was considering making an offer on it. I didn't need to. They made me an offer, and it was exactly the offer I would have made, so I claimed it. My first fur felt. Correction: My second attempt at my first fur felt. There's still time for this to go base upwards. :rolleyes: It doesn't explicitly say fur felt on the sweatband, but it looks it to my untrained eye.

s-l16001.jpg

Condition looks decent enough too. Hopefully it will at least be good enough to decide if I want to pursue this further, or stick with cotton, leather and wool. I paid a little less than I'd expect to for a new wool felt, so if I'm not totally enamoured with it, I'm not too much out of pocket.

I've been sniped multiple times in the past few days, which is quite annoying.
Many online auctions have the 15 min rule & the software to support it. Simply put, if a last second bid comes in at auction end a 15 min overtime period begins to extend the bidding period. Overtime periods of 15 min duration continue as needed to accommodate bids. When the first 15 min period passes without further bidding, only then does the auction close.

eBay feels the sniping adds excitement & gets bidders to overbid in hopes they don't have to go to their max.

WonkyBloke

One of the Regulars
Many online auctions have the 15 min rule & the software to support it. Simply put, if a last second bid comes in at auction end a 15 min overtime period begins to extend the bidding period. Overtime periods of 15 min duration continue as needed to accommodate bids. When the first 15 min period passes without further bidding, only then does the auction close.

eBay feels the sniping adds excitement & gets bidders to overbid in hopes they don't have to go to their max.

That wouldn't tempt any more money out of me :D I bid what I'd be prepared to pay, and that's it. Even if it goes a penny over with a day to spare, if I'm outbid, it's someone else's worry now :p

Likewise, I've (in the past) been sniped at the last minute by a time waster, and then the seller has come back and offered me the goods at my max bid price after the sniper backed out. I always say no. If the bidding was at 60% of my max bid before the time waster arrived (shill account of the seller?), then I might pay that, but not a penny more.

*sigh* Still waiting, still wondering, especially since the "four month wait" expired two days ago. I'm guessing I'll be waiting the full six months, then I'll have to contact EA for a delivery estimate and, if I'm lucky, not get a response to the effect of, "Oh, that hat in that color was discontinued nearly a year ago. Didn't you get the e-mail?" o_O
Yep, still waiting. Five months and four days currently. Just for kicks I sent an e-mail to find out if they had any sort of estimate for when my hat might ship, and I received a response--maybe sometime in June, but more likely the end of July unless something else comes along to interrupt production at Akubra.

Joining the current conversation, I've sniped on evilBay in the past; sometimes I won, sometimes not. And when I've lost, that was it--no more bidding. As Wonky Bloke wrote, it became someone else's worry. :D

Last edited:
I like it very much Brent.
How’s the felt compare to other Nutrias? For instance the vintage Stetson’s if you have any.
B

Thanks, B. I’m just now realizing that I posted this is the wrong thread. :)
The recent Sunrise Nutria felts are a bit all over the place. My first two 220g western felts, of which this almond is one, we’re very stiff like modern westerns. It’s as stiff as Winchester’s western beaver and Winchester’s 50/50 felt. It’s hard! It’s a nice hat and I like it a lot, but it’s nothing like vintage.

The two nutria felts that Gannon made up for me are a completely different story. It wasn’t Gannon’s doing: the raw hat bodies were completely different. These Gannons are soft and dense and just about perfect. They mold like vintage felt and the crowns are easily dry creased. It was a revelation as to what was possible with modern western felt. It’s so much more to my liking than Winchester’s felt. I currently have one more of those felts with Gannon and it should be done soon.

I recently received another 220g western 100% nutria felt. This last hat body is in the color “rain cloud,” and it’s stiff and hard like the first two were. I prefer the softer vintage-like felt, but I also have a place in my collection for firmer felt so I’m keeping the rain cloud (I seriously thought about returning it). The color is too pretty to be returned.

At least you can hope that it arrives at all, Jack!
A hat from Great Britain made its way to Germany,
but then got lost here in Leipzig - it can't be found and is therefore lost.
The best tracking is of no use if the specified place doesn't have it after all...
Thanks Matt. If the tracker is to be trusted tonight it is about 9 hrs away. With any luck it should make the local sort center tomorrow night, then be transferred to my Post Office before Fri morn so it can be out for delivery on Fri. If it misses that transfer it will be Tues before I see it as I am in a rural route with no Saturday service.

Edward Reed

A-List Customer
a vintage Royal Stetson Whippet in almost mint condition. no nips, holes or creases of any kind. may hav been a store display or just NOS forgotten item. Arriving in open crown condition so I will have the fun of getting to shape it to my liking. most likely I'll do a tight front pinch with a teardrop crown and a snap down brim and turned up in back for the usual classic look. Buying a small garment steamer tomorrow at Target to help prep and set the fur felt. tracking shows it arriving Tuesday June 1st!

Thanks Matt. If the tracker is to be trusted tonight it is about 9 hrs away. With any luck it should make the local sort center tomorrow night, then be transferred to my Post Office before Fri morn so it can be out for delivery on Fri. If it misses that transfer it will be Tues before I see it as I am in a rural route with no Saturday service.
Isn't it kinda' pathetic that so many of us who don't work for the USPS seem to understand their tracking system better than they do?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner