Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What hat are you waiting for today?

Well, my Akubra Federation IV came in today. Not quite what I was expecting. I've never had a new felt hat before. It's a lot stiffer than I thought it'd be. Molds like clay though.
I'm gonna play with it a bit tomorrow I think and try to get a good bash going. I tried dry bashing a teardrop but couldn't get it to pop up in the middle. I think steam will help with that.
Any good videos on bashing hats that y'all would recommend?

Still waiting on my Dobbs Homberg. Should be here tomorrow.

It should soften up after some wear and exposure to the elements. Akubras respond well to rain and will get softer over time.

We have several threads on hat creases. This is my favorite.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/monster-bash-videos-show-us-how-you-bash.85436/

Well, my Akubra Federation IV came in today. Not quite what I was expecting. I've never had a new felt hat before. It's a lot stiffer than I thought it'd be. Molds like clay though.
I'm gonna play with it a bit tomorrow I think and try to get a good bash going. I tried dry bashing a teardrop but couldn't get it to pop up in the middle. I think steam will help with that.

In my experience, I’ve found Akubra to be all over the map. Some have been quite soft, and some very stiff; and I am referring to hats of the same model with the same, felt quality designation. I’ve also noticed a considerable difference in the nap of the felt. I’ve had some that have been a smooth “bald” finish, and others, with a quite long hair finish; and again, I’m referring to hats are the same model with the same felt quality designation.

These inconsistencies are not limited to Akubra. When I have ordered custom hats, I have asked the hatter to go through his inventory of hat bodies to find the least stiff. It can be frustrating, but you are not alone.

Cuvier

One of the Regulars
It should soften up after some wear and exposure to the elements. Akubras respond well to rain and will get softer over time.

We have several threads on hat creases. This is my favorite.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/monster-bash-videos-show-us-how-you-bash.85436/
I'd dig around in that thread. Thank you very much!
In my experience, I’ve found Akubra to be all over the map. Some have been quite soft, and some very stiff; and I am referring to hats of the same model with the same, felt quality designation. I’ve also noticed a considerable difference in the nap of the felt. I’ve had some that have been a smooth “bald” finish, and others, with a quite long hair finish; and again, I’m referring to hats are the same model with the same felt quality designation.

These inconsistencies are not limited to Akubra. When I have ordered custom hats, I have asked the hatter to go through his inventory of hat bodies to find the least stiff. It can be frustrating, but you are not alone.
I don't mind a stiff hat if the quality is there. I'm going to be working with it and getting it to fit properly. It's slightly big but I can fix that with some slight padding. It'll shrink some with time.
I love the color but I wouldn't mind a wider ribbon maybe one in a contrasting color. Maybe a pugg?

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up

“Molds like clay”....never heard anyone use those terms about Akubra.
Lucky man you must be.
B

Cuvier

One of the Regulars
“Molds like clay”....never heard anyone use those terms about Akubra.
Lucky man you must be.
B
Compared to my old battered hats this is a lot easier. The others are fairly set in their ways. This one is stubborn but with some steam I think I can get it to take a nice shape. If nothing else I can take it to a local western hat shop and get it shaped there.

Granville

One of the Regulars
Been a while since I picked up a new hat (new being subjective -- my wife says, "what's your obsession with dead guys' hats?"). Toronado by Stetson. Not sure what color it will really be -- Seller's description: Olive Green with a brown band. I'm hoping the green is pretty true to the pic. Sweat looks to be in good shape; no noticeable moth damage; 3x Beaver, which guys on the lounge tell me really means 3% Jerry Mather.
Toro1.jpg
Toro2.jpg
Toro3.jpg
Toro4.jpg

One of my high school buddies used to drive around in a Toronado (his dad's car). Front wheel drive (rare for the time), it had no "transmission hump" running down the center of the car. i.e., flat floor throughout.
Toronado Oldsmobile.jpg

Been a while since I picked up a new hat (new being subjective -- my wife says, "what's your obsession with dead guys' hats?"). Toronado by Stetson. Not sure what color it will really be -- Seller's description: Olive Green with a brown band. I'm hoping the green is pretty true to the pic. Sweat looks to be in good shape; no noticeable moth damage; 3x Beaver, which guys on the lounge tell me really means 3% Jerry Mather.
View attachment 505192 View attachment 505193 View attachment 505194 View attachment 505195
One of my high school buddies used to drive around in a Toronado (his dad's car). Front wheel drive (rare for the time), it had no "transmission hump" running down the center of the car. i.e., flat floor throughout.
View attachment 505196
if those color renditions are somewhat accurate… it is giving me a bit of joker vibes…. Very cool

Nice grab, Bob. Are you going to ask for the Bond box be shipped too? It’s the expense and unknown on shipping that keeps me from bidding more on these auctions. Fortune favors and all that. :)

Thanks Brent. No ... I'm leaving the hat box behind. I asked that they make sure there is no box dimension over 12" if possible, but keep the brim as is -- I can deal with a lowered crown if needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot