Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What hat are you waiting for today?

Here's the reason, Brent. Cool find by the way!

View attachment 538119

I’ve seen this graph before, but I don’t know how accurate it is. It doesn’t reflect my personal experiences. I find roughly 10 hats in 7 ⅛ for every hat I find in 7 ¼. You’re graph also seems to show that I should find hats in 60cm with the same frequency as those in 54cm. That hasn’t been what I’ve seen. Anecdotally, I also see new hats sell out fasted in sizes 7 ⅜ to 7 ½.

I’ve seen this graph before, but I don’t know how accurate it is. It doesn’t reflect my personal experiences. I find roughly 10 hats in 7 ⅛ for every hat I find in 7 ¼. You’re graph also seems to show that I should find hats in 60cm with the same frequency as those in 54cm. That hasn’t been what I’ve seen. Anecdotally, I also see new hats sell out fasted in sizes 7 ⅜ to 7 ½.
From what I've read this is still used for hat manufacturers today. It would make sense that the bigger hats sell out faster because they would make less of them. Also anecdotal, but in my experience with my size I have a more than 50% chance of a hat fitting me if I buy it without knowing the size.

It would make sense that the bigger hats sell out faster because they would make less of them.

If so, wouldn’t they also make less (equally less?) of the small ones like 6 ¾? It the demand was the same for 6 ¾ as it is for 7 ½ then they should have made them is close to the same numbers and the current vintage market in the US just doesn’t seem to reflect this. In our own internal survey where 7 ⅜ was the most common also doesn’t jive. I’m not sure what to think.

Last edited:

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
It wouldn’t they also make less (equally less?) of the small ones like 6 ¾? It the demand was the same for 6 ¾ as it is for 7 ½ then they should have made them is close to the same numbers and the current vintage market in the US just doesn’t seem to reflect this. Our our own internal survey where 7 ⅜ was the most common also doesn’t jive. I’m not sure what to think.
Good point. I can't really say anything about the number of small sized hats compared to the bigger sizes with any confidence (maybe smurfs buy them?) and it does look like bigger sizes are more common on the lounge. Would be interesting to see in what numbers current manufacturers make their hats.

Because it's the perfect size!
hard to argue.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael