Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What hat are you waiting for today?

Bigger Don

Practically Family
The long oval will work for you with plenty of steam on the brim all around the hat and plenty where the brim meets the crown and a hat jack....I have to do that all the time for Daniel, as his hats are all long oval and so are mine! Then prepare to have to use your steam iron on the brim.....to get the "wonky" out of it..
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I think I've seen you're in Michigan. I have a client in Livonia. If I screw this up too badly I may be begging at your door for help. :)

Now for the serious questions, I don't a hat jack and was thinking about what to get since I'm not spending 70 bucks on a custom one just yet.

Many of the jacks I see come in small, medium, and large based on a range of hat sizse. Just going with hat size, that would mean a large for my 7 5/8. However, thinking that a long oval, or in my case an XLO, head is narrower at the front and back than one that is just oval, does it make sense to get a jack that is narrower (shorter around the arcs of the wood ends, as would be the case in a "small" or "medium") but can reach longer (front to back) with the screw? Was thinking a medium would be good for an LO, but maybe go to a small that has a long enough reach with the screw mechanism.

How high should the wood pieces be? I've seen how to smooth out the transition lines from jack, but is taller (3" v 2") always better?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I think I've seen you're in Michigan. I have a client in Livonia. If I screw this up too badly I may be begging at your door for help. :)

Now for the serious questions, I don't a hat jack and was thinking about what to get since I'm not spending 70 bucks on a custom one just yet.

Many of the jacks I see come in small, medium, and large based on a range of hat sizse. Just going with hat size, that would mean a large for my 7 5/8. However, thinking that a long oval, or in my case an XLO, head is narrower at the front and back than one that is just oval, does it make sense to get a jack that is narrower (shorter around the arcs of the wood ends, as would be the case in a "small" or "medium") but can reach longer (front to back) with the screw? Was thinking a medium would be good for an LO, but maybe go to a small that has a long enough reach with the screw mechanism.

How high should the wood pieces be? I've seen how to smooth out the transition lines from jack, but is taller (3" v 2") always better?

Thanks for any thoughts.

If you're a Large (7 1/2- & up) , buy a Medium (one size smaller) . I thought that meant me being 7 3/8 LO a Medium (7 1/8-7 1/2) was what they meant , but if you're in that range go the next range down , especially being LO . Small is what I needed (6 1/2-7 1/8) . http://www.ebay.com/itm/29039689847...49&var=590000742401&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Bigger Don

Practically Family
If you're a Large (7 1/2- & up) , buy a Medium (one size smaller) . I thought that meant me being 7 3/8 LO a Medium (7 1/8-7 1/2) was what they meant , but if you're in that range go the next range down , especially being LO . Small is what I needed (6 1/2-7 1/8) . http://www.ebay.com/itm/290396898472?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&var=590000742401&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Thanks for the advice. At the price, if the medium doesn't work to my satisfaction I can go with a small at that point.

I have an idea for using the two halves of a jack, anyway. Take it apart, fix each half to a peg in the wall, then hang a hat on each half. It would keep me from laying down my good hats...the first two I hope to see this week...from being laid down on the brims and away from the <bleepin'> ungrateful cat putting a hairball in them. :) See any problem with that design/thought?

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the advice. At the price, if the medium doesn't work to my satisfaction I can go with a small at that point.

I have an idea for using the two halves of a jack, anyway. Take it apart, fix each half to a peg in the wall, then hang a hat on each half. It would keep me from laying down my good hats...the first two I hope to see this week...from being laid down on the brims and away from the <bleepin'> ungrateful cat putting a hairball in them. :) See any problem with that design/thought?

That's a Good Idea , plus there's the Door Stops (4) to keep it up and off the Brim , the folding ones are convenient for traveling . Can't beat that price ! Others sell Hat Jacks for up to $30 , plus shipping . CRAZY !

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What are the odds? Mike just sent me an email, too. Will go to Eugene Saturday to pick this up! He sent me this teaser...

i-VrfgZ3X-L.jpg
Nice, nice, nice...that's pretty!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart