Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What hat are you waiting for today?

RE: the moldy oldie, all I can say is you are BRAVE.

I'm hopeful anyway. I don't expect it to be perfect, but at least wearable.

Here is a recent Portis:

1668019800415.png

IMG-6879.JPG

And a Borsalino Thirty:

1668020033905.png

1668020066477.png

IMG-5430.JPG

IMG-5439.JPG

The quest for a nice homburg continues, and after a few mis-steps, I think I've found it . Labeled "Hats in the Belfry," I'm told by the "ask a question" gang that it's probably a Beaver Brand product. View attachment 463454 View attachment 463453 View attachment 463455
A little research tells me 5 X's means 5% beaver. I most recently picked up a nice hat for my long overcoat, but this one will be for Christmas/Weddings/funerals. The state occasions lid.

Wouldn’t it be nice if there was some standardized way to interpret the “X” count. This 5X is almost certainly a 100% rabbit fur felt hat just as their 10X hats are. Their 20X hats tend to be 100% beaver. It’s a crazy world.

The quest for a nice homburg continues, and after a few mis-steps, I think I've found it . Labeled "Hats in the Belfry," I'm told by the "ask a question" gang that it's probably a Beaver Brand product. View attachment 463454 View attachment 463453 View attachment 463455
A little research tells me 5 X's means 5% beaver. I most recently picked up a nice hat for my long overcoat, but this one will be for Christmas/Weddings/funerals. The state occasions lid.
I think that will do nicely. Congratulations

Not sure I've seen a Keith (from Beaver Brands) with the price debossed on the sweat band. At least not one for "Thirty Dollars".

1668053582528.png

1668053613694.png

1668053640093.png

1668053668778.png

1668053704458.png

And, for "Fifteen Dollars" you could have this Finissimo! Not sure if this is a Beaver Brand (the size tag is similar as is the quality of the sweat band logo). The liner implies Italian manufacture -- but also "imported furs" so maybe only the felt is Italian.

1668053731117.png

1668053759845.png

1668053777885.png

1668053804613.png

1668053831207.png

I got them both for a "Twenty Dollar" bid so I'm happy.

Not sure I've seen a Keith (from Beaver Brands) with the price debossed on the sweat band. At least not one for "Thirty Dollars".

View attachment 463596

View attachment 463597

View attachment 463598

View attachment 463599

View attachment 463600

And, for "Fifteen Dollars" you could have this Finissimo! Not sure if this is a Beaver Brand (the size tag is similar as is the quality of the sweat band logo). The liner implies Italian manufacture -- but also "imported furs" so maybe only the felt is Italian.

View attachment 463601

View attachment 463602

View attachment 463603

View attachment 463604

View attachment 463605

I got them both for a "Twenty Dollar" bid so I'm happy.
I have ONE hat that says the "dollars" on the sweat....I posted it sometime back, and don't remember the brand just now. It was a "Twenty Dollars" hat. And now you have two, which means I have now seen three hats so marked with "Dollars" on the sweat. That Keith looks especially nice, but the campaign bow on the other one is always a cool touch!

I have ONE hat that says the "dollars" on the sweat....I posted it sometime back, and don't remember the brand just now. It was a "Twenty Dollars" hat. And now you have two, which means I have now seen three hats so marked with "Dollars" on the sweat. That Keith looks especially nice, but the campaign bow on the other one is always a cool touch!

Thanks Mark! I dug around a bit, but didn't find your post ... yet.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Here's another of my Whippet clone conversions. If I'm not mistaken I believe that this is a Resistol Stagecoach that Bob Hufford sent me a few years ago(?) I remember it was under a size 7 and was pretty beat up and moth bitten. He saved it from a yard sale and gave it to me. Of all the hats I converted this one made the biggest transformation. I turned it into a Longhair Whippet clone and salvaged the ribbon and bow work and the brim binding from a different and used them on this one...

Resistol-Whippet-8-A.jpg

On the head:
Concept-Whippet-2-A.jpg

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Here's another of my Whippet clone conversions. If I'm not mistaken I believe that this is a Resistol Stagecoach that Bob Hufford sent me a few years ago(?) I remember it was under a size 7 and was pretty beat up and moth bitten. He saved it from a yard sale and gave it to me. Of all the hats I converted this one made the biggest transformation. I turned it into a Longhair Whippet clone and salvaged the ribbon and bow work and the brim binding from a different and used them on this one...

Resistol-Whippet-8-A.jpg

On the head:
Concept-Whippet-2-A.jpg
WRONG PAGE! CRAP!!!!

Thanks Mark! I dug around a bit, but didn't find your post ... yet.
Well...thinking about it it MAY have been a "Fifteen Dollars" hat....I cant remember....:rolleyes:
And I also don't remember where I put it......:oops:
I do know it was a later 50's with a Cav edge.

It was a Beaver Brook.....found the link...and WAS a $15 dollar hat.

biffnix

New in Town
I just ordered the Borsalino Bellagio in charcoal grey, as a complement to my tobacco Stratoliner to round out the colors I can wear them with. It's my first Borsalino, and I see it doesn't have a bound brim. I'm curious - do unbound brims require special care or more delicate storage? Or is the bound trim purely decorative?

It took about six days to arrive last time I ordered from Delmonico Hatters, so I imagine it'll take about the same time. Although tomorrow is the start to a holiday weekend, so we'll see if that delays things a bit...

Cheers, all.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points