Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What hat are you waiting for today?

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1450995636...can0sdqtpg&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Waiting for this $133 (including crap) Portis and box no one but me bid on today.
Love when that happens!
Just doesn’t happen often enough. :)
63552069-24E1-4EAB-99C1-E4706B35ECF3.png

Granville

One of the Regulars
I always wonder if I'm better at search terms and thus "finding" hidden gems that have been badly or mis- labeled by the seller, or if I'm an idiot buying pieces of crap that no one else wants. Either way, this straw by Rodeo star Larry Mahan's brand was sitting at the dock of the bay for quite a few weeks, maybe months. I queried about the color (is it white, off-white like the pics or yellow as per the description) and was told the pics were accurate (off-white with yellow tinge). What really caught my attention is the leather sweat. Exhaustive research has found many contradictions re: Shantung, variously described as a Philippine straw, a type of paper straw, of either Japanese or Chinese construction, and machine-crafted or handmade. Labels on this hat claim "Regal (ooh!) Handmade Shantung" so I'm guessing only weavers of royal blood handled this baby! Presumably it was put together at Milano Hat Co's Garland, Texas factory, so I'm not sure where the royal lineage comes from, maybe Sam Austin's progeny? Looks a bit shiny in the pics, so it's probably treated/coated with something, and hopefully will survive if I get caught in the rain.
s-l1600.jpg

I like the shape, very close to one of the classic Panama styles I see in old movies, with the turned down brim.
larry profile.jpg
Larry sweat logo.jpg

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
I always wonder if I'm better at search terms and thus "finding" hidden gems that have been badly or mis- labeled by the seller, or if I'm an idiot buying pieces of crap that no one else wants. Either way, this straw by Rodeo star Larry Mahan's brand was sitting at the dock of the bay for quite a few weeks, maybe months. I queried about the color (is it white, off-white like the pics or yellow as per the description) and was told the pics were accurate (off-white with yellow tinge). What really caught my attention is the leather sweat. Exhaustive research has found many contradictions re: Shantung, variously described as a Philippine straw, a type of paper straw, of either Japanese or Chinese construction, and machine-crafted or handmade. Labels on this hat claim "Regal (ooh!) Handmade Shantung" so I'm guessing only weavers of royal blood handled this baby! Presumably it was put together at Milano Hat Co's Garland, Texas factory, so I'm not sure where the royal lineage comes from, maybe Sam Austin's progeny? Looks a bit shiny in the pics, so it's probably treated/coated with something, and hopefully will survive if I get caught in the rain.
View attachment 522519
I like the shape, very close to one of the classic Panama styles I see in old movies, with the turned down brim.
View attachment 522520 View attachment 522521
That's a nice catch for the summer, Granville. Very simple, but stylish. Bonus with the leather sweat. In itself, a sign of quality. I like the ribbon very much, too.

The Shoe

One Too Many
Yes, it was like a day long Christmas morning as all his listings for that day were in my size. I had a difficult time deciding and then the homburg came along and sealed it. I was considering the Borsa Milan but hesitated at the narrow brim.
I was close to going for that one, too, but decided I could only take one. I got the Borsalino Debrosan.

Mighty44

One Too Many

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ