Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinaski

One Too Many
The Black Jack Strat....
BJStrat2.jpg

Deputy, that's a nice hat - is it a dimensional brim? It looks like it might be so I was just curious.

Real pretty Whippet clone, Mr. P.

Alan, those westerns look at home on your head, and with your clothing combinations.

Jaunty, you wear stingys well.

Great lookin' Knox, Rodkins.

pw005-3.jpg

I have a Knox today, velour finish in deep chocolate brown. Warm for this frigid weather.

T Rick

Practically Family
Believe it's from the late 40's, Stetson Standard Quality, recent snag while fishing in the 'Bay. It is linerless, which is quite comfortable. More thoughts on it coming to another thread.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Is that the blue one from the end of the year? Looks great!

I think you did very well there - and I also would think it might be a 1930s hat.

cheers,
Alan

T Rick

Practically Family
Is that the blue one from the end of the year? Looks great!

I think you did very well there - and I also would think it might be a 1930s hat.

cheers,
Alan
Thanks. Yes, it is the one where I won the auction in the last second by one penny :D. It was not as clean as I'd hoped, but after a good brushing I can live with it (mostly the ribbon is a bit more dirty and/or worn than I'd hoped, the felt is quite nice). The sweatband is a bit more than "basically a good broken in feel", it has been quite well broken in plus, and has some sweat staining in front. No matter, it is on the inside, still looks quite presentable outside. The size tag has turned a bit green, but is intact and I was basing my initial guess on a foggy memory of another thread I'd read. I need to spend some time researching to get it nailed closer on the date, but it may well be 30s (which would be even cooler!).

Looks great!
If it is a Standard quality, more likely older than 40's!

Edit: This thread might help date it Pre- 1940s Stetson dress hats.

Thanks! That thread did put some thoughts in my head (and I'm only halfway through it). First up, Dinerman had a picture posted in there with a linerless Standard Quality that had an applied brand sticker of gold foil (or so it looked) as opposed to the printed (I think) logo I've seen on others. If that is the case this may have indeed never had a liner as the Seller said. I can almost/sort of see an area where such an applied logo may once have been.

There is a sweatband in that thread with an identical stamping to this one. I recall there being a (dating) significance to the little stars in the upper left field of the logo, but don't recall what it was. I think it came from Dinerman in the thread about dating by liner, but might have been in one on sweatbands or other... there are several threads and many have some information crossover. As I read (and learn) more, I'll assemble my own cache of reference thread links, so that I can refer other noob's to them as many here have done for me (giving back to the Community I call it ;)). Off to do a bit of research on this one.

Last edited:

T Rick

Practically Family
That is a sweet lid!
Thanks, pretty pleased with this one too!

I agree, T Rick, that is nice, and I like your bash with the high crown pinch. Very cool.
Thanks. Can't take credit for the bash though, this is how it came to me. Seems to have been like this for quite some time, and I think would take some steam if I had a mind to change it. But TBH, I have no desire to do so, I really like it just as it is.

Very nice look Rick.

Jeff
Thank you Sir!

Borsaleeno.

me_and_flw.jpg

In this picture:
FLW, circa 1907
Me, circa mid 1950s
Borso, who the hell knows... Chateau Maurice L. Rothschild for Young-Quinlan... he seems to have imported a lot of Borsalino into the US during the first half of the 20th C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen