Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
David, great stunning Whippet today. See I a smile on your face?

Thanks Manfred. I'd like to say I was smiling due to the happiness of wearing a great hat. I reality, I was considering how odd I must look, standing in the middle of a business park parking lot, taking photos of myself. Honestly, I was quite a normal person, until I started hanging out here.

Bluegrass whippet is just a joy to see. The color and style is just what a hat should be. I have a 40's Sat.Evening Post advertisement with the green whippet in my dressing room and admire it each day.

Cheers, Eric. I have a couple of Whippet ads myself, including this one for the Bluegrass Whippet:

Screen-Shot-2012-01-29-at-L.png

I really like the hat in the background, The Weston. This seems to be the same hat with a mode edge. I've never seen one and my eBay Stetson Weston search is always empty.

David, unbelievable you have a beautiful Stetson for every day of the week! Love that whippet! With so many great hats I am sure that "puppy" needs adopted ;)

Thanks Dirk, I've been lucky with Stetsons of late. I have one of the hats from this week in the Classifieds, not a Whippet though =)

Last edited:

RBH

Bartender
I love the pin, Rusty: nice and subtle!

Thank you Ale. I think the pin adds a bit to this hat.

Rusty, I do not know you other than from the FF, but the thin ribbon hat is exactly what you should wear. :eusa_clap The Campdraft, a great example of a thin ribbon, is perfect for you. I picture you in that style hat. I do like the color today. Nice to have options!

Enjoying a thin ribbon this morning, Eric -

Thank you my kind Sir!!! You wear the thin ribbon well yourself.

Great looking proportions. How much did you take of the brim?

Thank you Sir!
Not as much as you would think. Around 3\8s. It is now 2 5\8s wide.
It is surprising how little a trim will make a brim look.
I just did not like the look of the width on this one.
And I really like the raw edge with the thin ribbon.
Mike did a great job on this one!

here is the shot from this morning [on the right] and one from last November [on the left] I believe the difference is great in the way the hat looks.

cdtrim.jpg

Very nice lid Rusty. I love the colour and as Ale pointed out the pin, nice and subtle, and the wind trolley on it too.

Thanks Dirk, you are looking sporty today also!

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
here is the shot from this morning [on the right] and one from last November [on the left] I believe the difference is great in the way the hat looks.

cdtrim.jpg

Hmm, my first thought was that trimming the brim on a CD would be a bad idea.

Seeing the two versions side by side, the "stingy" CD looks really good. Amazing how a small change in that brim dimension creates a totally different look.

Just looked, oooh damn my fat head! 23" :(

The size difference thing can be a bit of a problem I suppose =)

RBH

Bartender
Hmm, my first thought was that trimming the brim on a CD would be a bad idea.

Seeing the two versions side by side, the "stingy" CD looks really good. Amazing how a small change in that brim dimension creates a totally different look.

Thanks David... the Campdraft just went from a hat that I did not wear very often to a hat that I love the looks of.
I had a old wore out CD [do Campdrafts ever really wear out???] that Mike worked on first so we could get a feel of the look.
We did that one before he would cut down this new one.

I really think a 2 5\8s to a 2 1\2 brim Campdraft would be a hot hat to have [with the bound brim]

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I really think a 2 5\8s to a 2 1\2 brim Campdraft would be a hot hat to have [with the bound brim]

Talking about modifying Akubras, one of my favorite hats on the lounge is that Akubra Fed where GT Tom had the brim trimmed and bound. It would be worth buying one just to mod like that.

Might be a good sideline for Maj. Mike - custom mods for Akubras when he gets his program going.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
You and your new hat make a handsome looking pair. Sharp. Alan, you and your hatting skills/equipment really can make some hats come back alive. Cheers to you.

We should all rescue those "needy hats." Adopt them if you will. What equipment would you advise other hat folks to look for, when entering starting to do rescue work? Eric -

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Dirk: A breathtaking backdrop for your beautiful Grand Beaver.

Brando: Looks and sounds good enough to eat. :hungry: Congratulations!

Alan: Transcendent.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Cheers, Eric. I have a couple of Whippet ads myself, including this one for the Bluegrass Whippet:

Screen-Shot-2012-01-29-at-L.png

I really like the hat in the background, The Weston. This seems to be the same hat with a mode edge. I've never seen one and my eBay Stetson Weston search is always empty.

David; I too have looked for a Weston. It is hard to be patient in the search. I like that hat very much. Perhaps that hats characteristics are ripe for looking for in a custom hat project? I may have to consider that option. Eric -

You and your new hat make a handsome looking pair. Sharp. Alan, you and your hatting skills/equipment really can make some hats come back alive. Cheers to you.

We should all rescue those "needy hats." Adopt them if you will. What equipment would you advise other hat folks to look for, when entering starting to do rescue work? Eric -

Thanks Eric and Al.

I have a Jiffy hat steamer and an old Garvé stretcher, which can be used for simple reblocking. I use both of these all the time. A flanging form is helpful too.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Here's my grand daughter wearing my Leon Drexler Dusseldorfer. She pulls it off better than me.

Insolent Puppy, do you have (or have you already posted) closeups of that Leon Drexler? I just went to peruse his website, and though his prices are a little steep, I'b be really interested in seeing "real" shots of his work. Looks very, very nice!

DJH

I'll Lock Up
David; I too have looked for a Weston. It is hard to be patient in the search. I like that hat very much. Perhaps that hats characteristics are ripe for looking for in a custom hat project? I may have to consider that option. Eric -

Hmm, you have me thinking now, Eric. Art's welted brim edges are pretty close to Stetson's Mode Edge.

The VS Black Cherry, I'm wearing this morning has one.

smugshot2108245-L.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart