Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yikes, Z. :eeek:

This is more my style, captured by a buddy at Beaver Meadow Observatory last weekend. I was using our club's 14" telescope to image Venus in the daylight. Don't tell anyone, but a used an age filter to adjust some artifacts in the chin area caused by the unfavorable camera angle. :D Wearing my depression era Art-Style cap.

imagingvenus.jpg

I was shooting Venus using a narrowband ultraviolet filter. It's a pain to use... most of the available UV light is absorbed by the optics of the telescope and the camera isn't too sensitive at these wavelengths. But this is the only way to see the delicate cloud structures in the atmosphere of Venus. The picture came out OK. But after years of using this 8nm bandpass filter more suited for solar imaging, I thought it might be helpful to buy a new one with a wider spectral pass. It came on Thursday - yet another in our string of fantastic warm, clear, summery spring days. I came home early and found Venus in the eyepiece of my scope about two hours before sunset. Here is the final image, captured with a 11500mm telephoto lens (aka my 10" telescope).

venus032212.jpg

Have you been enjoying the close conjunction of Venus and Jupiter these last several weeks? It will get especially beautiful over the next few days as the thin crescent moon joins in the party. If it's clear in the early evening, be sure to enjoy the view!

Last edited:
Indeed. You rock the skies, Alan.

Thanks very much, guys. Venus is a tough nut to crack - I was very happy to find the skies stable and the seeing good. The key was to work before the sun set. Venus is in the middle of a fantastic apparition this year that ends with its transit across the sun's disk on June 5th. I hope you can find a place to see this... a very dramatic sight and the last until 2117.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I just back inside from enjoying time on the deck drinking coffee with my dogs. Sweet to have a few hours of deck time in the 60'F weather.

IMG0918-M.jpg

Casual in my VS dark moss fedora and cotton sweater.

Best, Eric -

Chief000731

Practically Family
Carl, I like your posts and your photos portray an interesting and colorful guy. If I were to suggest losing something, it would be the cigarettes. We'd like to have you around for a while.

:)
I agree I HATE SMOKING I really want to quit this is the year for it I am going to quit... GREAT LOOKING HATS EVERYBODY. Some very nice lids here this last week. Love the Optimo Dillinger Oxblood, Hell I like them all... Carl

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner