Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

g.durand

One Too Many
So many impressive hats and settings today that I don't know where to begin. Alan, nice finds, the Borsalino is a beauty, wish I could find one in my size for a twenty.

Seeing Joao's photos of the Portuguese coast and its similarity to the Northern California coast inspired my wife and I to take a trip up to the remote coastal village of Mendocino today. We lived there for a short time almost thirty years ago and had not been to that part of California for at least seventeen or eighteen years. I remembered when we lived there my parents came to visit, and now I am older than my father was then. It's a sobering thought.

I brought along the well-worn Stetson Playboy.
IMG_3061_zps211a4298.jpg

IMG_3065_zps12305245.jpg

IMG_30711_zps1392b7da.jpg

IMG_3074_zpscbf4da80.jpg

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Very nice haul Alan, sounds like a fun day. Looks like basting stitches still in the ribbon of the borsy. Real tasty shirt too. What's a slide rule for? ;) Oh, that necklace is tops too, I still have some celluloid fountain pens from previous a OCD.

g., stood in the very same place last summer and enjoyed the town in a quick walk. Overnighted up the road in Ft Bragg.

g.durand

One Too Many
mike--we went up to Ft. Bragg, too, and had a look around. That's where the majority of the affordable lodging is, and it's where we stay, too. We had an apartment there in the mid-'80s. I had a hat then (a couple of years before my first fedora), and it looked like this:
irishtweed_zpsd8c21a45.jpg

Alan- what a haul!!! Sounds like you made out like a bandit. Congrats on an all around fun day

G. - great pics, looks like a good day. In that Stetson and trucker jacket you look the part for a road trip

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Orangegrad

Practically Family
Nice Borso, Alan!

A fedora I don't wear often - a '50s Penney's Marathon Whippet clone.

View attachment 3946

With denim lapis ring and lapis, turqoise and heishi beads necklace
View attachment 3947

Film Noir
View attachment 3948

Today's breakfast
Eggs: poached
Bread: fresh-baked Italian
Tea: Chinese green
Cheese: Stilton blue

Stilton: Wow! If you like a mild cheese, this one is definitely NOT for you. If you want a cheese that let's you know it's there from a distance of three meters, this is your cheese. I thought that Shropshire blue has character. Shropshire blue is a sissy compared with Stilton. Stilton is for men who know they are men. As for the women who like Stilton, I'll let them speak for themselves. It's been a half hour since it passed my taste buds, and the Stilton is still there on the back of my tongue. Amazing stuff.
View attachment 3949

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Andy, I think that looks really sharp! I know it's not an Akubra, but you should wear it more often. ;) I really love this Native jewelry. Know anyone who makes full rounded beaded hat bands? I saw one once that looked exactly like a coral snake, and was enchanted by it. Never seen one since-- should've bought it at the time.

Alan, there's something really special about that new Borsalino. At first glance it may be the color(s) it reflects.

Randall, your Borso is very fine too, and looks great on marble heads as well as your own!

Richard, you and a boater hat form a good marriage of head and lid! Looks totally natural on you.

An'A the Beaver Brand conversion is just stunning, and I agree about the interesting subtlety in the mark left by the former stitching.

David, a terrific trio yesterday! Nice to see those wide brims out and about, and Pearl seems to have taken up an interest as well! The Optimo was surely a perfect complement to the liquid black and gold.

Eric, love the dragonfly! Maybe you can get that little fella to stick with you each time you wear that hat! The contrasting Strat clone is really sharp, too.

Hamilcar, very classy in the Peerless, sir!

G. Durand, of course that is a sweet lid, but your photos are beautiful. Thanks for the pictorial!

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
As the weather cooled and dried out just a tad yesterday (thankfully), I found an opportunity to wear my new yummy Tummy, but not before I gave it its second iteration.

I'm giving a diamond a spin. The perks of this shape are not having to be so gentle when I grab it and go, and being able to rest it on its crown a bit without the risk of flattening the arch, when space is limited.

For reference here's the first crease I gave it:
ts16.jpg

And now it is resting in this formation:

zct3.jpg

cl83.jpg

z80i.jpg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Good morning. Splendid hats pics fellows.

Home after an hour walk around the lake with the dogs. Wearing a wool shirt and a VS Stratoliner (dove) hat in comfort. The 58'F weather is refreshing and welcome at my house.:eek:

IMG_5982-M.jpg

Best, Eric -

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Jeff; It really is yummy. I do like that lighter colored fetlt and ribbon. The diamond, along with the benefits you mentioned, also gives the side dimensions some "climb." My eyes have to climb up the heights of the crown. I like that look. Any crease you choose the hat is splendid.

Tipping my brim in your direction this morning, Eric-

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Eric, these are fabulous! Thanks for sharing.

My family took an excursion to "wherever" over the weekend. Our first stop was LeMars, IA, a very small town where several years ago there was a quaint little museum dedicated to the Blue Bunny Ice Cream factory. Unfortunately we arrived only to see that it had been gone for quite awhile, but the old timey Blue Bunny ice cream parlor was still in full swing, so we had to get a cone. They still call it "The ice cream capital of the world." Ha!

We managed to get a quick shot of me and my little girl.

mts8.jpg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Jeff; Your DD and Dad photo is precious. I think wherever excursions can offer a delightfull adventure. Enviable to share the moments with family. Wish your daughter best for the start of the new school year.

Eric -

Orangegrad

Practically Family
Andy, I think that looks really sharp! I know it's not an Akubra, but you should wear it more often. ;) I really love this Native jewelry. Know anyone who makes full rounded beaded hat bands? I saw one once that looked exactly like a coral snake, and was enchanted by it. Never seen one since-- should've bought it at the time.

This Marathon is a nice fedora. The only thing I don't like about it is that in certain light it tends towards purple. Not purple purple, but a hint of it. You can see this very fedora in my avatar - and the hint of purple. So it doesn't get much use. In terms of quality, even this mid-level felt of 65 years ago is better than anything Akubra has to offer. Stitching is flawless, too. Just wish modern fedoras could have the same level of quality as vintage - without paying $1000 for it.

As for hat bands, I know woman who makes jewelry (my wife). I could ask her about making a hat band. Was the band leather with beads on it? Or beads strung on a wire? My wife can make pretty much anything, so if you can give me an idea of what you're looking for, I'll see if she can do it.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Alan - the Borsalino is a great find (to say the least!)

GD - very nice Playboy. I really like the Playboy (and similar hats) style and ribbon width.

Andy - nice hat and great looking breakfast. I had a bacon sandwich craving myself.

Jeff - thanks, the hat and the black/gold worked together perfectly :) Loving the Tummy!

Eric - the VS Strat looks to be just the jobbie for the cooler morning.

Been hot and (very) humid here the last few days. Wearing the VS/Optimo Dualist going out in search of the bacon

smugshot_1541482-L.jpg

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Hamilcar, Mike, Richard, AnA, thanks so much for the nice comments, I appreciate your comments!

Awesome hats, Eric! Like the contrast ribbon on your Strat!

Hamilcar, you look great for church!

David, sharp hats for the weekend and for today my lovely dualist!

AnA, looks fantastic, a hammer hat!

Jeff, wow, wonderful. Love that hat, super ribbon work!

Randall, great pics and a fantastic Travel report!

Richard, nice photos. The Bowler looks great on you and is really a eye catcher!
PS. Deeply Thanks for the good wishes my friend!

Andy, yummy yummy you make me hungry, that sound good for me. Nice food photo.
And the best, the Penney looks fantastic on you, give him more head time!

g-durand, very nice place, g. I understand why you visit it. The hat is on the right head and place!

Alan, you bandit you, that is a great haul what you bought. Fantastic that new Borsalino also the Boater!

Thanks very much for the notes and thumbs up on the Borsalino. Mike, the stitches you see in the ribbon are noticeable tacking stitches. This is likely a replacement to the original ribbon which would have been black, I think. More photos to follow. I also collected old pens at one time. Now I prefer pencils.

G.D... love your photos from the coast. I totally understand the reflection on parents and age. The Playboy is a great looking hat for you.

happy Labor Day to all,
Alan

Sweet photo, Jeff... nothing beats an ice cream with the kids, except perhaps a coke and pizza (old poem from my elementary school days in NYC).

I'd missed the hike photos, Eric... glad I was able to catch up and see these. Is that a beaver chew underneath your hat or a woodsman's work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24