Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From winter to summer, so the Milan Strat it is...

Hey Dave, can you give me some advice on reshaping the brim on that hat? I received one from Del Monico a couple of weeks ago and would like to tame the swoop a bit. Yours looks about right, but I've never worked with this type of "Milan" before (or any type, really). Do I just wet it and reshape it until it dries? Any advice would be appreciated.

Oh, and Dandy, that Strat looks cool.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Terrific day of hats from all!

I kept wearing my newfound surprise; a Levine Special, private label Cavanagh that I had no idea was my size (or that it was a Cav.) Purchased from an online auction as a gift for a (now disappointed) friend; the measurement by the seller was waaaaay off. :laugh:

View attachment 29274
I really shouldn't look this sad. This was a huge surprise!!

Guilt...?

javadave61

Practically Family
Hey Dave, can you give me some advice on reshaping the brim on that hat? I received one from Del Monico a couple of weeks ago and would like to tame the swoop a bit....

The challenge of this hat is that it's truly difficult to reshape into something other than the stock bash and brim without taking it to a professional hatter to get it reblocked and reflanged (see Milan Strat thread for some examples). I've only used steam and lots of it. I've successfully expanded the side dents a few times, but within a week, it's back to its original shape. I've given up on that.

The brim is more workable than the crown. Regarding the brim (those purists with real hat shaping tools may want to turn their eyes at this point), dust off those old Encyclopedia Britannicas. Four to be exact. I steamed the heck out of the brim and flattened it all the way around by laying the heavy books on each side overnight. That was actually pretty successful. But again, over time, it reverts back to its original shape. Every time I do it though, it lasts longer.

Another thing that works is to stretch the brim. The Milan gives. Steaming and gently stretching helps the brim to do what you want it to do. Besides, the brim was quite short on mine. Stretching got it to the 2 1/2" it's supposed to be.

I finally decided I like this hat best with a slight "brim up" look with the front close to flat. That's pretty easy to achieve.

To others considering the Milan Strat, buy it only if you like the stock look or are willing to get it professionally reworked.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I started with my 7XCB
20150512.jpg

And later switched to this Stetson 4XB Tom Mix
20150512b.jpg

tommyK

One Too Many
Ahh, the Moonstone Campdraft, don't see many of those. Looks great, G! It seems people have them but just don't show them. Glad you did

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Joao Encarnado that Stetson looks great, Is it hot in the summer?
Are you asking if the summer in Portugal is hot or if the heat turns a felt hat unwearable?
Summers here usually break the 40ºC barrier. Even with that weather I wear felt hats. If my head becomes too hot, I just remove it, swipe the sweatband to remove sweat and vent it a bit.

On the way to dinner in Sundance Square Plaza - loving the BSHW western
Perfect choice! You wear it well! I'm going to ask if FEPSA makes felts in that color ;)

Joao, another beauty.
It does looks nice ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points