Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommyK

One Too Many
It has the leaf, so post '53?

I'll post a complete set in Stetson Surplus.

I think one of those crest or logo threads posited that the switch from stars to leaf was around '52 or so, but there are numerous exceptions.
For example;
_DSC1043_zpsf9d0fb35.jpg
_DSC1030_zps26f5aa0f.jpg _DSC1025_zps976fc54a.jpg

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Everybody's looking good as usual but Alan's baku is today's winner in my book, NICE! Joining Daniele today representing the stingy faction, Champ "Cool & COMFORTABLE" milan

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I think one of those crest or logo threads posited that the switch from stars to leaf was around '52 or so, but there are numerous exceptions.
For example;
View attachment 31070
View attachment 31071 View attachment 31072

I've noticed this a lot as well
we know when they changed the crest but that doesn't mean the hat makers didn't have a surplus of bands with the old crest for years

another example of this... i also collect vintage Gretsch drums and the badge of the drum is what everyone dates the drum by for the most part .... Gretsch used a round badge from 1930 to 1970 .... those are highly sought after drums .
but into the 70s when they started using what is called the "stop sign" badge #1 you would sometimes find a round badge on those drums into the early 70s because the manufacturer had round badges left over .
so someone less educated could think they have one of the early 60s gems when they really have a 1973 kit

I have Stetsons from the mid 50s that have the star crest ... this is really pretty common and I am learning that there is really no definitive way to pinpoint dating a hat .... you can ballpark it but that is pretty much it for the most part by the stickers under the sweat... the thickness and quality of the sweat material , size tags, liner logos, reorder numbers, verdigris etc etc .... but there is a ton of gray area in the 40s and 50s I am finding

but I am absolutely loving every second of it

Last edited:

javadave61

Practically Family
Well, lookie what Little Davie got from his mommy during his visit to Hatco Outlet in Garland today. Royal Deluxe Stetson with no name on the sweat and no tag inside the hat, though the paper tag attached to the hat said "Sovereign Special." Whippet-like, but with a smaller 1 1/8th inch ribbon. The brim is 2 5/8" with a crown at almost 6" when open. The customer service lady pulled it out of the back when I asked if they had any Whippet styled hats.

Also picked up a Panama Open Road at a nice discount. I'll post photos in the new hats thread.

Had to pass up a few gems, like the Stetson Roadster. Have you seen this lovely hat? An oh so soft felt. And left a tawny Stratoliner on the shelf [sniff sniff]. Maybe next time!

10447112_10207091537788439_2947673827916048883_n.jpg

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Well, lookie what Little Davie got from his mommy during his visit to Hatco Outlet in Garland today. Royal Deluxe Stetson with no name on the sweat and no tag inside the hat, though the paper tag attached to the hat said "Sovereign Special." Whippet-like, but with a smaller 1 1/8th inch ribbon. The brim is 2 5/8" with a crown at almost 6" when open. The customer service lady pulled it out of the back when I asked if they had any Whippet styled hats.

Also picked up a Panama Open Road at a nice discount. I'll post photos in the new hats thread.

Had to pass up a few gems, like the Stetson Roadster. Have you seen this lovely hat? An oh so soft felt. And left a tawny Stratoliner on the shelf [sniff sniff]. Maybe next time!

gotta love mom

sweet slice Dave ... looks great on you

leaving that strat tugged your heart strings I'm sure.... next time

GregNYC

One Too Many
From what I've heard, it's a line of inexpensive but quality repros by a French maker. Sold on French eBay. I got this one from Johnny, who did some detailing, added a leather sweat, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Mike for the support of the stingy faction.
Today another stingy in this morning of uncertain sun
3yf80.jpg

Borsalino Savona grey. Light felt perfect for the day.
crbrn.jpg

The garden is in its almost summer full bloom.... even mosquitoes particularly angry
2d77m6v.jpg

Very beautiful hats yesterday and today. Bravi!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy