Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
We're right on the edge of straw season up here...
Right you are, Joao!! A few days away, and the show continues to bring forward fantastic and fine felts and now STRAW. Another few days here, and the straws are coming!!
If that's not a prompt to get the straw hats out, I don't know what is.
One of the more unusual places to find accurate vintage wear are theatrical suppliers. Old costumes are often sold off, you can pick up hats, suits, shoes and almost anything else, although they will, rather shrewdly, send the most popular items to auction. What seems like ages ago, I bought from one such theatrical supplier, on a whim, a tatty straw tricorn hat. Now my lady has found some potential shirt material with a pirate theme. All I need now is the nerve to wear the hat with the shirt, when it's made. (Take your time dear.)
tricorn.jpg
No straw today, but weather permitting I'll probably don one tomorrow. Not the tricorn though, still psyching myself up to wear that.
No floral shirt today, now there's a surprise.
aqua 003.JPG

- not to mention the fixed-button trolley. Mouthwatering!

I'm more a fan of functional ones, even though I rarely use them. The engineer in me, I guess. But even that is better than no wind trolley at all!

Yesterday was Palm Sunday (I am Eastern Orthodox). This is what I wore.

Notes:
  1. I know the hat band is messed up. I will have to buy a new one for the hat.
  2. The bowtie was tied by hand. I had not worn a bowtie in 24 years, and back then, all I wore was pre-tied. I may have to use a collar bar next time to stabilize the positioning of the tie.

A little steam from a teakettle may smooth that ribbon right out. No need for replacement!

If that's not a prompt to get the straw hats out, I don't know what is.
One of the more unusual places to find accurate vintage wear are theatrical suppliers. Old costumes are often sold off, you can pick up hats, suits, shoes and almost anything else, although they will, rather shrewdly, send the most popular items to auction. What seems like ages ago, I bought from one such theatrical supplier, on a whim, a tatty straw tricorn hat. Now my lady has found some potential shirt material with a pirate theme. All I need now is the nerve to wear the hat with the shirt, when it's made. (Take your time dear.)

No straw today, but weather permitting I'll probably don one tomorrow. Not the tricorn though, still psyching myself up to wear that.
No floral shirt today, now there's a surprise.

Arrr! You can always bust it out on September 9th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Borsalino Ludorla

The one in my photos from today would more accurately be called that, as well. I need to "internalize" that name!

4F435E1C-1107-48D6-9728-EB03CC66A0B0_zpsdbtqafwv.jpg

Those old paper thin Borso's are so sweet!

Mine's so light and fluffy tan, it's the finest in the land!
(apologies to FZ)

GHT

I'll Lock Up
a57fa7b4888c58aef7d7e00f33b36aa7.jpg

Perfectly executed "over the goggles" MM and what hat! Vented Bantam, WOW!
Exactly, if you could bottle that look, business training schools would use it to show students how to express assertion. It's the kind of look that you give to an employee who has just told you some fanciful tale as to why he went sick yesterday.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I'm more a fan of functional ones, even though I rarely use them. The engineer in me, I guess. But even that is better than no wind trolley at all!
Then you're definitely a great fan of this one. It is indeed functional. The string has a loop in the end, that fits over the button, when not in use. Others (many Borsalinos) have only a loop - no button - but they work just as well ;)

Then you're definitely a great fan of this one. It is indeed functional. The string has a loop in the end, that fits over the button, when not in use. Others (many Borsalinos) have only a loop - no button - but they work just as well ;)

So the loop goes over a button on my lapel, rather than the button going through a buttonhole? I think I have a Dalton like that. I'll have to check it out.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I don't own any "new" hats..... this one ^ makes me realize what I am missing. I may have to get in the Gannon line.

I think you will absolutely enjoy a Gannon

I know what type of hats you like ... the very same vintage type I love ... and Michaels style sits right in our wheelhouse

he pays homage to the vintage style and adds a modern ruggedness that makes you feel like you could wear his hats to a wedding, then the next day wear it working on the hot rod ... then after your shower for a stroll on the beach or in the woods

I would put his beaver hats ... i say beaver because all the Gannons I own are beaver and I cannot speak for the bunny ... but I would put his beaver hats against any Akubra any day of the week ... plus softer and thinner

I believe I have even read in one of Erics posts that his Gannons have now taken the place of his Akubra hats for yard work and chores

I believe that for his price you cannot beat his quality ... I know some others who feel the same

and this concludes this M.C. Gannon commercial ... now back to your regularly scheduled program

I am not associated in any way with the M.C. Gannon company ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy