Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBH

Bartender
deanglen said:
Stetson Playboy. I own two fedoras at present so the choice is limited.

ned2.jpg

dean
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

carter

I'll Lock Up
You gents just keep rolling out great hats. I have to single out Gene's T&J and Deanglen's Playboy. Super lids.

Here's a natural straw with a pugaree that I won on ebay last year but wore for the 1st time today. The only information inside the hats is, "Freddie Ayesh's Osborn Hats Hand Made" and "Styled by Elis".
3404888651_eb22e5221c.jpg

Jabos

A-List Customer
chanteuseCarey said:
Sorry for not replying sooner, I waylaid the post and just refound it.

I'm happy to hear I'm being an inspiration to your wife, though I've only gotten into real vintage about 2-1/2 months ago. I've worn basically vintage-inspired clothing for a long time. And I love hats!

I hope you continue to encourage her to join in on the vintage fun, and it IS fun! I've always been a love-to-get-dressed-up kind of gal, and vintage is a wonderful new avenue for that!

I need to see Rear Window (been watching old movies since at least 7th grade, but have never seen RW) and look for Grace's hat. Tell your wife I say hi (waving my vintage hankie at her via the computer)! Here's an old movie recommendation for her (and the entire family) that has GREAT ladies' clothes and hats- "You Were Never Lovelier" starring Fred Astaire and Rita Hayworth. Fred dresses pretty sharp too.

BTW, I love your avatar pic with your son! What is your uniform, jacket and hat please, AND your son's? Where did you find HIS military hat? Our son would love a military hat of his own (my DH has an authentic WWII Army Air Corp Captain's summer uniform and officer's hat), our young Daniel is a 6-3/4 or 6-7/8 hat size. Is your son's the real thing, I'm assuming it is.

Oh, you must watch Rear Window. Grace Kelly is absolutely georgous. Here is the only still I could find of that hat:

Grace_Kelly.jpg
[/IMG]

All the stuff in my avatar is from my grandfather, including both hats. He was a fighter pilot in Europe. When he first got to England he literally found the hat that my son has on. It was much more beat up so he wore it all the time-to look like a battle hardened vet to the other guys. So, the one I have on is in great shape. I'll tell my wife you are encouraging her. It will just take some time I think. Thanks! And don't forget to watch Rear Window, and let your husband watch too so he can drool over Grace like I do!;)

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the link HPGene,

Great pics of this hat. What a difference changing the hat ribbon can make on a hat. Yes, yet another to add to the ever-growing list.

Dang, you are such an enabler... The other night DH jokingly asked if I was having a hat fetish now... I entirely blame all the FL gents here for this... and HPGene is their ringleader!;)

And here DH (so far) has four vintage hats and one new one, DS has five vintage (three recent snags from evilBay are on the way) but haha I have over twenty six vintage 30's and 40s hats, plus some non vintage hats I've had for many years . So I win...:p

HarpPlayerGene said:
Hey Carey,

Mossant was a French manufacturer of fine hats. This one is very vintage.

Other views can be seen here including the way the hat looked (with thin ribbon) when I received it: http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii79/harpplayergene/Mossant Paul Paris/

A search on Ebay for Mossant Hat will usually yield some entertaining old advertisements to view or buy.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
a great story about the provenence of these hats...

thanks for sharing.

Maybe if your DW likes this hat, she's more suited to be a 50s style gal??

I don't think DH has a particular favorite, my dad said never he liked the slim icy blonde type like GK, he was more interested in the curvaceous brunettes like Cyd Charisse and Ava Gardner.

Jabos said:
All the stuff in my avatar is from my grandfather, including both hats. He was a fighter pilot in Europe. When he first got to England he literally found the hat that my son has on. It was much more beat up so he wore it all the time-to look like a battle hardened vet to the other guys. So, the one I have on is in great shape.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I know why she likes GK's hat...

Its probably cuz' of the veiling... I have a few vintage with full face veiling. Its sooo great, and super fun to wear. I think the veils on the hats look exotic, alluring and so mysteri-oso (can't spell it but I can say it!) GK had such a thoroughbred, classy look.

Jabos said:
Here is the only still I could find of that hat:

Grace_Kelly.jpg
[/IMG]

I'll tell my wife you are encouraging her. It will just take some time I think. Thanks!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
thanks Billyspew,

(we'll settle up later for my paying you to say that...) . Funny, most people do say that, so its a good thing. I think I do have a "young", enthusiastic attitude about life. That helps, so do Pilates and Zumba classes, and an almost daily small dose of really excellent Italian dark chocolate (Amadei).:)

Great hat today, sir... I'm thinkin' DH needs a Borsalino

billyspew said:
chanteuseCarey: You don't look that old... :)

Today went for the Borsalino "stingy" (2 1/4" brim), for the more casual look as I was beering it up after work.
3405850060_3b5d9e643a_m.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
another day, another round of excellent hats...d

Wil Tam, deanglen- really dang nice!
Jimmy the lid, you're killing me with the Borsalino!
Carter, looove it, but what is a pungaree??

Our computer has been hosed (pardon my French) for some time now, and the frustration level has risen to an all time high. DH is finally now gonna have to back up all the programs, reinstall Windows, and then basically reinstall everything else. He will be able to get to his late in the evening after choir practice. So I'm signing off for a while. Catch you all again gents probably in the morning... Sleep well, sweet princes...

metropd

One Too Many
Torpedo said:
We are having a rainy week, so fedora and trench sounds like the best outfit... Hat is a Dobbs 15.

DSC_0380.jpg

I was coming out of the night shift, too, so the "five-o'clock-shadow" surely contributes to the overall stereotypical image... ;) A co-worker, on seeing me appearing, mentioned he had the impression he had went through a tunnel of time - I took it as a compliment, certainly it beats the "Inspector Gadget" pun!

You have so much charisma in all of your pictures. They are always so natural.;)

Wil Tam

Practically Family
chanteuseCarey said:
Wil Tam, deanglen- really dang nice!
Jimmy the lid, you're killing me with the Borsalino!
Carter, looove it, but what is a pungaree??

Our computer has been hosed (pardon my French) for some time now, and the frustration level has risen to an all time high. DH is finally now gonna have to back up all the programs, reinstall Windows, and then basically reinstall everything else. He will be able to get to his late in the evening after choir practice. So I'm signing off for a while. Catch you all again gents probably in the morning... Sleep well, sweet princes...

thanks

try ccleaner to maintain your PC, ... you should try registry mechanic also ... good luck!

pugaree_solidcolors.jpg

pugaree are ribbon treatments for lids.

Pduck

One of the Regulars
Jabos said:
All the stuff in my avatar is from my grandfather, including both hats. He was a fighter pilot in Europe. When he first got to England he literally found the hat that my son has on. It was much more beat up so he wore it all the time-to look like a battle hardened vet to the other guys. So, the one I have on is in great shape. I'll tell my wife you are encouraging her. It will just take some time I think. Thanks! And don't forget to watch Rear Window, and let your husband watch too so he can drool over Grace like I do!;)

Jabos, I cry whenever I see your avatar. My father was a bomber pilot during WWII and of course had a crusher hat. Unfortunately, it got lost in the last few years. It was my size too! I do still have his officer's dress hat, so I suppose I could take the stiffener out and turn it into a crusher.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
billyspew said:
chanteuseCarey: You don't look that old... :)

Today went for the Borsalino "stingy" (2 1/4" brim), for the more casual look as I was beering it up after work.
3405850060_3b5d9e643a_m.jpg

Looks generous enough to me. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Maguire

Practically Family
Went out to get food with some coworkers and figured i'd post this since i was dressed for the occasion. and i only had my hat on because we were about to leave, i always remove my hat indoors.

IMG_1361.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21