Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigger Don

Practically Family
What the hell gave you the idea I was wearing pants?
Oh, jeez, another one of those sheep-lovin', plaid skirt wearin', haggis eatin', Keats quotin' bagpipe players!

Funny thing is the political forum where I've been a regular for eons is a resident of Vancouver (not B.C.), Washington (not D.C.) ...like @MK our esteemed host... Scotsman always going on (in a fun way) about being just what I described above. Been tempted to delve into whether they've run into each other.

blueAZNmonkey

One Too Many
From what I've read here, it's not uncommon for older hats. The one with which I have experience is about 30 years old. The sweat is in great shape but I hear creaking when I put in the stretcher. (It's slowly keeping its 7 5/8 size for longer periods now.) Also from what I've read here, that is the felt. The sweat band is in great shape.
In my opinion, I'm having some fun with it.

Can't find your original post on this issue -- did you buy a hat that has slowly started shrinking? Or did you buy a hat that appears to have already been shrunken?

I've definitely come across my fair share of shrunken fur hats but I don't have enough knowledge on the subject to say whether the tightening was from the sweatband or the felt. Either way -- you seem to be stabilizing the size of your hat so it seems like what you're doing is working!

Braved the rain this day with a Cavanagh stingy. The supple felt didn't miss a beat in the storm. I actually have two identical "Rat Pack" hats. If anyone is interested in a trade, 7 1/14 LO. Really a special 1960s era gem.
30572858486_5cdfcc99bb_z.jpg

30309346980_b5c560307a_z.jpg

Bigger Don

Practically Family
Can't find your original post on this issue -- did you buy a hat that has slowly started shrinking? Or did you buy a hat that appears to have already been shrunken?
It was already shrunk when I got it from the Etsy seller. I figured it would be, looking at the pictures of the ribbon-crown gap. OTOH, I can't find much in my size (7 5/8) and thought that at the price I could try some of the things I had read about on this forum and elsewhere.
I've definitely come across my fair share of shrunken fur hats but I don't have enough knowledge on the subject to say whether the tightening was from the sweatband or the felt.
Once I got it I noticed there were also gaps between the sweatband and inside of the crown. The band was in good shape. That seemed to indicate it was the felt that had shrunk, pulling the stitches closer together. (Hey, I'm not expert. It's just what I figgered.)
Either way -- you seem to be stabilizing the size of your hat so it seems like what you're doing is working!
I like what's happened with it. However, it's a 2" brim, a little small for me to wear as a fedora. I'm thinking about curling the brim all around, telescoping the crown, add some stiffener and make it into a pork pie. I know how good they look on you, but here is my first inspiration for a pork pie.

upload_2016-10-27_22-1-3.jpeg

Clark Johnson as Det Meldrick Taylor in Homicide: Life on the Streets.

Chamuco

I'll Lock Up
I must say that I am sorry not to respond often to your comments.
I enjoy reading what you write about me or about the hats worn
I'm not shy, grumpy and lazy even, much less snooty
I have only one big problem: the language spoken on this forum is not my own and I often find myself in difficulty processing my answers.
I would like to do, but often stumble into the language and lost the right moment everything becomes less interesting, also because our reading times are staggered.
You get up out of bed and I go to lunch :rolleyes:
I ask you to understand and do not think me lazy or uninterested.
It's just a matter of speed and appropriateness in the language ........
I will be doing my best to keep alive the flame of European headgear (you know I am in good company, but few are with me in my "crusade" in the Old Continent).
Before to go to bed I thank you and I will try to be more ......live on stage o_O
Neither is mine Daniele, now I have a better idea why I come with crazy answers !!

Buenas noches !

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925