Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serious rain around here...

So I broke out the Glen Grey Campdraft. (photo from earlier wearing)
cdggtd4.jpg

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Love that Glen Grey Campdraft, gtdean! I'm still anxiously awaiting my CD (Taupe Fawn), but I thought long and hard about getting a Glen Grey.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
I'm sure it did, gtdean! I'm sure it did.

As for me, I can't take any pics, but it's cool enough for felt today, so I went with my Mid-grey Stylemaster.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Mr. Paladin said:
What a great outfit; I love the boater with it. Trying a new look with the moustache I see. The Dillinger label is most apropro!:eusa_clap

Yes, I am experimenting with a pencil moustache; it is very much a "work in progress" yet. We'll see... :D

Regarding the Dillinger subject you and Rusty raised, as a matter of fact, I wore this very hat to the theatre when I went to watch "Public Enemies", and I chose this hat on purpose, knowing the style of hat John Dillinger wore at the time of his demise - BTW, unlike him, I suffered no mishap on leaving the theatre ;)

Johnny Depp does not wear a real boater in the movie's Biograph Theatre scene, but a softer version of such. I have seen a pic of the real hat Dillinger wore, complete with damage at the brim and all, and it looks like it was a proper boater. Considering the film has a generally well kept attention to detail, this makes me wonder if Depp refused to wear one? Or maybe it was substituted by the softer hat because of the fall stunt?

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Torpedo said:
Yes, I am experimenting with a pencil moustache; it is very much a "work in progress" yet. We'll see... :D

Regarding the Dillinger subject you and Rusty raised, as a matter of fact, I wore this very hat to the theatre when I went to watch "Public Enemies", and I chose this hat on purpose, knowing the style of hat Dillinger wore at the time of his demise - BTW, unlike John Dillinger, I suffered no mishap on leaving the theatre ;)

Johnny Depp does not wear a real boater in the movie's Biograph Theatre scene, but a softer version of such. I have seen a pic of the real hat Dillinger wore, complete with damage at the brim and all, and it looks like it was a proper boater. Considering the film has a generally well kept attention to detail, this makes me wonder if Depp refused to wear one? Or maybe it was substituted by the softer hat because of the fall stunt?

Depp wouldn't refuse to wear a boater, he's a vintage hat enthusiast.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Garrett said:
Depp wouldn't refuse to wear a boater, he's a vintage hat enthusiast.
Probably not, and besides, the hat he does wear has look very similar to a boater, but made with softer material and not so sharp angles, so this would not make much sense. Hence my speculation in safety reasons. Maybe it was deemed necessary to give him a softer hat that would not break and potentially cause harm.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
RobStC said:
I may be biased at the moment, having a couple of Adams on the way from johnnyphi, but they just seem to do such nicely balanced proportions and colours, as evidenced by your pic.

First off, thanks gents! Mr. P -- glad to see you received the ADAM memo yesterday as well. ;)

RobStC -- I couldn't agree more with your assessment of Adam lids. I really do like the way that they are proportioned, and there is quite a variety of unique and tasteful color combinations and ribbon treatments. Looking forward to seeing your Adams once they arrive! :)

Cheers,
JtL

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Remember, though, that in the 1930s, there were a variety of weaves and materials which boaters were made of. I have a '20s one which is fairly sof, though it is 3-ply. Garrett just sold one that's more like a milan type weave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925