Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chamuco

I'll Lock Up
It's so great to look at a retail hat display, in my own little living room, and pick out a hat that's just right for the day. Still coming down from the whirlwind trip to Ecuador, I have this inner craving to wear paja toquilla. It's looking like an 85F degree day. Hot but not stifling. I chose to go with the new brisa/open weave hat from Cuenca, and a blue silk Hawaiian print shirt.

Brisa weave:
i-XbXTdjX-X2.jpg

i-mQ3Nt2m-L.jpg

i-4Br98bn-L.jpg

i-ht96kbB-L.jpg

What a brim!
i-LGPxJbw-L.jpg
Pero qué bonito Sombrero Diego !!!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Jeremy T Garner

Practically Family
sorry, am absolutely hammered, mate died earlier, got drunk then, tried to sleep, back up, back down, hete's me now, don't share View attachment 79244
Sorry to hear you are having to deal with that my friend! Never know what to say at times like this as I never think it comes out right. Just know you have my size sincerest condolences and I'll be thinking about you and your friends/family. Hang in there partner!

Jeremy T Garner

Practically Family
Not bad for a Scala. I always like wearing a boater around town, they turn heads. In fact I think my 40s Dobbs Boater will ride with me to the farmer's market in the morning. You are an inspiration. You have the jaunty tilt down pat!
Thanks a lot Mike! I am eyeballing a Lock and Co. for my next Boater. I'm looking forward to the pic of the Dobbs for tomorrow's ride. Thanks for the compliment about the tilt! I was really worried I couldn't pull off the boater look but thus far I am really loving it! :)

Love the J. Starship stuff and evidently the same brand and style of hat. Enjoy the concert. I have attended Jorma Kaukonen's Fur Peace Camp a couple of times and listened to very early Starship stories. Hot Tuna and his/Cassidy's acoustic blues are what turns my crank.brachycephalic (short-headed or broad-headed) respiratory system

Enjoy sir. Eric -

I'll be seeing the Tuna next Saturday here in town. The Fur Peace Ranch is only a couple hours from here. Jorma (and I think Jack) went to Antioch College in Yellow Springs which is only about 30 minutes from my house.

Thanks Fed! I usually save the **moe** designation for hats that I battered and fumbled into existance myself, or at least refurbished. Hmmm...I guess that means my straw porker that I just put a new sweat in is now a moelan...:)

You got me on that...I had to google it!

Absolutely awesome dye you got there, and great with the lid!

Yeah, pretty obscure, I guess. Thanks for the compliments.

Enjoy the show, hopefully they will sound like your memories. Great hat for the event

The were pretty good. At least Frieberg and Baldwin are left playing with them. But for me, if there's no Paul, there's no Jefferson anything.

sorry, am absolutely hammered, mate died earlier, got drunk then, tried to sleep, back up, back down, hete's me now, don't share View attachment 79244

Very sorry to hear, Karl. Put on a good drunk for him and then celebrate the good things.

Darn...need to get one of those !! The kind of hat that make us ugly guys look handsome !!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

HAHA!

Thanks a lot Mike! I am eyeballing a Lock and Co. for my next Boater. I'm looking forward to the pic of the Dobbs for tomorrow's ride. Thanks for the compliment about the tilt! I was really worried I couldn't pull off the boater look but thus far I am really loving it! :)
The quality is sure there, but they are really spendy. There is just something about the patina of old straw that gets my juices flowing. I realize you have size issues, but a vintage boater would be less, and so much nicer. There will be one floating by soon I'm sure. I'll keep my eye out as well, 7.5?

Jeremy T Garner

Practically Family
The quality is sure there, but they are really spendy. There is just something about the patina of old straw that gets my juices flowing. I realize you have size issues, but a vintage boater would be less, and so much nicer. There will be one floating by soon I'm sure. I'll keep my eye out as well, 7.5?
I agree totally about the patina and age of vintage straw! I am also watching a vintage Knox that is in excellent shape other than the leather sweat. The problem I have is that I am in between a 7 1/2 and 7 5/8 and I'm not sure if I can stretch straw like I can felt. Some hats a 7 1/2 is perfect and others it's too tight so I normally ere on the side of caution and go with a 5/8.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
The Scala Boater arrived this afternoon. Overall for the money ($32) I was very pleased. The brim however was much too flimsy and needed to be stiffened and flattened but that only took me about 30 minutes to fix :) Once completed I have worn it for the rest of the day. The sweat looks kind of el chepo but as my first, and for a place holder until something better comes along, I am tickled. I may follow the tradition with the boater and put my fist through it at the end of the straw season just for fun. I'm sure my 18 month old boy would love to help daddy with that! ;) View attachment 79237 View attachment 79238 View attachment 79239 View attachment 79240
Looks good on you my friend.

I agree totally about the patina and age of vintage straw! I am also watching a vintage Knox that is in excellent shape other than the leather sweat. The problem I have is that I am in between a 7 1/2 and 7 5/8 and I'm not sure if I can stretch straw like I can felt. Some hats a 7 1/2 is perfect and others it's too tight so I normally ere on the side of caution and go with a 5/8.
Sweat work in boaters is an unknown to me. I would call Mike Miller and ask if they can be worked on. If the rest of the hat is intact and sound, I can't see why it can't be restored and up-sized. I have not been through the Boater Faction thread in a long time, maybe someone had this kind of work done in the past and posted it. There is always another coming around the bend, patience Grasshopper.

Jeremy T Garner

Practically Family
Sweat work in boaters is an unknown to me. I would call Mike Miller and ask if they can be worked on. If the rest of the hat is intact and sound, I can't see why it can't be restored and up-sized. I have not been through the Boater Faction thread in a long time, maybe someone had this kind of work done in the past and posted it. There is always another coming around the bend, patience Grasshopper.
Good call! I still need to get my Etchison to Mike for some sweat work and I'm also thinking of sending my black Stetson Temple to him to change the black ribbon to graphite or silver/gray and add a matching brim binding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points