Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As much as most of us love Christmas, regrettably also comes winter. Time to get out the fur felt. The Biltmore President felt pretty good today in 28 degrees.

View attachment 96922 View attachment 96923
Beautiful hat snake! The color is so nice. The box is a work of art as well. The fly rod and reel add a nice touch. I am a fly fisherman also.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

sergejvandervreede

One Too Many
WHEW!! Through thick and thin, we post again! Life is complicated enough, folks....

Today my pal Marty and I after the Thursday morning (6:30am) minyan. It was MUCH better than last week!

Marty: Wool, overwelted black brim, pressed by another of the ten, who SAT on it this morning. Sprang back nicely, don't you think?
Me: my first VS, in blue steel.
View attachment 96924
Good to have you back, Charlie. Love the VS. Steel is a great color. But 6:30......phew. You and Marty must be real morning people.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-J510FN met Tapatalk

sergejvandervreede

One Too Many
Cool day with a few snow flakes out checking on the kennel dogs.David Morgan Akubra Adventurer
cFpqSOw.jpg
eESVSF0.jpg
Great hat and jacket!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-J510FN met Tapatalk

I was thinking the same thing Redfokker - if it’s dialect it could be Swabian. I suspect that’s not the answer but I would like to hear from a native speaker whether or not this grammar is weird to him/her...
I've been told this is a common problem when translating from one language to another--the different dialects and/or rules of grammar can result in a translation that makes little sense or is worded strangely, so translators have to consider the context and intent and re-word the translation so that it makes sense.

Sometimes this happens even when people are speaking the same language. At my last place of employment two co-workers got married. His family came to the U.S. from Mexico, hers from one of the Spanish-speaking countries in South America. They were both fluent in Spanish, but one day he told me that she used words he'd never heard before, and that half of the time he had no idea what she was talking about. :p

I've been told this is a common problem when translating from one language to another--the different dialects and/or rules of grammar can result in a translation that makes little sense or is worded strangely, so translators have to consider the context and intent and re-word the translation so that it makes sense.

Sometimes this happens even when people are speaking the same language. At my last place of employment two co-workers got married. His family came to the U.S. from Mexico, hers from one of the Spanish-speaking countries in South America. They were both fluent in Spanish, but one day he told me that she used words he'd never heard before, and that half of the time he had no idea what she was talking about. :p

I've got the same problem with my wife, and we grew up only a few miles from each other!

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Nathaniel Finley

A-List Customer

German has very strict rules about word order: the main verb always has to come in the “second position” in the sentence, for example. This makes for some very interesting writing, since what is meant by “fist position,” “second position,” “third position” etc. isn’t exactly the number of words, but rather grammatical structure. In a sentence like, “Ein sehr grosser Mann schlagte mich ein” (a very tall man hit me) the noun “Ein sehr grosser Mann” is four words but it’s considered the “first position.”

Due to other nuances of German grammar, you could actually use an infinite number of adjectives to describe the tall man - and not just simple adjectives but complex things like gerunds which have the man doing something before he actually does the main verb: “Ein sehr grosser, hamburger essende, schwarz und gelb LKV fahrende Mann” for example (a very tall, hamburger eating, black and gold semi-truck driving man).

This is a simple example but German allows for a lot of other complexities that don’t work in English: “Ein sehr grosser, hamburger essende, schwarz und gelb LKV das trotzdem zu klein fuer ihn war fahrende, direkt von dem Arbeitsplatz wo er auch seinen Chef eingeschlagen hat gekommende Mann” is an example, which directly translated means, “A very tall, hamburger eating, black and gold semi-truck that anyway was to little for him driving, direct from the workplace coming where he had also struck the boss man.” That doesn’t work in English but it does in German.

There’s no way to translate something that complex into English and stay true to the original. The translator just has to break up all the “first position” information into a string of dependent clauses or even multiple sentences: “A very tall, hamburger eating man hit me - a man who drove a black and gold semi truck that was anyway too small for him and had just come from the workplace where he’d also struck the boss.”

In German this kind of grammar isn’t weird, either - it’s actually the grammar of this ad and I suppose it would be fairly complex for the average consumer, which is why I wonder if this ad was targeting a more upper class (or at least very literate) market. One famous German author wrote a sentence in a novel with some 500 words in the first position, meaning the main verb of the sentence didn’t come until two pages after the sentence began! :eek:

Having said all of that, however, I completely agree with you: far and away the most difficult linguistic challenge I have ever faced is trying to translate the wants and desires of a woman I love into something that I can understand! :confused:

Sorry for the grammar lesson but I find German to be a fascinating language.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk