Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
portolan said:
Is there a name for the style of the great work you do with brims? I love the down in front and back and horizontal or only slightly raised sides....If I could get your hat with a slightly lower crown and that brim....wow! Congrats on that beauty. Phil

Thanks, Phil -- and good to see you back here!

As far as brims go, I've stated before that Borsalinos -- particularly the Alessandrias -- seem to have the most "spsi" ("swoop per square inch" :D). There's very little I have to do on Borso brims -- and the hat you're referring to didn't need any work in that regard. Also, although it may look like it's turned down in back, it's not. There is a very slight curl to the brim in back.

As a general matter, that's what I shoot for in a brim -- it appears to be turned down in the back, but, from the side you can see that the brim flattens out in back and then has a very slight curl to it. For me personally, I don't like brims to have a lot of upturn in the back -- and I do steam the brims and work with them to move the break back a bit farther and to flatten things out at the back.

I think that gtdean and RBH also favor a similar approach, and gtdean has described the look as a flat brim in back with a slight pencil curl effect.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid said:
I think that gtdean and RBH also favor a similar approach, and gtdean has described the look as a flat brim in back with a slight pencil curl effect.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
JtL
Oh most definitely favor it! This is a side shot of my Stetson Roadmaster, which may have a tad more curl than others but shows the effect very well for Brother Phil....
P1010128.jpg

MadDawg

Familiar Face
Question about Fur Hats...

I get conflicting informatin about wearing fur hats in wet weather. Many posters recommend wearing the Akubra hats in rain and snow, but others mention that their furs don't even sniff the outdoors if it is going to rain or snow. Which should I abide by??

billysmom

One Too Many
MadDawg said:
I get conflicting informatin about wearing fur hats in wet weather. Many posters recommend wearing the Akubra hats in rain and snow, but others mention that their furs don't even sniff the outdoors if it is going to rain or snow. Which should I abide by??

My experience has been that if they're clean, rain and snow will not damage felt hats and sometimes precipitation actually helps to "mature" new-ish ones. If they're not clean, unsightly soil rings can result. These are sometimes difficult to brush out.

Just my experience. ;)

Sue

billysmom

One Too Many
mayserwegener said:
Sue, Really great hat / look! I can't get enough of the 20s / 30s long hair velour finishes.

Thanks, mayserwegener, Mr. P, Lefty and gtdean. Props from the masters are always special. I couldn't resist pairing the '20's hat with the raccoon coat.

Sue

kaosharper1

One Too Many
MadDawg said:

Real fur felts should be able to stand almost anything though a torrential rain might make them lose their shape. But a fur felt hat can be reblocked when that happens. Shrinkage is the main problem when hats get wet, even fur felts. They need to be naturally dried or else they'll shrink.

I've worn my Akubras in rain and snow and they only get better. Darker colors will show less wear, I think. Lighter colors may show staining after a while.

Scott Wood

Practically Family
portolan said:
Is there a name for the style of the great work you do with brims? I love the down in front and back and horizontal or only slightly raised sides....If I could get your hat with a slightly lower crown and that brim....wow! Congrats on that beauty. Phil
Akubra has a few in their line up that are along the lines of what you are describing...
Good luck with your search,

Woody

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
RBH said:
Today to go see 'AVATAR' with my daughter and her boyfriend, I wore my Adventurebilt CS.

ab003.jpg

Looking good in the AB, Rusty.

I like the profile you, JTL, and gtd have on your rear brims. I may tend to let mine stay a bit too curved. I only have 2 or three that I think look good with the sharper curve. I need to put some time in flattening mine some more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoEllis