Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Sharp chap, David!

Thanks hatophile, I really like that VS hat.

Later this evening - Borsalino and Baseball

borsabb-L.jpg

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Nice set of photos, Doc. You look comfortable and confident in your lids.

Steve, that is one great looking hat on you.

An excellent looking pair of lids today, David.

DocRedfield

One of the Regulars
Yeah, that is a TALL hat! Awesome though.

Myself, I'll have to really start listing them here with more description... most are vintage, some newer, and in some cases, I lack the complete terminology

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Good day Fedora folks. I would like to share my a couple of my newest hats.

Playboy: I aquired another Stetson Playboy. It is nearly a mirror copy of my first Playboy. Windcord, fawny color in grand condition. The leather band is excellent. This Playboy does not have a liner, rather the "naked felt."

My first Playboy has been seeing use by my 16 year old nephew. According to my brother, he has been wearing daily. It is in very appreciative hands and finding perfect utility. I am glad to gift the hat to a new hat wear-er.

Check it out:
IMG_5105.JPG

Marathon (JC Penny Marathon): This Marathon is my first Open Road styled hat. This specific hat is in superb condition. The color is silver with a hint of minty green undertones. Very styling I think. I have steamed out some creases and odd folds to the bash it arrived in. I think that the pic will show a very generic bash. Today, I am still musing about what would be the best look. This hat is the largest brim that I have worn. Being a small balding guy,5'3" @ 130#, the mirror tells me that it is larger. Tape measure says it has a 3" brim. I hope that it continues to grow on me as I am very pleased with the hat.

Hat sharing:
IMG_5104.JPG

Ah yes the inside shot:
IMG_5103.JPG

Thanks for taking a look. I will be wearing the Marathon as I head out this afternoon into the 40' damp spring MN weather. Eric -

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Pre 1940s Echter Borsalino

5659189234_3c5cc8f3fe_z.jpg

Love the dimensions of that hat, Steve! Its interesting that the ribbon has that sewing on the upper portion of it. I have several pre 1940's hats that use the same treatment. I wonder why they started and stopped that practice within a very short time span.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
That's a beautiful hat!

I love the crease. It looks amazing, well done. I love the way it drops a little in the back. Definately a good look, and fits the hat well with dimensions. It does have that Mario diamond crease vibe to it, and nothing wrong with that. I find Mario very inspirational.

Josh, wonderful work on the Royalist.

Thanks Guys! I wish that hat had been a little bigger. I bought it a bit small and figured that I could stretch it out. That sweat wouldnt stretch no matter what I tried to do with it. Unfortunately I had to sell it, but I think I will try doing that crease in another hat. It was really my first attempt at doing that type of crease. I stared at and studied Mario's pictures of his Grey Mallory with purple ribbon. That hat had such a nice diamond. It took me 45 minutes and a boatload of steam to try and replicate that crease. Thanks Mario.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Love the dimensions of that hat, Steve! Its interesting that the ribbon has that sewing on the upper portion of it. I have several pre 1940's hats that use the same treatment. I wonder why they started and stopped that practice within a very short time span.

What is this being based on?

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
This is based on the fact, that if you look at all the hats that Steve has posted and all of the hats that many of the loungers have posted, the long thread stitching on the top part of the ribbon is absent on almost all of the hats accept for a small percentage. Like I said, I only have a couple hats from a very short time frame that have that kind of long stitching on the upper part of the ribbon. Ive looked through a good amount of threads and still have seen very few. I'm assuming that particular style of practice was short lived based on that. I could be wrong, it was just an observation.

SteveAS

Practically Family
This is based on the fact, that if you look at all the hats that Steve has posted and all of the hats that many of the loungers have posted, the long thread stitching on the top part of the ribbon is absent on almost all of the hats accept for a small percentage. Like I said, I only have a couple hats from a very short time frame that have that kind of long stitching on the upper part of the ribbon. Ive looked through a good amount of threads and still have seen very few. I'm assuming that particular style of practice was short lived based on that. I could be wrong, it was just an observation.

I have only one hat with a thread running along the top of the ribbon: a Dobbs Leisure Light that seems to be from the late 1930s or very early 1940s. Like Josh, I've seen this type of thread only on hats of this era.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran