Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
IMG_8630.jpg

IMG_8621.jpg

IMG_8622.jpg

Duper

Practically Family
Looking back a few pages I see some terrific hats fellas. Love the Borso D-man. You sure have some variety Rodkins. Ahh the tried and true Camp draft DJH.. A beauty in the shade of bone job. Monbla256, it works well for you.

Austin City Limits

Returned from my first visit to Texas this weekend. I flew into Austin and rented a car to get to our destination about 50 miles west to a resort on Lake LBJ. The occasion was the 70th annual convention of the Greeting Card Association. It's few days of trade talk on stuff like how do we help save the Post Office and other lost causes. But mainly it's an intimate gathering of some very nice folks from companies both big and small who enjoy eating and drinking. Did you know that the forever stamp is brought to you courtesy of the Greeting Card Association?

Texas is really dry. Llana County where we were staying has seen five hundredths of an inch of rain this summer. But somehow the resort region has dispensation to water a little and things looked pretty nice. I got up most mornings around sunrise and enjoyed the view from my room.

conv3.jpg

conv4.jpg

conv5.jpg

I had an afternoon free and drove a hundred miles roundtrip to have a great Mexican lunch with my FL friend Zetwal. Some of the highlights of my hat collection have come from Zetwal and to meet and talk in person was a highlight of my trip. I honored the 70th convention with a Stetson Stratoliner that could have been worn to the first. Zetwal was sporting a great 1940's Playboy. We took some pictures after lunch.

conv1.jpg

conv2.jpg

Driving back, I stopped to take some pictures where one of the Austin wildfires had crossed State Highway 71. It's hard to capture the devastation... in late afternoon light, the foliage glows golden, as if still alive. The trees are ghosts with toasted leaves and ashen trunks. The ground is cinder. Power lines remain down, insulation melted. Panorama:

conv10.jpg

conv11.jpg

conv12.jpg

conv13.jpg

conv14.jpg

Austin City Limits

The convention content had some good sessions. One of my favorites was a talk by Carey Lohrenz who was among the first female F-14 fighter pilots. Her story of the challenges faced in her career and especially the challenge of landing a fighter jet at night on the deck of an aircraft carrier pitching in 30 foot waves was quite riveting.

conv6.jpg

Afterwards, a good stiff drink was in order... here enjoyed by two of the three generations of Birchcraft Studios.

conv7.jpg

A few selfies of my feeble attempts to blend into the locale.

conv9.jpg

conv8.jpg

Long day traveling home, I passed some time experimenting with my iPhone camera:

conv15.jpg

conv16.jpg

conv17.jpg

conv18.jpg

Last edited:

BR Gordon

One Too Many
Driving back, I stopped to take some pictures where one of the Austin wildfires had crossed State Highway 71. It's hard to capture the devastation... in late afternoon light, the foliage glows golden, as if still alive. The trees are ghosts with toasted leaves and ashen trunks. The ground is cinder. Power lines remain down, insulation melted. Panorama:

conv10.jpg

conv11.jpg

conv12.jpg

conv13.jpg

conv14.jpg

Alan, I'm constantly amazed at the talent that we have on FL. Your photos are truly enjoyable to view, even if the subject is discouraging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk