Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Dinerman said:
Remember, though, that in the 1930s, there were a variety of weaves and materials which boaters were made of. I have a '20s one which is fairly sof, though it is 3-ply. Garrett just sold one that's more like a milan type weave.

I am aware of this; but in this pic of the real hat Dillinger wore that night, which fellow lounger Wolfmanjack shared in another thread, it looks (to me at least) like a classic stiff boater - the weave, the brim thickness and "sawtoothed" edge, even the kind of brim damage visible, seem to be consistent with that. I do not argue that hats like the one Depp wears are not accurate for the times portrayed, just that it seems to be inaccurate for that particular scene reenactment.

The-Hat.jpg

Chiliarches

A-List Customer
Torpedo said:
I am aware of this; but in this pic of the real hat Dillinger wore that night, which fellow lounger Wolfmanjack shared in another thread, it looks (to me at least) like a classic stiff boater - the weave, the brim thickness and "sawtoothed" edge, even the kind of brim damage visible, seem to be consistent with that. I do not argue that hats like the one Depp wears are not accurate for the times portrayed, just that it seems to be inaccurate for that particular scene reenactment.

The-Hat.jpg

It is curious, particularly since they took the time to give him the correct gun...though I think there was a slight anachronism there also, which I think I have noted elsewhere.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Superb felts everyone. For me I`m enjoying the last few weeks of Panama weather...still pretty hot in Tokyo, even at nights

NikonAugust2009008-1.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I noticed that odd straw hat on Mr. Depp when I saw the movie. I thought that perhaps a wardrobe director or an art director must have thought he'd look a tad more dashing in a brim they could put a slight swoop in.

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Michaelshane said:
You should have a 470 nitro, double rifle across your lap....:eusa_clap

How do ya know he doesn't? ;)

Douglas is a successful hat hunter :eusa_clap

tbrunke

Familiar Face
Jauntyone said:
Nice hat, tbrunke! The blue suit is pretty sharp, too. Is it linnen or wool?

Thanks! The suit is wool, but a very light type I believe, not too savvy on fabric but I'm learning; quite comfortable!

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Inspiring hats there Douglas. The Aussie slouch makes me wanna sing Peter Allan's "I still call Australia home" (which is good cos I live here).

But I'm beginning to think you've got no left eye...

Torpedo

One Too Many
Mr P., always keeping a touch of class at court!
Douglas, great "explorer" outfit - the hat is the cream on top!
Jimmy, one can do nothing but drool at those outstanding lids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner