Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat That You Wear Has Got You The Most Comments.

The Rag And Bone Man

One of the Regulars
I've been a lover of hats since my mum and dad purchased me one back in the late 70's, it was a general run of the mill flat cap, but boy did i treasure it.
I think i wore it just about everwhere, from memory and perhaps even to bed a few times, and since then hats have been my thing, weather flat caps fedoras or the unusual.
Now in my mid 40's i am always amazed by how many comments i get when i wear my hats one in particular gets me more comments than i could ever imagine, the old stetson whippet.
I know just how popular the hat has always been, but you know i had from the very young to the very old always making great comments about the way the hat looks, i'll be honest even though i am very happily married i may have even landed a few dates with conversations that have occured, just over talking about the hat i was wearing.
I always amazes me just how something as simple as a hat, can bring people together.
Have you had any great comments when wearing your favourite hat, or have you even managed to secure a date when striking up a conversation, over your hat.
It sure would be nice to know, whats your favourite and why..

Easy answer for me... my often-mentioned first fedora, purchased in the early seventies. Easy because I've been wearing it the longest, giving the most opportunity to be seen. Almost never fails to garner a comment. And yes, even at my fifty-or-so age there are comments I've received that are incredibly uplifting from all ages of ladies. Most mind-boggling are from my age twenty-something daughters' friends, which has occurred on several occasions.

The only caveat; as men, we always think they want us... :p

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For me it's been my cut down Akubra Squatter. For some reason this gets the most compliments from non-hat people.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
1930s Penn-Craft by Stetson.

05411.jpg

johnnycanuck

I wear a fedora daily. So this winter when I started wearing a Tilley Flat cap everyone took notice, and called it a beret...... Grr.
My five cents worth
Johnny

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Bone Man, not surprising the Whippet gets comments, it's pretty much the "classic fedora" in the opinion of many. My hat that gets the most comments is my VS Art-Lite in Powder blue:

IMG_0234.jpg

The Rag And Bone Man

One of the Regulars
Hey casechopper the old Akubra squatter is a fine looking at, and as you would know a favourite of us Australians. Funny you should mention it as i am eyeing one up on ebay oz right now.
But although i don't own one, even though i was in the shop last week, in katoomba trying one on,the federation deluxe is perhaps my favourite of theres.

The Rag And Bone Man

One of the Regulars
Bone Man, not surprising the Whippet gets comments, it's pretty much the "classic fedora" in the opinion of many. My hat that gets the most comments is my VS Art-Lite in Powder blue:

IMG_0234.jpg

Another beautiful looking hat, man thats one amazing color.. what would you wear that with, cream color suit, i bet you would get noticed a mile away.
Awesome Mike..

Neophyte

The hat I wear most frequently and which gets the most reaction is my Buckaroo Hatters custom. It reminds most of Billy Jack's headgear.

8592192683_9a4cdfd871_z.jpg

8592192225_493f6c324c_z.jpg

galopede

One of the Regulars
My most commented hat has to be a genuine Basque beret I bought at a Boina (Spanish for beret) shop in San Sebastian, northern Spain.

Great hat and always in my pocket unless it's a fedora day.

Comments include but not limited to:
"Look out, it's a Frenchman" I'm Welsh actually!
"Where's your string of onions?"
"Where's the stripey jersey?"
"'Allo, 'Allo..."

Gareth

galopede

One of the Regulars
My most commented hat has to be a genuine Basque beret I bought at a Boina (Spanish for beret) shop in San Sebastian in the Basque region of northern Spain.

Great hat and always in my pocket unless it's a fedora day.

"Look out, it's a Frenchman" I'm Welsh actually!
"Where's your string of onions?"
"Where's the stripey jersey?"
"'Allo, 'Allo..."

Gareth

Hal

Practically Family
"Look out, it's a Frenchman" I'm Welsh actually! "Where's your string of onions?" Gareth
Ah, well! Most of the onion-sellers are (or used to be) beret-wearing Bretons who frequently understood Welsh (it doesn't work vice-versa - Welsh-speakers don't understand Breton).I suspect they would react to being called French in the same way that a Welshman reacts to being called English.
But to revert to the topic - are berets traditional wear over the whole of the French state plus the Spanish Basque country? And why shouldn't we sport styles of a different nationality if we want to? Some people seem to want to make any comment at all rather than remain respectfully silent.

Much like here in the States, folks associate fedoras with Indiana Jones, gangsters, etc, when really they have been worn through the years by everyday folk, including our grandfathers.

I say why not wear it if you like it! I have a beret and like the look just don't wear it much because my fedoras give me more weather protection.

Last edited:

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Another beautiful looking hat, man thats one amazing color.. what would you wear that with, cream color suit, i bet you would get noticed a mile away.
Awesome Mike..

Thanks Bone Man. Actually it's a color that's a lot more versatile than you'd think. Goes well with my camel mohair (in my avatar), and black/white wool Atomic Fleck sport coats, and wear I it all the time with jeans and just a T-shirt.

IMG_0372_zps29b25600.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR