Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hats Did Pharell Wear in the Video for Happy (2013)?

BugsyThugsy

New in Town
In the video, Pharrell wears two great fedoras:
  • 0:04 - first appearance of brown fedora
  • 0:29 - first appearance of black fedora
I love the very wide brim, and I am trying to identify the specific hats he wore in the video.

Pharell Darker Hat 01.png Pharell Darker Hat 02.png Pharell Darker Hat 03.png Pharell Lighter Hat 01.png Pharell Lighter Hat 02.png Pharell Lighter Hat 03.png

In the video, Pharrell wears two great fedoras:
  • 0:04 - first appearance of brown fedora
  • 0:29 - first appearance of black fedora
I love the very wide brim, and I am trying to identify the specific hats he wore in the video.

View attachment 226904 View attachment 226905 View attachment 226909 View attachment 226911 View attachment 226912 View attachment 226913

I don’t know this guy or what movie your photos are from. There are a lot of very similarly styled hats out there. Unless someone with personal knowledge speaks up, or if we can see clear photos of the interior of the hat, I can’t see how we can know what hat he’s wearing. The style is having its 15 minutes so there are lots of companies making this type of hat. Aside from bespoke, have you looked through the catalogs from usual players?

I forget the name of his hatter but he generally wears custom made hats. If you want a replica send the pic to any of the custom hatters named here in the lounge and I would bet they would replicate it for much much less than Pharell paid his celebrity hatter.

You know this guy? I just googled him and learned he’s a singer. His hat looks a lot like an Open Road with the brim ironed flat.

BugsyThugsy

New in Town
I don’t know this guy or what movie your photos are from...

1. I provided a link to the video in my original post. However, since you appear to have missed that, here it is:

2. I don't know who "the usual players" are - I don't know ANYTHING about hats. There's a reason why I am asking you fine folks for help...

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I forget the name of his hatter but he generally wears custom made hats. If you want a replica send the pic to any of the custom hatters named here in the lounge and I would bet they would replicate it for much much less than Pharell paid his celebrity hatter.
This one is very good, I can thoroughly recommend her: Esther Weis.

redlinerobert

One of the Regulars
I think finding this specific hat is going to be difficult as there are several companies that make similar hats. Your best bet? Show this video to a custom hatter and who could replicate it. Also....Just because the style looks good on him doesn't mean it's going to fit you. A good time to find a nice hat shop and find something similar, that works for you. Good luck with your search.

1. I provided a link to the video in my original post. However, since you appear to have missed that, here it is:

2. I don't know who "the usual players" are - I don't know ANYTHING about hats. There's a reason why I am asking you fine folks for help...

If he’s a successful singer, there’s a good chance his hats are custom made. It sounds like @belfastboy has heard of him and that his hats are customs. Plan on paying $250 and up...way up for a custom. To be honest, you can get a great custom hat in the sub $400 range. Otherwise, look through the catalog linked below and see if there’s something similar. Remember that felt hats can be reshaped.

http://www.hat-co.com/perch//resources/f20-stetson-city-no-prices.pdf

Tonio

A-List Customer
Can’t say definitively, however Nick Fouquet was known to make hats for him. Whether or not their worth it is another topic you can read about here.

Also as a side note, the Smokey the bear type hat most people know Pharrell as wearing was by Vivienne Westwood.

Can’t say definitively, however Nick Fouquet was known to make hats for him. Whether or not their worth it is another topic you can read about here.

Also as a side note, the Smokey the bear type hat most people know Pharrell as wearing was by Vivienne Westwood.
thank you, that was the name of the hatter that I could not recall.

BugsyThugsy

New in Town
The Mountain Hat was originally introduced in the 80's, here's Sex Pistols manager Malcom McLaren:
GettyImages-85252277.jpg

What is a "Mountain Hat" and which of the 6 people in that picture is Malcom McLaren? I see two (maybe three) styles of hat in that picture.

Seriously guys, I KNOW ABSOLUTELY NOTHING - I need you to explain things like I am 5 yrs old...

What is a "Mountain Hat" and which of the 6 people in that picture is Malcom McLaren? I see two (maybe three) styles of hat in that picture.

Seriously guys, I KNOW ABSOLUTELY NOTHING - I need you to explain things like I am 5 yrs old...
The 3 women in the foreground all have versions of the hat. And the one guy middle of back row another version. It is a hip version of a smoky the bear, mounted police, park ranger hat. The hats have a soft hand and can be bashed easily. These ones I think are meant to look uber casual, and have devil may care attitude to the look. I think Malcolm is the white guy front row middle.

If you were to find an open crowned hat......check out the Akubra Campdraft model. Tall unbashed crown, wide brim you with some steam, patience and a sense of fun could replicate that look for a relatively small sum of money.. Check out Everything Australian or Hats Direct. Akubra hat represent IMHO the best value in hats. Decent quality for a great price. Under $150 delivered to you in the US ready for you to put your stamp of style upon it. Only way in my opinion....go to the end of the dock and jump in....have some fun.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up

Malcolm is the skinny dude in the middle who looks like he would be the manager of the Sex Pistols. He was romantically involved with Vivenne Westwood at the time, and the two made large contributions to the style of punk.

The Mountain hat has a tall crown with a freeform, rumpled crease. This was really more of an aside about the hat Pharell infamously wore at the Grammys. He had actually been pictured wearing it out and about months before.

as to the hats you're asking about, it really could be anything. The Westwood hat he apparently bought off the rack, and he's very much a hat enthusiast, so who knows. We really can't do much without being able to see the inside branding. There are dozens of thin ribbon style fedoras out there, for example. The second hat could be a vintage Open Road or maybe a Borsalino Alessandria. The first one is probably modern because the very flat brim is a recent trend.

Last edited:
When Pharell was a coach on The Voice I liked many of the hats he wore. They had subtle details. One I remember had the brim binding only half way around the hat....hokey idea but it worked I thought...at least on him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21