What Have You Acquired From Family?

Discussion in 'The Display Case' started by Penny Dreadful, Jan 4, 2011.

1. BlueTrain

BlueTrain Call Me a Cab

I have virtually nothing from my side of the family except a few photographs, since we didn't have any money. But my wife has all kinds of things. We even have a Confederate war bond and some money. I have some real antique tools passed on when my father-in-law died. He had enough for all the "boys" in the family to have all they wanted with some left over. But one of the boys was about to move overseas and took nothing. That's really about it, excepf for a few pieces of furniture.

2. Atticus Finch

Atticus Finch Call Me a Cab

Being an only child, I inherited quite a bit of stuff from both sides of my family. Some of it was worth a bit, and some, maybe not so much. These are among my favorite things from my mother's side.

Clockwise from the top: Mom's 1970s No. 4 Lodge skillet. Mom's 1947 No. 10 Lodge skillet...a wedding gift. My great-grandmother's No. 8 Chicago Hardware Foundry skillet with lid. And finally, my grandmother's 1930s, No. 8 Griswold skillet.

I cook on them all.

[​IMG]

AF

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    Turnip, 1955mercury and Bamaboots like this.
  3. BlueTrain

BlueTrain Call Me a Cab

At our house, there's a difference between inheriting something and just hanging on to family stuff until some other family member takes it off our hands.

4. Love the lid on the Chicago Hardware Foundry skillet! We have several Griswold pieces and use it all the time as well.

Atticus Finch likes this.
  5. Atticus Finch

Atticus Finch Call Me a Cab

My great-grandmother's Chicago Hardwear Foundry skillet in action. Making the shrimp part of "Geoff's Low Country Shrimp and Grits".

[​IMG]

AF

Turnip, 1955mercury, Kirk H. and 2 others like this.
  6. Excuse the blurry cell phone pic (from 2013). This is just the skillets that are handy (there is so much more cast iron that we had to shore up the pantry). The rack was found in a hardware store that was going out of business.

[​IMG]

7. My wife just got these from her cousin in NYC that she hasn't seen in over a decade. They may be non-PC, but it's OK as my wife is half Seminole.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Turnip, Bamaboots, dh66 and 2 others like this.
  8. Stormy Plumtree

Stormy Plumtree New in Town

This wasn't necessarily from family, but I consider it a family heirloom now. I became close with an elderly woman a few years ago. She had no one to pass her mother's wedding dress to, and she was adamant that I take it. The dress is from the 1930's - as well as the headpiece. Miraculously, it fits me like a glove. It's a little wrinkly and needs a good cleaning (it had been sitting in a box for 70 years) but otherwise in beautiful condition. The veil unfortunately was crumbling to bits and I had to throw it away.

I had some nice pictures taken wearing it recently. Not for a wedding, just for fun with a photographer friend. Safe to say it's one of my prized possessions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

seres, Turnip, alanfgag and 4 others like this.
  9. My mother-in-law had this old paving brick from Kansas.

IMG_7870.jpg

10. Willybob

Willybob A-List Customer

My Grandad's Stetson bowler he gave me in 1978. Fits me perfect.
    image.jpeg

11. Mom gifted me this thermometer to use in our new barn/shop. My wife said that we have a similar sized Prestone Antifreeze one from her late Mom that would be better in the barn, so this one ended up in the farm house in the most appropriate room.

Ex_Lax_Thermometer.jpg

It was originally from the Buck Morton Pharmacy in Springfield, MO. My folks co-owned the building in the late 1970s / early 1980s.

upload_2019-11-25_14-38-16.png

[​IMG]

upload_2019-11-25_14-42-34.png

Turnip, AbbaDatDeHat and seres like this.
  12. Found my wife’s Granddad’s old fish frying skillet he used for “shore lunches”. I love it because it has a plaid handle (I’ve collected Scotch Plaid items from the ‘50s/‘60s for years).

572EFCA0-2928-4F7D-8586-D177019EA4E1.jpeg

9D5EBD84-DD60-4805-8F4E-CC481CFB3585.jpeg

Turnip and 3fingers like this.
  13. Turnip

Turnip Practically Family

From the „in laws“:

~30 - 40 years old 1/2“ ratchet set, cardan ´s missing but is of course still available.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

B12/MKII Röhm Spiro 0mm-10mm chuck, similar age, same source.

[​IMG]

Way more stuff in shed and cellar, will occasionally make some pix.

Cheers

Turnip

14. earl

earl One of the Regulars

When I was a youngin living on our farm, would love to go up into the attic to check out all the "old stuff" our family stuck up there, some of which I ended up with like things belonging to a great uncle who died in WWII such as his 1864 US Colt musket, his 1915 West Point annual, (he was a graduate of that class which included Eisenhower and Bradley), his early 20th century brass opium containers from southeast Asia. Have another great uncle's WW II memorabilia from the European theater where he served. Service members then had a thing about bringing back German material and have kept his very large Reich service flag out of historical significance. Doesn't make it out of the closet however. I'd discovered the buffalo hide coat in perfect condition in a trunk in that attic which my great grandfather who homesteaded in 1884 owned that no one in the family remembered was up there, though no longer have it. Guess I'm old enough to have valuable "antiques" which, when I bought them, were actually new. Bought a large western oil painting from an undiscovered artist in 1976 for $125. About 6 years back, learned he had become nationally known and a gallery handling his works estimated my painting to then be worth $4000. Only 4 figure painting I'll ever own.:p

Bushman, BobHufford and Turnip like this.
  15. This was the last thing I pulled out of my folks' house before it's put up for sale next week. My sisters told me that it was glued to the wall (in the garage) and no way it was coming down -- that's why it wasn't put in the estate sale. A couple of twists on the bolt and it came right off (which was a bit frightening as it's about 32" across, heavy and sharp). I'm not normally a fan of painted saws, but this was done by the old man across the street from my folks when they lived in a tiny town near Jefferson City, Missouri (St. Thomas) in the early 1980s. They had an 1870s house and Dad was slowly buying up the adjoining properties that included the town's only grocery store (which had closed). The folk-art painting is not quite to scale as the newer building on the right is two story with a mezzanine (and the requisite tin ceiling, etc.) and had double entry doors (with screen doors) that were 9-feet tall. It's quirky enough that it will look good in my shop/barn that is partially finished with old barn wood.

Saw.jpg

The diagonally parked truck appears to be floating. Reminded me of this:

[​IMG]

16. M Brown

M Brown One of the Regulars

600 acres

BobHufford likes this.
  17. earl

earl One of the Regulars

We live in Kansas and have a brick just like it in the brick walkway leading to our front door. Harkens back to the days when their were city ordinances against spitting on the walk.

BobHufford and KSCOM4 like this.
  18. Yahoody

Yahoody Practically Family

I've been blessed many times over with family heirlooms. From my Great Grandparents, through my parents, then sister, to me, a oak hutch and big oak dining room table shipped originally by rail in 1898. Hard to imagine how many moves/places those two pieces have gone through. And my Great Grandfather's pocket watch. Which my Grand Father used as well. Still keeps perfect time.

upload_2020-9-5_1-10-33.png

Grandfather's working gun and leather from the ranch. There is more but some of the best is horse tack and personal gear from both men going back prior to 1900. Some I still use on a regular basis. Their Stetson hats came to early on. But, sadly, gone now. I think about all of the generations before me every time I pick any of it up or just walking by.

Hard to imagine the impression all of those items have made on my life and life style today.

My Grandfather's nickel silver spurs from the '30's.

upload_2020-9-5_1-6-43.png

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
    Bushman, KSCOM4 and BobHufford like this.
  19. KSCOM4

KSCOM4 New in Town

I can remember seeing a few bricks like that on the sidewalk in Norton, KS when I was a kid.

BobHufford likes this.