What Have You Acquired From Family?

Discussion in 'The Display Case' started by Penny Dreadful, Jan 4, 2011.

1. BlueTrain

BlueTrain Call Me a Cab

I have virtually nothing from my side of the family except a few photographs, since we didn't have any money. But my wife has all kinds of things. We even have a Confederate war bond and some money. I have some real antique tools passed on when my father-in-law died. He had enough for all the "boys" in the family to have all they wanted with some left over. But one of the boys was about to move overseas and took nothing. That's really about it, excepf for a few pieces of furniture.

2. Atticus Finch

Atticus Finch Call Me a Cab

Being an only child, I inherited quite a bit of stuff from both sides of my family. Some of it was worth a bit, and some, maybe not so much. These are among my favorite things from my mother's side.

Clockwise from the top: Mom's 1970s No. 4 Lodge skillet. Mom's 1947 No. 10 Lodge skillet...a wedding gift. My great-grandmother's No. 8 Chicago Hardware Foundry skillet with lid. And finally, my grandmother's 1930s, No. 8 Griswold skillet.

I cook on them all.

[​IMG]

AF

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    1955mercury and Bamaboots like this.
  3. BlueTrain

BlueTrain Call Me a Cab

At our house, there's a difference between inheriting something and just hanging on to family stuff until some other family member takes it off our hands.

4. Love the lid on the Chicago Hardware Foundry skillet! We have several Griswold pieces and use it all the time as well.

Atticus Finch likes this.
  5. Atticus Finch

Atticus Finch Call Me a Cab

My great-grandmother's Chicago Hardwear Foundry skillet in action. Making the shrimp part of "Geoff's Low Country Shrimp and Grits".

[​IMG]

AF

6. Excuse the blurry cell phone pic (from 2013). This is just the skillets that are handy (there is so much more cast iron that we had to shore up the pantry). The rack was found in a hardware store that was going out of business.

[​IMG]

1955mercury, Kirk H. and Bamaboots like this.
  7. My wife just got these from her cousin in NYC that she hasn't seen in over a decade. They may be non-PC, but it's OK as my wife is half Seminole.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Stormy Plumtree

Stormy Plumtree New in Town

This wasn't necessarily from family, but I consider it a family heirloom now. I became close with an elderly woman a few years ago. She had no one to pass her mother's wedding dress to, and she was adamant that I take it. The dress is from the 1930's - as well as the headpiece. Miraculously, it fits me like a glove. It's a little wrinkly and needs a good cleaning (it had been sitting in a box for 70 years) but otherwise in beautiful condition. The veil unfortunately was crumbling to bits and I had to throw it away.

I had some nice pictures taken wearing it recently. Not for a wedding, just for fun with a photographer friend. Safe to say it's one of my prized possessions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

alanfgag, Bamaboots, Bushman and 2 others like this.
  9. My mother-in-law had this old paving brick from Kansas.

IMG_7870.jpg

Bamaboots, HanauMan and 1955mercury like this.
  10. Willybob

Willybob A-List Customer

My Grandad's Stetson bowler he gave me in 1978. Fits me perfect.
    image.jpeg

Bamaboots, 1955mercury and BobHufford like this.
  11. Mom gifted me this thermometer to use in our new barn/shop. My wife said that we have a similar sized Prestone Antifreeze one from her late Mom that would be better in the barn, so this one ended up in the farm house in the most appropriate room.

Ex_Lax_Thermometer.jpg

It was originally from the Buck Morton Pharmacy in Springfield, MO. My folks co-owned the building in the late 1970s / early 1980s.

upload_2019-11-25_14-38-16.png

[​IMG]

upload_2019-11-25_14-42-34.png

AbbaDatDeHat and seres like this.
  12. Found my wife’s Granddad’s old fish frying skillet he used for “shore lunches”. I love it because it has a plaid handle (I’ve collected Scotch Plaid items from the ‘50s/‘60s for years).

572EFCA0-2928-4F7D-8586-D177019EA4E1.jpeg

9D5EBD84-DD60-4805-8F4E-CC481CFB3585.jpeg

3fingers likes this.