Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Breaking in Lost Worlds HH in the rain

Bern1

One of the Regulars
Over the last several months I have acquired a couple of used Lost Worlds jackets. Having had the same jackets be fore, I knew what I was going for as far as shaping the jackets.

I bought an Easy Ryder in December. The day after I got it, it poured rain for two straight days. In the morning, I put it outside on a generous broad hangar and went about my chores while the jacket proceeded to get wet. A friend came to visit and we went out. I put the jacket on and pretty much wore it the rest of the day, outside and inside. On my previous Easy Ryder, the mandarin collar was always stiff and I wear the jacket open mostly if I'm not riding. So I turned the collar down halfway and throughout the day I rolled the collar out and tried to put a crease where I thought the "lapels" should be. At night I hung the jacket in the garage on a hanger. Here's how it turned out:
As you can see, when it's zipped up it reverts to its' "normal" shape, but with a little softer edge.
Easy-Ryder-42R.jpg
Easy-Ryder-collar-shape.jpg
EZR-collar-1.jpg
EZR-collar-2.jpg

Then in February I bought a Lost Worlds A2 from a forum member. As luck would have it, it also rained the day after I got this one. I live in California, and it doesn't rain a lot, so it was a sign!
On this jacket, I kind of wanted the same thing, but not so extreme as the Easy Ryder. I like the "pinched" look of the collar with the snaps fastened. However same deal as with the Ryder, I want to be able to turn my head without the edge of the collar hitting my windpipe. So same deal, I put the jacket out in the rain in the morning while I did some chores, then I took off for my normal 45 minute walk, in the rain this time. The jacket got quite wet. After that I hung it up and got ready to go to work. I wore the jacket all day at work. I do a fair amount of moving, lifting, bending, stretching etc on the job so I left the jacket on while I was doing it, as it was pretty wet. However, I didn't start rolling the collar until the afternoon. I wanted somewhat the same effect, but also wanted that military collar look. I think I got it about right. Here's what the jacket looks like. Again it reverts to it's normal shape when zipped. Got a shot with the clasp too, though I find it impossible to use that in real life, I can't figure out how to fasten it when I am wearing the jacket. Fortunately I don't have to.
Now for one of those polka dot silk scarves!

Attachments

• A2-collar-shaped.jpg
    A2-collar-shaped.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 671
  • A2-collar-zipped.jpg
    A2-collar-zipped.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 669
  • A2-military-clasp.jpg
    A2-military-clasp.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 660
  • A2-sun.jpg
    A2-sun.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 747

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
I live about 45 min from LW's, they do not let you go there and try on jackets. No showroom....nothing.

thor

Call Me a Cab
Nice! Those LW hides looks awesome after a soak and some wear and tear. My LW goatskin Raider is starting to crease and grain almost as much as my HH A-2. It's a fun break-in process trying to tame a LW hide. And ButteMT61 is right, they are waterproof! :D

Bern1

One of the Regulars
Thanks all, it's been an interesting quest to reacquire these jackets in the correct size and I've learned a lot.

Treeman, it's true there is no showroom for LW. Imagine if there was and what it would look like!

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bern, now there's an interesting thought. BTW, are you concerned at all about mold or mildew? I'd think you'd want to lay it out in the sun for awhile after hanging it in the garage.

Bern1

One of the Regulars
Bob the jackets all see their fair share of sun. I'm not too concerned with mold or mildew, as I make sure the jacket dries out before I put it in a closet. It's pretty temperate around here , however I just moved to the San Francisco Bay Area , where it is definitely wetter, so perhaps I should pay more attention. Thanks for the heads up!

Very nice jacket. I should try that with the bloody Vanson Mod. B. Or rather, I would if I knew it could get soaked. But it won't.

I must say though, for someone constantly complaining about having their designs stolen, LW sure made that jacket uncannily similar to the 641/141.

Bern1

One of the Regulars
Very nice jacket. I should try that with the bloody Vanson Mod. B. Or rather, I would if I knew it could get soaked. But it won't.

I must say though, for someone constantly complaining about having their designs stolen, LW sure made that jacket uncannily similar to the 641/141.

Pardon my unfamiliarity, what is a 641/141? Vanson?

I seem to see quite a few jackets with a familiar "family" look. Seems reasonable, some designs just "work." Kind of like a lot of guitar players sound sound like Chuck Berry or Eric. Clapton.

Schott cafe racer.

DistressedSchott023.jpg

Brand-New-Schott-641HH-Classic-Racer-jacket-450.jpeg

img57145463.jpg

Aye, obviously, it's hard to avoid a certain familiarity within a certain style, but LW Easy Rider is almost an exact copy of the Schott CR, which in itself has a several rather distinct and unique features I haven't seen on that many mandarin collared jacket - if on any at all.

Reactions: SJC
Eh, dunno. Looking at jackets - esp those that are plain to begin with - it's really hard to say "copy" as it's just the style. Let's get real here, jackets usually have a neck, two sleeves and some pockets. There's so much one can do to differentiate a certain style...unless of course you're running off with the other guy's patterns and such - not that THAT could happen.

Peacoat

Bartender
Pardon my unfamiliarity, what is a 641/141? Vanson?

I seem to see quite a few jackets with a familiar "family" look. Seems reasonable, some designs just "work." Kind of like a lot of guitar players sound sound like Chuck Berry or Eric. Clapton.
Or BB King or Duane Allman, if they can.

strokes1251

Practically Family
My LW A2 gets beat to hell and back and I wore it the past couple of times it rains down here and it just one of those jackets that looks awesome! I always get someone asking who makes it and where can they get one with the "same look" mine has going on. Its got some miles on it lol. Yours look awesome!

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
Thanks all, it's been an interesting quest to reacquire these jackets in the correct size and I've learned a lot.

Treeman, it's true there is no showroom for LW. Imagine if there was and what it would look like!
Called LW's all day yesterday to ask a question about measurements on a Speed Demon and nobody picks up the phone. Other companies like Vanson let you go rite to the factory ( which I will do next week ) and buy a jacket in person. I could drive to Lost Worlds pick out a jacket and be back home in 1.5 hours. No measurements, deliveries, shipping charges, phone calls, returns etc. Everyone wants FQHH, ever wonder what they do with the rest of the animal ? It's him.....STU IS THE HORSES ASS !!!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner