Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is a day worth?

Bugguy

Practically Family
I frequently ask myself this exact question. This is usually when I'm doing a thankless repair task that no-one will see and I get no satisfaction from other than saving the money and hassle of finding a tradesman, scheduling when its convenient for them, and paying them for grudgingly undertaking my project... like they're doing me a favor by taking my money. Frequently, my work is more professional than theirs and often they don't have the correct tools or parts with them. Particularly on DIY construction projects, the plans or requirements change as we (my wife and I) go along and a contractor isn't able to flex if they bid a fixed price. The time I spend yields a product I can enjoy and a good sense of accomplishment.

Since I've started consulting, the time:money equation has changed. Now if I don't work , I don't get paid. So I can assign a hard value to a day off. In essence, I'm now buying my leisure time by foregoing the opportunity to be paid for the time. As a result, I've created a whole new way to guilt myself and be miserable.

So much pathology, so little time.

Haversack

One Too Many
Its all part of the fight against Entropy. Being a home owner means that everything is going to need replacing/repair. Related to this, I tell people in the reenactment/recreation group that I am part of that I am cheap and lazy. If there is something that I want or need to do, and it is within my ability to do it with a modicum of success, I will do it because I don't want to needlessly spend the money. On the other hand, if there is something I need or want and it looks like I'm going to have to make several attempts before I get it right, I'll spend the money to get a professional to do it right the first time. For example I 'needed' an oaken water keg. Coopering is a specialized skill with specialized tools and uses an expensive material. I'd rather spend the money every ten years to purchase a professionally-made keg than to acquire the tools and make several failures before getting it right.. Mind you, sometimes the journey is worth the effort. Always exceptions to the rule.

Every month I get that damn bill from the hospital I wish I'd had the nerve to take out my own appendix.

The two people on earth who are not trained surgeons who could probably do it are you and my girlfriend.

It kills me to this day - two years later - that I had to go to the emergency room for my kidney stone as I didn't know what it was - thought something was exploding inside me - but effectively I paid $4000+ to lay on a gurney for a day in a large ward and be told, "yes, it's a kidney stone and no there's really nothing we can do for you."

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
What is a day worth to you and what defines that? Is there a monetary value on that or something else?

I can't place a specific figure what a day's worth would be. But I know it would be quite
a lot with
hospital expenses should I get hurt doing certain tasks at home today.
In the past, I could haul 100 pound bags of Portland cement instead of paying
the store for delivery for a price.
I can still manage to do most repairs for the car and home.
If the job is beyond my capabilities, w
ith the help of my handyman long time ago
I learned how to get results at very low costs by hiring professionals who work on
their spare time instead of going with the company who charge in the thousands.
I get extreme satisfaction when I can do the job myself no matter
what it is.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
It's worth more than my time on Facebook. I would be horrified if i actually knew how much time in years I've wasted on Facebook since 2007. I have been staying off of it since July 16th.

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
It's not worth my time on Facebook. I would be horrified if i actually knew how much time in years I've wasted on Facebook since 2007. I have been staying off of it since July 16th.

I still have Facebook but only have eleven
friends that I have known for many years.
We keep in touch from time to time but
that's about it...I rarely spend long hours
on the web.
If anything, I spend more time on Fedora.
But I mostly submit a reply when I receive a notification via email.
Otherwise I am doing other things through out the day.
This reply was sent via iPhone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24