Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is a Veteran

freebird

Practically Family
I received this in the mail and thought it would fit in really well here. I was never in the Military, you should 've heard how fast the recruiters would hang up when I told them I am Diabetic.:eek:I finally did get to serve my Country, through Amateur Radio as a Navy MARS operator....(Military Affiliated Radio System). Anyway, here's the article that I received.

What Is A Veteran?

Some veterans bear visible signs of their service: a missing limb, a
jagged scar, a certain look in the eye. Others may carry the evidence
inside them: a pin holding a bone together, a piece of shrapnel in the
leg - or perhaps another sort of inner steel: the soul's ally forged in
the refinery of adversity. Except in parades, however, the men and women
who have kept America safe wear no badge or emblem. You can't tell a vet
just by looking. What is a vet?

He is the cop on the beat who spent six months in Saudi Arabia sweating
two gallons a day making sure the armored personnel carriers didn't run
out of fuel.

He is the barroom loudmouth, dumber than five wooden planks, whose
overgrown frat-boy behavior is outweighed a hundred times in the cosmic
scales by four hours of exquisite bravery near the 38th parallel.

She - or he - is the nurse who fought against futility and went to sleep
sobbing every night for two solid years in DaNang.

He is the POW who went away one person and came back another - or didn't
come back AT ALL.

He is the Quantico drill instructor that has never seen combat - but has
saved countless lives by turning slouchy, no-account rednecks and gang
members into Marines, and teaching them to watch each other's backs.

He is the parade-riding Legionnaire who pins on his ribbons and medals
with a prosthetic hand.

He is the career quartermaster who watches the ribbons and medals pass
him by.

He is the three anonymous heroes in The Tomb Of The Unknowns, whose
presence at the Arlington National Cemetery must forever preserve the
memory of all the anonymous heroes whose valor dies unrecognized with
them on the battlefield or in the ocean's sunless deep.

He is the old guy bagging groceries at the supermarket - palsied now and
aggravatingly slow - who helped liberate a Nazi death camp and who wishes
all day long that his wife were still alive to hold him when the
nightmares come.

He is an ordinary and yet an extraordinary human being, a person who
offered some of his life's most vital years in the service of his
country, and who sacrificed his ambitions so others would not have to
sacrifice theirs. He is a soldier and a savior and a sword against the
darkness, and he is nothing more than the finest, greatest testimony on
behalf of the finest, greatest nation ever known. So remember, each time
you see someone who has served our country, just lean over and say Thank
You. That's all most people need, and in most cases it will mean more
than any medals they could have been awarded or were awarded.

Author Unknown

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Very nice

I think this as good a place as any to add this little tidbit. Maybe we need a specific thread for it.
Anyway, I stopped in at a grocery store on the way home this evening, and there was a pretty elderly gentleman there with his wife, shopping. He had one of those plastic tubes in his nose that goes along with a portable oxygen tank. And he had a cap that said "101st Airborne Division, the Screaming Eagles." So I couldn't not stop and talk. He's apparently had a stroke at some point, because he just can't get words out. His lovely (and oh so proud) wife completed his sentences for him. From what I could gather, he parachuted into Holland some time before D-Day, and was captured. He managed to escape, and get back to England. He wasn't supposed to be part of the D-Day invasion, but he snuck himself onto a glider and crashed the party (you could almost say literally). One of his buddies that he went through the whole war with just died last night. Sigh.
I believe he said his name was Jack Keane, he's 88, and I think he was very pleased indeed that I took the time to talk to him. I always do, and I'm always rewarded.

freebird

Practically Family
We had a family friend who passed away a couple of years ago that went through ww2. I grew up knowing his family, they were neighbors for a number of years, then we moved and they followed us. He never liked the 4th of July, not because of what it celebrates, but because of the fireworks, they reminded him of the war. He served under Patton and he was severely wounded when his division was caught in friendly fire.....strafed from above. I never did get the full story, just that his buddy was calling for him and crawling with "his guts dragging behind him". Pete lost a lung in the incident, and a whole lot of peace of mind as well.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
One of the amazing things about veterans is that you'll rarely come across one who think they are or did anything special. The very few who brag probably didn't, or they have deeper problems.

I am a veteran of the USAF. So is my wife (retired) and my father-in-law. My father and our son are veterans of the Army, my father seeing combat in Korea and our son spending time in Iraq. I cannot speak for them or anyone else, especially those who were drafted. But for myself I consider it an honor to have been allowed to serve and grateful to have been allowed to continue serving despite physical problems from an accident in the early '90s. I've deployed to war zones but never saw any actual combat.

I was fortunate. I originally joined the Air Force in 1980 after being laid off from a factory job. After being in for a few years, while walking down a hallway in the basement of HQ Strategic Air Command as an A1C I suddenly realized that I was doing exactly what I was meant to do with my life. Not too many people have that sort of thing happen to them, military or civilian. That knowledge got me through the rough patches. If I have any regrets it's that I retired three years before I would have been forced to retire at high year of tenure. Had I stayed in I would be preparing to retire right now. I still miss it, and many nights I still have dreams about being in.

In the end, though a veteran, I do not place myself in the same category of those who did and do serve in actual combat, in many cases for years at a time. They are my heros.

Respectfully,
Tom

freebird

Practically Family
I wanted to join the A/F, and probably would've been in around the same time as you......I graduated H.S. in 81, but that diabetic thing didn't allow that. I have a friend who also joined the A/F in 80, haven't seen him in years tho.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
freebird said:
I wanted to join the A/F, and probably would've been in around the same time as you......I graduated H.S. in 81, but that diabetic thing didn't allow that. I have a friend who also joined the A/F in 80, haven't seen him in years tho.

I joined in 1980 myself. I kinda wish I'd joined right out of high school in 1977, but you know how that is. At that time the military wasn't really considered a career option by most--heck, it wasn't even thought of. I did have one friend who went into the AF in 1977, but he was so afraid of what others would think that he didn't tell anyone.

Another friend joined the US Coast Guard. He's a guy I've known since we were about 4 years old. Typical beach bum. Who'd have thought that in the mid-eighties, a couple of months after seeing him as he passed through Austin on his way to his next duty station, I'd read about a rescue he was a part of in Reader's Digest's "Drama in Real Life"? Happened off the coast of Sitka, AK, during a hurricane. The helicopter pilot later went on to become a space shuttle pilot. The rescue diver set a record by deciding to go into the water in conditions no rescue diver had attempted before. Carl, on the winch, at one point looked up to see a wave higher than the helicopter heading towards them. He screamed "Up! Up! Up!" to the pilot--they barely cleared it. In the end they brought home safe a man and his 8 year old son. The US Coast Guard--another group of mostly unsung heros.

Regards,
Tom

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Correct date of Memorial Day

The posting above which mentions the 3 o'clock moment of remembrance has the wrong date. Memorial Day is traditionally May 30th, which is a Friday this year. I have to say, I'm not really in favor of this trend of moving holidays to the nearest convenient Monday, just to give everybody another three day weekend. It cheapens and dilutes the meaning of the day. Memorial Day was originally created to remember the over half million Americans, on both sides, who had perished in the Civil War. That's what makes it an even more poignant day than Veterans' Day. But the correct day is May 30th.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo