Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is American Culture?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Back to American culture.

The following aspect of American culture has diminished significantly since the 1960s, but was very prevalent before then: extreme arrogance in the face of foreign cultures.

(Interestingly, the French, the English and the Germans -- all members of what were then empires -- behaved just as badly. No wonder, perhaps, that America was accused of being imperial. Abroad, its citizens behaved as such.)

Marc Chevalier said:
Yes, they follow their politics closely. Did I say that they make the right choices? Did I say that they're in control of their politicians? No. As you well know, politics is part entertainment, part tragedy. Most Americans simply find it boring.

I am not sure who you talk to but around here there are a great number of people engaged in political dialogue. Part of each? Nah, mostly tragedy.
I imagine they might follow their politics closely but such things as "Compulsary Voting" might have even given them people like Mussolini in Italy. Compulsory voting is a practice that requires citizens to vote in elections or to attend a polling place and get their name crossed off the electoral rolls.
One of the strongest factors affecting turnout is whether voting is compulsory. In Australia, voter registration and attendance at a polling booth have been mandatory since the 1920s. These rules are strictly enforced, and the country has one of the world's highest voter turnouts. Big suprise. Several other countries have similar laws, generally with somewhat reduced levels of enforcement. Bolivian citizens who don't vote may be denied 3 months salary. Drug Lords anyone? In Mexico and Brazil, sanctions for non-voting are minimal or rarely enforced (Just like most of their other laws). When enforced, compulsion has a dramatic effect on turnout. In Venezuela (Peron) and the Netherlands compulsory voting has been rescinded, resulting in substantial decreases in turnout probably for good reason. ;)
So we can't compute voter turnout as interest. What do you base this following their politics closely thing on?

Regards,

J

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
jamespowers said:
When was the last time you went to France mon ami? :rolleyes: ;)
It's a funny thing: whenever I've been in France, I've tried to be polite with the people there. I've even tried to use a phrase or two in French. When I went to Italy and Germany, I did the same thing. Guess what? The French, Italians and Germans were polite with me too. Gosh, I wonder why?

I have seen many rude American tourists in foreign countries. Even when they're not in a touristy resort/hotel/restaurant, ...

-- they expect that everyone be able to speak and understand English. This is especially comical when the tourists have strong regional American accents.

-- they believe that no one will understand their English when they complain to each other (loudly) about the food, the service, the sights, and/or the country itself. They believe that talking loudly everywhere is fine.

-- they believe that decent service merits a smaller tip percentage than it does in the U.S.A. (In other words, a person who gives 15% tips in Ohio becomes a tourist who gives 5% tips in Morocco.)

Marc Chevalier said:
It's a funny thing: whenever I've been in France, I've tried to be polite with the people there. I've even tried to use a phrase or two in French. When I went to Italy and Germany, I did the same thing. Guess what? The French, Italians and Germans were polite with me too. Gosh, I wonder why?

I am glad that was your experience. Then again with your last name they must have done summersaults for you. :p
Germany and Italy I had not problem with. I just like it better here. ;)

Regards,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara