Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is American Culture?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think there's a couple of different answers to this question. On the surface, there's the popular/commercial/consumerist culture -- the culture we tend to export to the rest of the world thru our products, our entertainment, and our politics. But there's also an attitude that has traditionally been associated with America -- independence, self-reliance, the "can-do" sensibility that sums up what used to be called the "American spirit." That, to me, is the real essence of America's culture.

Unfortunately, I think that spirit long ago got turned into a marketing tool -- "ASSERT YOUR INDIVIDUALITY -- BE YOURSELF -- BUY THE PRODUCT EVERYONE"S USING! THINK THE WAY EVERYONE'S THINKING!"-- and that's really cheapened the whole concept. But I don't think the real American spark will ever totally die out -- there's enough independent minded free-thinkers in every generation to keep it going.

Lizzie in Maine

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
No, not Chilean. My wife, on the other hand, is 100% Chilean. I lived in Chile for nearly a decade, so maybe that makes me psychologically Chilean. [huh]

Isn't Chile a nation of immigrants? How can someone be 100% Chilean?[huh]

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'd like to interject that the auto culture we enjoy is purely American. American companies in the past times always built sturdy cars of ample size, power, and comfort for reasonable prices.

Today the interest in those cars up to about 1970-75 is huge. As a culture in most cities we travel by car everywhere due to the fact that with ample room to expand our cities went out instead of up for the most part. We can traverse vast stretches of open spaces on the interstate in our cars in a country where most of our states are as large as most countries in Europe. This is a large and unique difference.

Etienne

A-List Customer
American culture is English, German, Irish, Russian, Mexican, French, Italian, Spanish--you name it-- working alongside each other at the things they KNOW best, in a country that gives them the freedom to BECOME the best they can be. (My 2 cents worth!)

Roger

A-List Customer
Being an immigrant to this country I can say that American culture is private property, private property. It is so wonderful to be able to own your own piece of land with a house and garage, or even a townhouse or condo. In Madeira, where I'm from it is so hard to achieve the wealth we have in America. My goodness; we have 5 televisions in my house and three computers! America is a wonderful place.

skinnychik

One of the Regulars
Along the same lines...

perhaps the culture of America is unappreciated wealth. Cars, houses, televisions in every room...and the think for which I'm guilty...enough clothes in my closet to go 3 months without a repeat.

It becomes clear that the culture has changed when my retro lifestyle doesn't fit inside my vintage house.

On a more patriotic note, there's nothing that says "American" to me more than a hot dog at a baseball game...and the beer is nothing like the German stuff, but I guess it supports the melting pot thought that someone has mentioned earlier.

Blackgrass

One of the Regulars
geo said:
The only original American art form is Jazz, and that by itself is a great contribution to the arts in general.

I would dissagree the Jazz is the only original American art form.
What about Bluegrass invented by Bill Monroe? Rock-n-Roll? Country/Western? Rap? Blues? I don't think anyone else can lay claims to those music styles.

Novella

Practically Family
Blackgrass said:
geo said:
The only original American art form is Jazz, and that by itself is a great contribution to the arts in general.

I would dissagree the Jazz is the only original American art form.
What about Bluegrass invented by Bill Monroe? Rock-n-Roll? Country/Western? Rap? Blues? I don't think anyone else can lay claims to those music styles.

That's so true! I've been taking a class on American popular music and we've talked about all of those. There's also minstrelsy - the professor called that the first truly American music.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Twitch said:
I'd like to interject that the auto culture we enjoy is purely American. American companies in the past times always built sturdy cars of ample size, power, and comfort for reasonable prices.

Today the interest in those cars up to about 1970-75 is huge. As a culture in most cities we travel by car everywhere due to the fact that with ample room to expand our cities went out instead of up for the most part. We can traverse vast stretches of open spaces on the interstate in our cars in a country where most of our states are as large as most countries in Europe. This is a large and unique difference.

Yeah could you imagine 22's, hydraulics, chopped topped, or anything like what we see in California in say; London? or Amsterdam?lol

Marc Chevalier said:
Another aspect of American culture: the political apathy of most of its citizens. Europeans and South Americans follow their nations' politics much more closely.

Hahahahahh! You're kidding right? Hitler, Mussolini, Chamberlain, Peron.....
200px-Musso.jpg

1933h.jpg

PRchamberlainN2.jpg

Jperon.jpg

Yeah they are really careful and follow their politics closely. :rolleyes:

Regards,

J

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
jamespowers said:
Yeah they are really careful and follow their politics closely. :rolleyes:
Yes, they follow their politics closely. Did I say that they make the right choices? Did I say that they're in control of their politicians? No. As you well know, politics is part entertainment, part tragedy. Most Americans simply find it boring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara