What is the name for "Lightweight Canvas"

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by BellyTank, Aug 7, 2008.

  1. Elmonteman

    Elmonteman One of the Regulars

    Cotton Duck

    I think I know what you mean. There is an ebay store that has some interesting 10z stuff: DISCOUNT UPHOLSTERY DRAPERY FABRICS. They call it "Duck Canvas," and have it in at least 10z weight.

    Also, Stuart of Lost Worlds has some great 15oz cotton duck. Check out the sample that is about 9 items down on his list of limited editions: http://www.lostworldsinc.com/Lost_Worlds_Limited_Edition_Jackets.htm

    He's even got it in 4 colors. I like that peacoat!
  2. Bill Taylor

    Bill Taylor One of the Regulars

    The fabric type you are looking for may be what was once long ago called "sail cloth". It was a sort of light weight canvas. It was not the kind of canvas used for sail boat sails, which is very heavy. Also, there was a canvas type material referred to as "cotton ducking" or most generally, just "ducking". Those materials were from the late 30's and up into the 40's or maybe later. As I recall, my mother used ducking for the porch furniture cushion covers in the late 30's.

    Haven't run across those words in 50 years or so, so they be now obsolete.

    Bill Taylor

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.