Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the name for "Lightweight Canvas"

Elmonteman

One of the Regulars
Cotton Duck

I think I know what you mean. There is an ebay store that has some interesting 10z stuff: DISCOUNT UPHOLSTERY DRAPERY FABRICS. They call it "Duck Canvas," and have it in at least 10z weight.

Also, Stuart of Lost Worlds has some great 15oz cotton duck. Check out the sample that is about 9 items down on his list of limited editions: http://www.lostworldsinc.com/Lost_Worlds_Limited_Edition_Jackets.htm

He's even got it in 4 colors. I like that peacoat!

Bill Taylor

One of the Regulars
The fabric type you are looking for may be what was once long ago called "sail cloth". It was a sort of light weight canvas. It was not the kind of canvas used for sail boat sails, which is very heavy. Also, there was a canvas type material referred to as "cotton ducking" or most generally, just "ducking". Those materials were from the late 30's and up into the 40's or maybe later. As I recall, my mother used ducking for the porch furniture cushion covers in the late 30's.

Haven't run across those words in 50 years or so, so they be now obsolete.

Bill Taylor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21