Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the ounce weight of the FQHH Aero uses?

JLStorm

Practically Family
Just curious if anyone knew the oz weight of Aero's chrome tanned FQHH? They mention that their vegetable tanned horsehide is 3oz, but give no weight for the chrome tanned. They way it stands up in the photos many have posted on this board leads me to believe its more along the lines of 4oz?

However...keep in mind that different batch runs can vary. Sometimes..they run heavier. I sold a black Highwayman made several years ago that was unusually heavy compared to most Aero FQHH. Purchased used..the sleeves were too long(26 1/2).
HD

JLStorm

Practically Family
Im confused. I said I wanted thickness and weight and Aero said that I should go with their steerhide because its thicker and heavier than horsehide. If that is the fact...what is the advantage of horsehide over steerhide? Does horsehide develop a better patina? Does it wear better? I know people fall on both sides of the fence...but I always thought durability fell on horsehide more than steerhide?

Cooperson

One Too Many
JLStorm said:
Im confused. I said I wanted thickness and weight and Aero said that I should go with their steerhide because its thicker and heavier than horsehide. If that is the fact...what is the advantage of horsehide over steerhide? Does horsehide develop a better patina? Does it wear better? I know people fall on both sides of the fence...but I always thought durability fell on horsehide more than steerhide?

Have you asked for any hide samples yet? When mine arrived, I couldn't believe the how thick and stiff the heavy steerhide was - way too much for me! Some people have sold heavy steerhide jackets because they found them unwearable. I would definitely get some samples before deciding.

Cheers

JLStorm

Practically Family
Cooperson said:
Have you asked for any hide samples yet? When mine arrived, I couldn't believe the how thick and stiff the heavy steerhide was - way too much for me! Some people have sold heavy steerhide jackets because they found them unwearable. I would definitely get some samples before deciding.

Cheers

No I havent. I have an old 4oz schott steerhide jacket, and I wanted something heavier. I have had samples of the horsehide and was impressed, but wanted to go on the heaviest end of their horsehide. The samples I had were rather small as well though. Anyway, when I said I wanted the heaviest they had somewhere between 4.5 and 5.0 thats when they said just go with streerhide. Im just a bit lost...I thought horsehide was the be all and end all of thick stiff leather?

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Seriously, wait till you get your hands on Aero's samples. I chose horse for my jacket because the sample was more flexible and a little lighter than the cow. If you want heavy, go with the heaviest sample.

JanSolo

Practically Family
The heaviest stuff Aero uses is in fact heavy steerhide. It's almost indistinguishable from horse but it's much heavier and thicker. Aero's leather graduation is presumably in this order (from light to heavy): Cape skin, jerky horse, smooth horse, veg tanned goat, oil pull horse, chrome tanned steer and FQHH (standard and vintage) being almost identical in weight and appearance, super heavy motorcycle steerhide.

You should really get some samples. In the specs 5oz+ leather looks impressive but are you prepared to wear such "medieval armour"?

JLStorm

Practically Family
Creeping Past said:
Seriously, wait till you get your hands on Aero's samples. I chose horse for my jacket because the sample was more flexible and a little lighter than the cow. If you want heavy, go with the heaviest sample.

Yes, definitely want the heaviest. Its a perfect combination of the style jacket I want that will also replace the weight and feel of my favorite "real" motorcycle leather jacket that no longer fits (a contract brand harley davidson which has to be about 5oz +/-). I didnt think aero used leather that thick and heavy so I didnt even think it was an option. Im very excited, now Im not only replacing one jacket, Im replacing two jackets in one. I dont ride anymore, but I do miss the feel of that leather, plus this will be more stylish for a non-rider.

I ordered the jacket this morning...I spoke to Aero it became a cross between a highwayman and cheyenne. They really liked the idea, which surprised me. They will ship it back with my B3 which Im having the sleeves shortened on and entirely overlayed in smooth horsehide (its partially overlayed now) The good news is this saves on shipping charges. Yay!

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Bear in mind they generally charge when the jacket's finished. If the dollar continues to slip this may affect the final cost.

rnrswitch

New in Town
Also, I wasn't under the impression that heavier = better, or more durable. Isn't horsehide more water resistant and holds its color better?

jack miranda

A-List Customer
Hello, JLStorm: I have an Aero Hercules in FQHH and

I had a Bootlegger in Aero's HEAVY steerhide. The FQHH Herc broke in pretty nicely, though, of course it is a heavy weight jacket. I gave up on the steerhide Bootlegger. That is the heaviest, thickest leather jacket I've ever put on. I could not tell if I was wearing it or it was wearing me :) . So, if HEAVY is what you want, Aero's heavy steerhide is the real deal. Hope this helps a bit.

JLStorm

Practically Family
I wish we had a multi-quote feature.

To asnwer your questions, I had them charge my card at the time of the order. I asked them a few times about water resistance, durability, etc. I was assured that both due to the leather and the crhome tanning process they would hold up just as well to the weather, in fact they said I would be very hard pressed to tell the difference between the two leathers. Yes, my motorcycle jacket was always very stiff, eventually it broke in to the point that it was very comfortable to bend my arms most of the way. I loved that thing, but of course it couldnt be an only jacket. I have a butter soft leather jacket as well. It depends on my mood...it definitely sucks not to have the option of putting on the "suit of armor" if I want to that day.

HDRnR

A-List Customer
I have a cordovan half belt in horse and its at least 4oz, it seems heavier than Lost Worlds.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I once had a special Aero Motorcycle jacket in the heaviest and thickest steerhide that the Proprietor (who has seen many hides) had ever seen. Even heavier than their normal 4+ oz - it was just one of those super-thick unsplit hides that come along from time to time - usually they end up as shoe soles. This example taxed their best machinist's ability to make it up. Aero's recent (USA souced) FQHH doesn't come anywhere near it. Neither does LW's, of course.

It was simply the finest, toughest bike jacket I have ever owned in almost fifty years of riding. I have owned Aero (and other) FQHH (and so called FQ) hide jackets and, if you want my recommendation, apart from the 'macho' factor, there isn't a real advantage in practice in horse hide over heavy chromed tanned cow hide. I have lost weight over the years and it no longer fit, so I sold it a couple of years ago, but if I still rode seriously I wouldn't hesitate to have Aero look out for another super-heavy hide for me.

JLStorm

Practically Family
H.Johnson said:
I once had a special Aero Motorcycle jacket in the heaviest and thickest steerhide that the Proprietor (who has seen many hides) had ever seen. Even heavier than their normal 4+ oz - it was just one of those super-thick unsplit hides that come along from time to time - usually they end up as shoe soles. This example taxed their best machinist's ability to make it up. Aero's recent (USA souced) FQHH doesn't come anywhere near it. Neither does LW's, of course.

It was simply the finest, toughest bike jacket I have ever owned in almost fifty years of riding. I have owned Aero (and other) FQHH (and so called FQ) hide jackets and, if you want my recommendation, apart from the 'macho' factor, there isn't a real advantage in practice in horse hide over heavy chromed tanned cow hide. I have lost weight over the years and it no longer fit, so I sold it a couple of years ago, but if I still rode seriously I wouldn't hesitate to have Aero look out for another super-heavy hide for me.

Im not sure whether the steerhide I ended up having them use is heavier than normal. I asked them for the thickest and heaviest horsehide they had and they told me to go with their steerhide instead as they have some 5.5 oz chrome tanned steerhide, so Im going with that. I dont know if thats thicker than their normal super heavy weight steerhide, but either way its the heaviest thing they have in stock so that works for me.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I think you'll be fine with that. There is obviously some variation in hide thickness and weight, (being a natural material and all) and if you ask Aero to select their heaviest hide, that's just what they will do. Believe me, this stuff is a lot heavier and stiffer than their 4+ oz. horsehide. I love it for the sense of security it gives when riding and the firmness when wearing. Enjoy!

JLStorm said:
Im not sure whether the steerhide I ended up having them use is heavier than normal. I asked them for the thickest and heaviest horsehide they had and they told me to go with their steerhide instead as they have some 5.5 oz chrome tanned steerhide, so Im going with that. I dont know if thats thicker than their normal super heavy weight steerhide, but either way its the heaviest thing they have in stock so that works for me.

jac

Familiar Face
Well, I can think of one distinct disadvantage of cow or steerhide; that's the weight of the rain it'll absorb when you're out riding in a downpour.

I love heavy leather, but for the water resistance and the beautifully aging patina, I'm ruined for horsehide!

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Your second point is a matter of personal opinion. Some people like the look and feel of horshide, some prefer cowhide.

Your first point is a matter of fact. A few years ago in an attempt to bring some rationality to this issue on another forum I had the laboratory at the University where I work set up a standard static head porosity test. A column of water was set up with the test material (samples of different leathers from different jacket makers) clamped at the bottom over a measuring flask. The column was filled with water until significant leakage was noted and the height of the water was then measured (the 'static head'). This is a version of the industry standard test for protective clothing.

The test was repeated numerous times (I forget how many). I do recall that there was more difference between different instances of samples than there was between the types of leather (as stated by the supplier). In other words, some cowhide is more waterproof than some horsehide and the other way around. I don't think you can say that all horsehide is more waterproof than all cowhide.

We are dealing with natural materials that have considerable variation in their preparation. I suspect (having some inside knowledge, having worked in the motorcycle clothing business) that the tanning and 'fatting' (oiling) processes contribute a lot to the degree of water resistance of leather. It seems to me that if a leather is very highly oiled, it is bound to make a big difference, irrespective of the density of its surface. I think a manufacturer could make an equally waterproof cowhide if they wanted to.

I live in a very wet area and in around 50 years of riding (wearing various types of hide) I have never experienced significant problems with cowhide clothing. You get wet in both eventually, but it won't kill you. As my mother used to say, you're not made of sugar...

Just my opinion, of course.

jac said:
Well, I can think of one distinct disadvantage of cow or steerhide; that's the weight of the rain it'll absorb when you're out riding in a downpour.

I love heavy leather, but for the water resistance and the beautifully aging patina, I'm ruined for horsehide!

jac

Familiar Face
My remark was the result of years of my own personal observation.
More than a handful of times I've taken off waterlogged cow & steerhide, and been soaked to the skin. Of course, the items I removed felt like they weighed 30 lbs apiece. Exaggerating? Yes, but not by much.
I've got several horsehides, and this has never happened with them.

I, and I'm sure others, would be very interested in knowing exactly which cow and/or steerhides ofter better protection from moisture than horsehide. If you could share that info we'd appreciate it.

Of course my preference is personal taste.
That's the point!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn