Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Is The Strangest Thing You've Ever Seen?

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Grace said:
lol there are a few of those cars in my city. How do they do it??

The strangest thing I ever saw was flying saucers in my own back yard. I swear I'm not nuts. Last summer, we were on our back deck late one night. My husband and I were both looking up at the stars, and suddenly there it was: a luminscent green 'disk' or 'saucer'. It moved effortlessly across the sky. It took maybe 10 seconds to pass out of our site. We sat and watched for a couple of hours and saw 2 more of the exact same kind.

Even my husband, Mr. Skeptic, doesn't know what to think.

This may be tangential, but the French government opened 50 years' worth of files on UFO sightings today: http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=070322143210.oy201j5u&show_article=1

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was in Munich, Germany in 1984 and was absolutely amazed that every car that I saw in the city looked as if it had been pounded by a vandal with a ball-pean hammer! I couldn't imagine what the heck had gone on in that city. No paint chips - no other damage on the sides of the cars - just the roofs, trunk and hood - hammered into a perfect moonscape of smooth craters.

I discovered later that the week prior a violent hailstorm had passed over the city. Every exposed car had been pounded by hard, round hailstones. Most people had already had their windshields replaced, leaving the car bodies mottled with the storm damage. Fascinating, I tell ya!

-dixon cannon

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
I know someone like that here. Lincsong can back me up on this. Linda, name changed to protect the compulsive, has went through three cars like this. One is still in her driveway and the other is the one she uses. :eek: I guess you can't sell a car so overloaded with papers and junk that the back wheels go flat.
You should see her porch if you think the car is bad. I don't think a foot has been laid on it since 1952. :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J
Maybe everyone has seen someone like that in their town? There was an eccentric science teacher in my town that always had a car literally packed with stuff. I think these people are compelled to drive around with all that stuff in their cars as they maybe feel that some item just might be essential at any given time?

Maj.Nick Danger said:
Maybe everyone has seen someone like that in their town? There was an eccentric science teacher in my town that always had a car literally packed with stuff. I think these people are compelled to drive around with all that stuff in their cars as they maybe feel that some item just might be essential at any given time?

I have no idea but I do know who our town packrat is. :p
I am sure there are others all over the country. Some people just can't let things go into the trash. I know I have a few items that likely could but they might be useful for something some day. [huh] :p

Regards,

J

BegintheBeguine

Sad

Apparently my in-laws' house is like that. I have never been allowed inside. Granted, I have a lot of collectibles stuffed into my huge house but I throw away my garbage and recycle my recyclables. Once my husband went to their house while they were out and threw away some garbage. They came home, freaked out, and brought it back in. He once had a valuable piece of mail sent to their house. His mother couldn't find it but she can certainly produce a wad of Lottery tickets from 1997 from her suitcase-sized purse. Losing, of course, is there any other kind?

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Science teachers

EVERY single science teacher I had was always very weird and well, a few sandwhiches short of a picnic basket. Through middle school I had the same one...this older guy who in the next room had all sorts of his 'experiments' out for display. There were a few fish tanks that looked like they haven't been cleaned out in years with some goldfish in them (and unbelievably still living)...I never got past the goldfish, but there were more..

mysterygal said:
EVERY single science teacher I had was always very weird and well, a few sandwhiches short of a picnic basket. Through middle school I had the same one...this older guy who in the next room had all sorts of his 'experiments' out for display. There were a few fish tanks that looked like they haven't been cleaned out in years with some goldfish in them (and unbelievably still living)...I never got past the goldfish, but there were more..

Yep, I had several Floyd the Barber type science teachers as well. I wouldn't let them cut my hair either.:p
1131.JPG

Regards,

J

Sunny

One Too Many
Dixon Cannon said:
I was in Munich, Germany in 1984 and was absolutely amazed that every car that I saw in the city looked as if it had been pounded by a vandal with a ball-pean hammer! I couldn't imagine what the heck had gone on in that city. No paint chips - no other damage on the sides of the cars - just the roofs, trunk and hood - hammered into a perfect moonscape of smooth craters.

I discovered later that the week prior a violent hailstorm had passed over the city. Every exposed car had been pounded by hard, round hailstones. Most people had already had their windshields replaced, leaving the car bodies mottled with the storm damage. Fascinating, I tell ya!

-dixon cannon

I guessed it halfway through your first paragraph! :eusa_clap Alas, I'm from a region that's particularly prone to violent storms with large hail. I've seen those "golf-ball" cars way too often.

The worst storm I can remember was in 1992; that hail was baseball-sized and larger. The really funny thing is that our 1972 Buick LeSabre spent the storm outside and emerged without a dent. They made them cars tough in them days!! :eek:

Trying to be on topic... That reminds me, I remember seeing the 1992 storm approach in the evening. My brother had a t-ball practice in the park. Off to the northwest was a diagonal slash of dark blue and gray that steadily grew nearer as I watched. I've seen plenty of storms, before then and since, but it was unusual in its solidity and straight lines. That cloud had certainly hit its top boundary in the atmosphere long before. I knew very little about weather then - I was only 9! - but I still remember it.

Trampilot

Familiar Face
Jerekson said:
Wait, wait, wait!

What happened to the plane!?! We need more details! :rage:

ok ok!!

The lightning blew it up and it crashed into a nearby nuclear power station. The radiation rendered me with super pow ... no hold on. That wasn't me. Sadly(?) nothing happened. The plane carried on its way and the storm continued to ... storm.

On the subject of Roswell...

My mum has seen a UFO (in the correct sense of Unidentified Flying Object). She was walking the dogs at around 6am so it was pretty dark - I think it was winter. And she saw a ring of lights gliding across the sky. Hundreds more people saw it too and it made the local media as well as a recent UK tv documentary. I think it was about 1992.

My dad has witnessed ball lightening too. This was when he was a nipper and remembers being in school and the teacher suddenly telling everyone to get under their desks. Being just after the war this was pretty normal! But he saw what he descrbed as an orb of burning light fly through the room. Most weird.

Dan G

One of the Regulars
Trampilot said:
My dad has witnessed ball lightening too. This was when he was a nipper and remembers being in school and the teacher suddenly telling everyone to get under their desks. Being just after the war this was pretty normal! But he saw what he descrbed as an orb of burning light fly through the room. Most weird.

That's Crazy!!:eek:

Dr Doran

pigeon toe said:
That's honest to god the most disgusting thing I have ever read in my entire life! :eek:

If you think it was disgusting to READ, imagine how disgusting it was to OPEN THE LID AND SEE THEM/IT, writhing.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
This might not be strange, but it is funny;

In school my friends Dad was about 300 pounds, wore an A-shirt with stains and was unshaven. Anyway when he'd come pick my friend up from school he'd be driving his 1972 Mercury Montego with his gut resting on the steering wheel and his chihuahua either resting on his gut or sticking his head out the passengers side barking incessantly. lol

BegintheBeguine

lol lol lol I needed that.
Second strangest thing, I was driving to the pub. I never look over at the car beside me at the light but this time I did. The person looked to be drinking something out of a shoe! A block away I parked and walked into the pub. The English gal bartender said in a shocked voice, "Ashley, what happened?!" I told her I saw a guy drinking out of a shoe! Without a word she built me a pint of Myers rum and orange juice, on the house. Don't know why we all found this so freaky but we did.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
I know someone like that here. Lincsong can back me up on this. Linda, name changed to protect the compulsive, has went through three cars like this. One is still in her driveway and the other is the one she uses. :eek: I guess you can't sell a car so overloaded with papers and junk that the back wheels go flat.
You should see her porch if you think the car is bad. I don't think a foot has been laid on it since 1952. :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J

Name changed?:eek: Who are trying to fool? That hog also uses cheap red dye on her hair and this awful looking green outfit with bright hibiscus flower pattern. :D

Trampilot said:
ok ok!!

During the mid '50s,as a small child,I was playing in the back yard. A sunny summer day. The old lady next door was raking up bush clippings near the ajoining alley...when a ball of fire trailing flames bounced and danced in the air down the alley. As it passed her she was surprised and swatted at it with the rake. It made a crackling noise and scared the hell out of me while traveling down the alley until behind buildings outa sight. She saw me and said not to be afraid,that it sometimes happened in the heat of the summer.
A few years later one just like it came bouncing and crackling down the street as a buddy and I rode our bikes. Static electricity?? Something to do with that time period?? Would like to know! Never seen anything like that since! Weird!!
HD

RAF Man

One of the Regulars
Dixon Cannon said:

-dixon cannon

I worked for an airline back then and we had three quarters of a million pound damage to one of our Boeing 727s when the storm went through Munich. The noise in the aircraft was unbelievable and just glad it was on the ground.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
About 30 years ago there was a drought here in Northern California and there was all this talk about water conservation and rationing and so forth. So a lot of people dug wells in their backyards because they didn't want the water to be rationed and their lawns forced to die. Most people took a standard post hole digger and put attachments on it. In my neighborhood the water table was about 12 feet. So my friends Dad didn't have 20 feet of attachments so he dug a huge hole, like the old fashioned wells and dug it 12 feet. It was a really wide hole as he could put a ladder down there and put his 300 pound self. He then took his 8 feet of attachments and completed the well.:D

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Doran said:
If you think it was disgusting to READ, imagine how disgusting it was to OPEN THE LID AND SEE THEM/IT, writhing.

Oh god, you poor man! Ever since I read that I think about it once every couple of days!

I have this love/hate fascination with bugs and all sorts of creepy crawly things ever since our house got infested with these little beetle things. I was in 3rd grade and we came home from vacation and the whole living room wall was crawling with them! I swear that house was haunted and that's why things like that kept happening. Water would leak out of electrical sockets, and my dad fell through the roof. It was unbearably cold, even in the summer, and my aunt said she heard voices in the kitchen one night. The room right off of the kitchen used to be the bedroom of the previous owner's older son, who had hung himself from a tree at a nearby lake!

The day we moved out a sick deer (covered in tumors and sores) wandered into our front yard and drowned in our pool.

Definitely haunted!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen