What is this jacket?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by jeep44, Nov 30, 2019.

1. jeep44

jeep44 One of the Regulars

My local Salvation Army had a "black Friday" sale today, with any 5 purple-tagged items for $5. I picked up this leather motorcycle jacket, normally for sale at $49.99, for $1-it had a purple tag! (I got 4 other items, too). There are no identifying marks in this jacket, other that a couple of cutters tags, and a "Leathercraft Process" tag, with a Rozelle, NJ address. The snaps have no marks-the zips are YKK. The jacket is very clean-almost unworn-looking. Being that this is the Detroit area, I'm thinking this is a Reed jacket, but another Reed I have, in almost the same style, has a cleaning tag inside with a McNichols Ave, Detroit address.There is provision for a zip-in liner. 76898664_2987990367895211_1030319833486458880_o.jpg Could this jacket be a Schott? It is a light grey color.

2. Guppy

Guppy My Mail is Forwarded Here

That is a common pattern that was made in the 1970s, maybe the early 80s, but a number of makers: I've seen them with Brooks, Schott, Lesco, Excelled labels. If the snap heads don't have any identifying logo on them, then who knows. It's probably worth around $100 assuming in good shape, which it looks to be. The leather on them tends to be fairly average.

3. jeep44

Well, whatever it is, it's well worth the dollar I paid for it....

AeroFan_07, ton312 and JMax like this.
  4. ton312

ton312

I love those gray CR’s! I had a few Brooks like that. Same color. Judging from the collar I’d guess it’s a Reed. That’s an incredible pick up for stinkin’ one dollar bill!

AeroFan_07 likes this.
  5. Gamma68

Gamma68 One Too Many

Can you post a photo of the back?

6. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 Call Me a Cab

Best $1.00 ever spent! :)

Nice find there...

7. jeep44

Here's the back. As you can see, almost unworn in appearance, and doesn't smell,either. I like this one-fits well, and not too valuable to wear, unlike the Buco I found earlier this year. 78876213_2993976137296634_4982936003581837312_o.jpg

AeroFan_07 likes this.
  8. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

Grey is a great color

9. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 Call Me a Cab

I agree, and this is a great Daily Driver jacket!

navetsea and ton312 like this.
  10. ton312

ton312

I need to find one of these again...I’m sure it will cost more than a dollar. LOL

11. Gamma68

Gamma68 One Too Many

No tags in any of the pockets? It doesn’t appear to be a Lesco.

12. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Yeah - I got a mint, mid-brown Brooks version for $130 US. These were early 1980's jackets and from my experience with them the leather and stitching had actually improved in the Brooks world at that point.

ton, you own one of these (brown, size 44) with a cool late '70's shirt collar don't you?

13. Will Zach

Will Zach Practically Family

Jeep44 - between $1 for this and $20 for the Buco you are doing good. Have any stock tips? ;)

Peacoat and jeep44 like this.
  14. jeep44

Well, not a stock tip, but car and motorcycle swap meets are a good place to find leather jackets-I picked up a nice tan Brooks jacket at one a few years ago, for not much money. I usually see jackets at every one I go to. I visit the local thrift where I got this jacket almost every day around the time they are stocking the store-that's how you find stuff like this.

Will Zach likes this.
  15. ton312

ton312

Not anymore. I did though and these jackets are almost always good.